TPMS Question

strapp

• 2 weeks later...

My point is Ford decided they didn't want to force customers to resync every time they rotated the tires. Inside the computer it knows exactly what the pressure of each tire is. It has nothing to do with technology, it's just how Ford decided to irritate the fewest number of customers.

Some cars such as our previous Acura MDX did not require the TPMS sensor to be re-synced or re-programmed when the tires were rotated. They automatically updated themselves to the new position on the vehicle after several miles of driving. And yes, they gave the individual tire pressure anytime you wanted to check the readout on the dash.

Our Traverse needs to have the tires re-programmed when the tires are rotated in order to give the correct tire pressure for the correct tire position on the car. Used to be able to manually do it via the dashboard on models up until 2011. Now a tool has to be used which can be bought for around $50.00, or the dealer does it when they rotate the tires.

• Like 1

I know it's a pain. My 2008 Impala could tell me which tire was low. Problem arose when I would rotate my tires. I don't let anyone else touch my car(s). I couldn't tell which tire was low on air after rotating the tires. I just made sure I checked all the tires regularly. This is a regular ritual for me so it's no big deal.

As far as the TPMS, I thought they were all the same as far as how they get their readings. I was wrong with my wife's VW Turbo Bug. Apparently, their wheel sensors monitor wheel rotation speed. If there is a deviation in wheel speed, the light goes off. Once the tire is checked and all is well, you can reset the system with the car "on" but not running with a button in the glove box.

Every company has their methods but the important thing is that monitoring is done. Just remember what you used to do before there were even TPMS systems around. We all checked the tires, at least most of us did.

Your car may be a "utility" to get around but in reality it's an investment for safety and convenience. Don't just put your key in and go. You have a responsibility to yourself and to keep up on the maintenance.

Edited by J0J0
  • Like 1

Just remounted my summer tires. The TPMS was displayed. Easy enough to fix. Just drive about a block or two at 25 MPH and they automatically reset and the light goes off. One thing to be careful about is damaging them when the tires are taken off and remounted on the rims. An over aggressive repair man or woman could cost you money as they make you pay even if it is their fault and they damage it.

But what happened if you rotated the tires?

• Like 1

Yes, forgot that the Ford Edge does re-learn the TPMS when they are rotated. However, since they don't give an actual PSI reading, all the re-learn is doing is allowing the sensor to reconnect with the module to "see" that the sensor is now in place and active. It is not re-learning a new tire position for the sensor, since the Edge doesn't display individual tires.

There are aftermarket kits that can be installed to show individual tire pressures. Just one of many that a quick Google search found, and this one also displays tire temperature.

http://eniyanvalentino.com/premium-cigarette-lighter-tpms-built-in-programvisual-display/