Reverse cam woes

This is an aftermarket brand, somewhat misleading with their name. Usually I look to the section about item specifics that provides the info I want

For example

Item specifics

Condition: New

Brand: no.1-oem

UPC: Does not apply

Manufacturer Part Number: BT4T-19G490-AF

Warranty: Yes

Quantity: 1 pcs

Re: 08-23

Other Part Number: BT4T19G490AF;BT4Z-19G490-B;BT4Z19G490B;BT4Z-19G490-A;BT4Z19G490A

Might be just me. but the machining of Ford parts plastic is a lot better than shown in the accompanying pics for this item.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

• 3 weeks later...

I just replaced my camera with ease thanks to everyone here. I installed the replacement camera i bougth off eBay for $50.

The image is upside down. The part number on the replacement camera i have is BT4T-19G490-AF. Im sure for $50 it is not a ford oem part of course. The only difference i see is my original ends with a E instead of the F. Obviously this isnt going to work can someone point me in the right direction where i could get a camera that will work besides going to ford for it? A link a ebay store, im just not sure what to get i dont want to have to ship another one back. Thank you in advance.

I just replaced my camera with ease thanks to everyone here. I installed the replacement camera i bougth off eBay for $50.

The image is upside down. The part number on the replacement camera i have is BT4T-19G490-AF. Im sure for $50 it is not a ford oem part of course. The only difference i see is my original ends with a E instead of the F. Obviously this isnt going to work can someone point me in the right direction where i could get a camera that will work besides going to ford for it? A link a ebay store, im just not sure what to get i dont want to have to ship another one back. Thank you in advance.

Same issue with the first camera I bought on ebay, image upside down and no calibration possible. I have returned it and bought this one : http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-OEM-11-12-Edge-Rear-View-Backup-Back-Up-Camera-BT4Z19G490B/162171150605

More expensive but is OEM, and works perfectly fine on my 2012 Edge.

• Like 1

Wow yes definitely a big change from the $50. but you get what you pay for. Its weird ever since i put my original cam back in it works everytime i switch to reverse. Of course no lines anymore. I might see if it will stay working and program with forscan when iget the cable. I greatly appreciate the info on the camera. Its a shame there isnt a cheaper alternative.Thank you.

Have you tried turning them back on?

> Menu > Vehicle > Rear View Camera

The fixed guideline options are ON and OFF

In my 2012 sport, the fixed guidelines are (normally) always there, there is no option to turn them on and off, only the advanced park aid(colored blocks) and camera delay.

I've been having this same issue, bought a bluetooth obII scanner(the one wlepse linked in his thread on the matter) hoping a recalibration would fix it.

recalibrating fixes it temporarily, but the guidelines disappear again after a while. For example, if I were to recalibrate in the evening, they would stay for a couple short trips and when I park for the night(I back into my spot), but be gone again in the morning.

I'm thinking my next step will be to replace the camera to regain 100% function(I like having the guidelines and colored blocks), but would rather not have to pay the crazy prices these things are going for.

Didn't somebody mention somewhere on this forum that they bought one for an explorer or something for pretty cheap and everything worked after a calibration with forscan?

I tried to do everthing but nothing changes. Now with the factory cam back i am getting the see dealer notice once in a while still.

I just ordered another off ebay to try. Im sure its a china knockoff. It has a different part number. I will post any changes if any.

Edited by pcameron01

For anyone that is having camera issues and wants to swap out the camera (if thats the defective part) here is what I did to get the camera out.

attachicon.gifIMG_1501.jpg

First remove the 4 screws in the hand grip area of the lift gate.

Next pop off the big interior panel. Kinda have to tug a bit but is will come off.

locate the 6 nuts across the back of the trim piece and remove.

Now find the the 2 plastic push clips on either end of that row of nuts. Squeeze with a needle nose and push out.

Undo the small black wire connector and the flat grey one.

I popped out the plate lights and wire harness prior to any of this..

Now that its off the ONLY way to get the camera out is to remove bracket holding it down....this is tricky.

attachicon.gifIMG_1505.jpg

This is the bracket.

It has one star head screw holding it in.

attachicon.gifIMG_1503.jpg

You will see the back of it in that hole.

Getting to the front will only happen with tiny tools. OR...you can do what I did and Dremel a slit in the tip of the screw and use a tiny flat head to back it out.

attachicon.gifIMG_1504.jpg

No guts no glory LOL

I reassembled in reverse order..camera/ bracket/ screw(if for some reason you royally screw up in removal I suggest a very small nut and bolt combo to reattach the bracket) wire harness/ lights....

So one thing I noticed when ordering a new camera is that there is 2 listed a older dated one and and a newer one. Im going to try the newer one and see what happens. I base this fix souly on reading other forums and people having this issue fixed at the dealer, stating that the fix was replacing the camera and reprograming it to get the guide lines working.

DISCLAIMER: I take no responsibility for anyone who screws their car up. Attempt at your own risk!

Thanks for the helpful instructions. Ford Dealer wanted over $1000 to replace the camera. Thanks to these steps I was able to do it on my own in just a couple of hours. Yes, that screw is a beast to get out. My neighbors and I thought we could try several things that might work, but ultimately I used the Dremel to create the notch and reversed it out. Replaced it with a rivet so that if I ever have to do it again I can just drill out the rivet, but hopefully the replacement camera will last longer than the vehicle. No grid lines like others said. Factory reset and such doesn't do anything. I am curious if anyone has any recommendations on a DIY reprogram for the grid lines, and/or if you have taken it to the dealer for just the gridlines and how much that was, and what the experience was? Thanks again to the community and all the great tips for helping save me a lot of $$$. My wife is happy that she can see when she backs up now using her camera. Seems to me that as many people as there are having this problem, Ford would fix this and do a recall or something, but oh well.. Such is life.

For anyone that is having camera issues and wants to swap out the camera (if thats the defective part) here is what I did to get the camera out.

attachicon.gifIMG_1501.jpg

First remove the 4 screws in the hand grip area of the lift gate.

Next pop off the big interior panel. Kinda have to tug a bit but is will come off.

locate the 6 nuts across the back of the trim piece and remove.

Now find the the 2 plastic push clips on either end of that row of nuts. Squeeze with a needle nose and push out.

Undo the small black wire connector and the flat grey one.

I popped out the plate lights and wire harness prior to any of this..

Now that its off the ONLY way to get the camera out is to remove bracket holding it down....this is tricky.

attachicon.gifIMG_1505.jpg

This is the bracket.

It has one star head screw holding it in.

attachicon.gifIMG_1503.jpg

You will see the back of it in that hole.

Getting to the front will only happen with tiny tools. OR...you can do what I did and Dremel a slit in the tip of the screw and use a tiny flat head to back it out.

attachicon.gifIMG_1504.jpg

No guts no glory LOL

I reassembled in reverse order..camera/ bracket/ screw(if for some reason you royally screw up in removal I suggest a very small nut and bolt combo to reattach the bracket) wire harness/ lights....

So one thing I noticed when ordering a new camera is that there is 2 listed a older dated one and and a newer one. Im going to try the newer one and see what happens. I base this fix souly on reading other forums and people having this issue fixed at the dealer, stating that the fix was replacing the camera and reprograming it to get the guide lines working.

DISCLAIMER: I take no responsibility for anyone who screws their car up. Attempt at your own risk!

Thanks for the helpful instructions. Ford Dealer wanted over $1000 to replace the camera. Thanks to these steps I was able to do it on my own in just a couple of hours. Yes, that screw is a beast to get out. My neighbors and I thought we could try several things that might work, but ultimately I used the Dremel to create the notch and reversed it out. Replaced it with a rivet so that if I ever have to do it again I can just drill out the rivet, but hopefully the replacement camera will last longer than the vehicle. No grid lines like others said. Factory reset and such doesn't do anything. I am curious if anyone has any recommendations on a DIY reprogram for the grid lines, and/or if you have taken it to the dealer for just the gridlines and how much that was, and what the experience was? Thanks again to the community and all the great tips for helping save me a lot of $$$. My wife is happy that she can see when she backs up now using her camera. Seems to me that as many people as there are having this problem, Ford would fix this and do a recall or something, but oh well.. Such is life.

Well i received another camera from ebay, installed and same issue reversed image.

Installed original and reprogrammed the lines.

Worked for a day. Looks like i will have to bite the bullet and order the $200 one.

Bryan as said above you can reprogram the factory lines on it with a usb to OBD cable and a free program called Forscan. You can youtube a video on how to do it. It takes minutes to do. Dealer wants $80 just for the reprogramming.

Edited by pcameron01
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I was having camera issues (first no backup lines, then no camera detected, upside-down image, etc.) I ended up buying a camera off of eBay (FL1T-19G490-AC) for about $40. I installed yesterday using the method posted by xK317Hx in this thread. It's working perfectly! Backup lines returned immediately after replacing the camera, and the camera is working great.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I was having camera issues (first no backup lines, then no camera detected, upside-down image, etc.) I ended up buying a camera off of eBay (FL1T-19G490-AC) for about $40. I installed yesterday using the method posted by xK317Hx in this thread. It's working perfectly! Backup lines returned immediately after replacing the camera, and the camera is working great.

I bought this one ( FL1T-19G490-AC Rear View Backup Parking Assist Camera For Ford Edge 11-13 MKX) $35.99 before I even saw this thread. I installed it yesterday.The image is okay but it is upside down and shows no lines, (toggling the settings on/off has no effect}. I have downloaded Forscan and a bluetooth OBD2 connecter is in the mail. I bought a [ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 CAN Scanner Wireless Switch Diagnostic Tool Forscan Ford]. US $15.79 Ebay. It says it supports Forscan. Fingers Crossed.

I bought this one ( FL1T-19G490-AC Rear View Backup Parking Assist Camera For Ford Edge 11-13 MKX) $35.99 before I even saw this thread. I installed it yesterday.The image is okay but it is upside down and shows no lines, (toggling the settings on/off has no effect}. I have downloaded Forscan and a bluetooth OBD2 connecter is in the mail. I bought a [ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 CAN Scanner Wireless Switch Diagnostic Tool Forscan Ford]. US $15.79 Ebay. It says it supports Forscan. Fingers Crossed.

P.S. There is a Field Service Action Item for some vehicles. It is an extended coverage item and relates to the APIM. You do not even have to be the original owner. You can schedule an appointment, (maybe) and Ford will run a diagnostic on the APIM to determine if it is faulty. Of course I voided this when I replaced the camera.

• FSA Title: SYNC WITH MYFORD MYLINCOLN TOUCH WARRANTY EXTENSION COVERING ACCESSORY PROTOCOL INTERFACE MODULE APIM
  • Field Service Action Number: 12M02
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update: The Ford Modified ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 adapter I purchased did not work properly. It would read most modules but then freeze up. I know quite a bit about trouble shooting and communication parameters but I could not get it to work. I then purchased a ford modified usb cable OBD2 adapter that worked perfectly with Forscan in both HS and MS mode. I was not able to calibrate the clone camera I installed and have decided to just live with the upside down image and no lines. (Forscan states that camera calibration is no possible at this time). At least I can see whats behind me with the cheap clone camera. The adapter that worked for me says VINT OBDII on it. The box it came in says bbFly PRO ObdII. ($22) It is a usb cable adapter not a bluetooth adapter. They both have the HS/MS switch on them. I was able to get new keys programed in the car though. I only had one key so atleast I did not have to pay a locksmith. The cheap bluetooth adapter that did not work has a blue Ford logo on it and says modified in small font.

Update: The Ford Modified ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 adapter I purchased did not work properly. It would read most modules but then freeze up. I know quite a bit about trouble shooting and communication parameters but I could not get it to work. I then purchased a ford modified usb cable OBD2 adapter that worked perfectly with Forscan in both HS and MS mode. I was not able to calibrate the clone camera I installed and have decided to just live with the upside down image and no lines. (Forscan states that camera calibration is no possible at this time). At least I can see whats behind me with the cheap clone camera. The adapter that worked for me says VINT OBDII on it. The box it came in says bbFly PRO ObdII. ($22) It is a usb cable adapter not a bluetooth adapter. They both have the HS/MS switch on them. I was able to get new keys programed in the car though. I only had one key so atleast I did not have to pay a locksmith. The cheap bluetooth adapter that did not work has a blue Ford logo on it and says modified in small font.

Have you discussed with the person who sold you the camera? The ones I spoke to on eBay before purchasing guaranteed the image would not be upside-down as I knew it was a common issue with these replacement cameras. You could try getting them to send you a new one which may resolve the issue, or try a different model.

Thank you for your interest in a class action lawsuit against Ford for the door latch defect in specific Ford and Lincoln vehicles. On April 4, 2017, McCune Wright Arevalo, LLP filed a class action lawsuit for this issue on behalf of owners and lessees of the following vehicles:

• Ford Edge (2011-2014)
  • Ford Flex (2013)
  • Lincoln MKX (2011-2015)
  • Lincoln MKT (2013)

There is no need to do anything further if you wish to become a class member since the lawsuit is filed on behalf of all current or former owners and lessees of these vehicles located in the United States.

If you have paid out of pocket due to the door latch failure, please keep your receipts and repair records. We believe that Ford should reimburse their customers for damages due to this issue and continue to provide repairs for those who may experience this in the future. There is no guarantee of our success in this case. We will continue to keep you updated as we progress with this matter.

Thank you,

McCUNE WRIGHT AREVALO, LLP

T: 909.557.1250 F: 909.557.1275 | 3281 East Guasti Road, Suite 100 | Ontario, CA 91761 | McCuneWright.com

So who wants to contact them regarding these malfunctioning rear cameras?

So who wants to contact them regarding these malfunctioning rear cameras?

Edited by Edgieguy

• 3 years later...

Hello Everyone. 

The fix is easier. Just get an obdII cheap bluetooth scanner ($20), download the forscan lite app($6) and once you have the obdII scanner paired with the app just go and restart the camera module. Lines are back and everything good as new. 

Regards

Edited by Alejandro Arita
  • Like 1