Oil analysis results for 2008 Ford Edge 3.5L with 268,000 miles

macbwt

akirby,

The historical oil changes have been conventional motor oil (non snythetic) at intervals of 4-6K miles with a filter change each time. 5-20 oil. About 6 months ago I believe I shifted to Mobile One high mileage due to seal leakaged. I document all my changes due to business expenses so yes each is recorded. The tranny fluid is changed about 90k. Please note I change the oil every month like clockwork. I do this because of the miles I drive so I found it easier to just change it monthly thus the 2K mileage swing.

Can you confirm oil/filter and oil change intervals? I want to document this for all the naysayers.

Ok a little more information from the Mobil one xpress lube located at Davenport Iowa. They have been servicing all of my vehicles for many years. Great place and honest christian owned family business. That being said. The filter that has been used int the 2008 ford edge forever has been the Generic Mobil one filter that goes by the name (Promotive) this is a dealer filter unmarked with only the filter number on it. Must be good enough to have gotten me to this point. Again I change my oil monthly no matter what. The laws of averages for my driving come out to about 5k miles per oil change with new filter. Keep in mind I change my wifes oil filter and oil out every three months and at times she only has 1500 miles on the odometer. I also know it has about as many miles of idle time from her waiting for our kids at school etc. so I change it earlier but take in account the idle time. Plus her driving is all gas and brake if you know what i mean.

What has your normal drain interval been?

Oil is the lifeblood of the engine, so regular changes are a GOOD thing. And with all the highway mileage you put on the Edge, 4-6K is actually more like 3-4K in city/mixed driving. Which is what is recommended for conventional oils anyway. Any idea what brand conventional (not looking to turn this into BITOG, but good to know)?

Never used synthetic oil in the edge all mobile one 5-20 conventional oil until recently. Most likely I have saved thousands in oil changes. Keep in mind with the miles I have driven I have changed out approximately 300 quarts of oil and 54 filters. Spending about or just under 3k dollars on oil changes in four years. I am not a true believer of any specific oil brand or synthetic oils. I change out my oil at the location Xpress lube based on their customer relations and service. To me oil is oil and they all try to meet the standards so just change it out regularly and you will be fine. My car is a work car I make money with it and I need reliability so I fix everything as soon as possible. This is the key point that keeps a car running. I have seen many people not even change the oil and then complain that the engine blew up. I do know one thing. When this engine does give up it will most likely be metal fatigue, immediate and catastrophic

So you're not using Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend?

Edited by macbwt

Yes the water pump is the original OEM water pump as with the other accesories attached to the engine everything is original. The only items I have changes is one O2 sensor, the PCV valve and the spark plugs. All fluids have been changed with the exception of the brake fluid which I am unsure if the fluid was changed by the brake installers as part of the brake package. Other wise what you see is an original 2008 Ford edge engine and tranny wise. Last thing is engines are designed to run. I run my edge at a near continous speed at even operation temps for long periods of time. This type of driving does not wear down an engine or tranny. I want everyone to understand my driving is out of the norm when comes to what the average person does with their Ford Edge or any other vehicle for that matter.

Are all 268k on the same water pump? That would be a real miracle!

• Like 1

Congrats on your maintenance/upkeep of your Edge. Today, we usually keep cars for 6-8 years, the exception as back in 1988, when I bought a new Taurus. Had a '79 Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham, a sweet car. Had 150,000+ miles on it, the wife said I better buy a new car, this wouldn't last forever, hence the '88 Taurus. Sold the Olds to a local trans repair shop, knew the guy for many years. He kept it until it had 325,000 miles on it, and sold it to a kid. It still ran well, but he had a chance to pick up a car with a lot less miles on it. They key factor to longevity is keep the oil & filter changed ( I did it ever 3K ), keep it well tuned, and trans service ever 60K & radiator flush every 60K also. I hate when people say that American products aren't as good as foreign. I've never had problems with our cars, all American except one '87 Honda Accord, that went through 3 CV boots in five years ! ( ugh) Got rid of that, put the wife in a '92 Taurus LX (top model). She drove Taurus's, then Ford Five Hundred, and switched her into a '09 Lincoln MKS which she still drives (and loves). I have a '12 MKX, great vehicle, plan to keep it for at least 8-10 years.

• Like 2

To be honest I have owned the following vehicles with no engine issues as far as oil related: 2002 Suzuki (water pump issues and ignition issues) 196K miles and the worst handling vehicle I ever owned with the exception of the 2008 Chevy HHR 117K miles and it had more ignition, intake manifold, O2 sensors and suspension issues than I could keep up with. I ditched the HHR and purchased the currently operating 2008 Ford Edge I have today, which is the most mileage least amount of maintenance issues I have ever had in a vehicle mile for mile. The wife had a 2004 Chevy Suburban 167K miles that felt rear axles were a consumable part along with some engine issues that I do not want to talk about for fear of PTSD. We then had a GMC Denali XL 128K miles that was a very good vehicle with no real problems. Really liked it only fault on that 2007 Denali was even though GMC proclaimed it a tough truck I had to replace multiple window regulators and three door handles that were literally ripped off the body by one teen age 98lbs girl and one 9 year old girl!! Not that tough. One other vehicle was the 2004 Honda Odessy 248K miles which was just a safety hazard with the airbag light on all the time. Currently banished to the street I have a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer with 111K miles that has engine misfires that I can not find or fix at the moment even after replacing the plugs and one coil along with cleaning the throttle body. This one I am stuck with and will work on hoping the engine just blew up as it only runs on 4 cylinders at least then I could use the extended warranty to fix it. I just feel comfortable in the ford edge it is just big enough without being too big and just small enough without feeling too small. It is just right.

Does the 2008 have a maintenance reminder system that provides oil life and then suggests when you change the oil? That was the main reason I asked the question on your drain interval. I have a 2012 that, when my father owned it, he would follow the computer suggested change interval around 7,000 miles. When the vehicle became mine I changed to 5,000 interval deciding that I knew better than the computer.....

Just remember once your monitor says change the oil it means change the oil. Oil that breaks down becomes very thin and watery while losing it's viscocity and ability to protect from metal on metal wear. It took me years just to break the 3k oil change habit and you still have oil change places that put stickers with the 3k oil change reminder. After all they make more money when you change your oil more often. I feel comfortable in my old habits of 5-6 k oil changes and view it as cheap insurance. The 2011 has a monitor on it and i will most likely follow it to a point 20 percent left and I will change it.

• 3 weeks later...

I checked the Oil life monitor on the 2011 and it reads 35 percent. Too lazy to read the book but does this count down? or up? I am assuming down from 100percent. Another strange thing is the miles since last oil change on the tag reads about 1200 miles yet the Oil monitor states 35 percent. The oil was last changed in Sept 2014. I am changing no matter what as I do not fully trust a used car dealer on things and will also change the tranny fluid if the guys say it needs to be changed.