New '15 Sport AWD Owner

WingNut

The Admins can delete my last thread because it is no longer accurate:

Picked up my 15' Sport this weekend and drove it back to VA from MI. Pics are below.

First Impressions:

- The 2.7L Ecoboost is great on the highway. Has the power when I needed it. I have an '11 Mustang GT so I was worried about not having much power that I'm used to. I was surprised at what the Sport provided. I averaged 22 MPG over the trip.

- Quiet. Really quiet inside on the highway. They've sealed this thing up so good, it is hard to shut the doors all the way. You need to give it more of a shove than must vehicles.

- Radio (Sony) is nice. Sounds good.

Questions I have:

- Anyone use their Android phone with two vehicles that have Sync? When I went to pair with the Edge, it thought I was in my Mustang so it didn't show "Sync" as a new device. I had to forget the device on my phone and pair with the Edge's Sync. I'd like to be able to go car to car without issues pairing.

Feel free to post your questions, and I'll answer for you.

GsP8JRul.jpg

LCQHmMUl.jpg

IKRZaq1l.jpg

• Like 1

Congratulations on the new ride. Hope you enjoy every mile driving it. If I have a question, it would be the 0-60 & 1/4 mile as I have yet to find any review with that info. Is the power comparable to an explorer Sport or Taurus SHO?

For the Sync issue, I usually rename my Sync on my phone to Sync MKX, and when I paired my phone to a friend's Explorer, I did not face any issues keeping both vehicles paired to my phone. So try renaming the paired Sync before pairing the other.

Congratulations on the new ride. Hope you enjoy every mile driving it. If I have a question, it would be the 0-60 & 1/4 mile as I have yet to find any review with that info. Is the power comparable to an explorer Sport or Taurus SHO?

For the Sync issue, I usually rename my Sync on my phone to Sync MKX, and when I paired my phone to a friend's Explorer, I did not face any issues keeping both vehicles paired to my phone. So try renaming the paired Sync before pairing the other.

I've driven neither the Explorer Sport or the SHO, so I can't comment. I haven't jumped on it off the line. I think these Ecoboost see most of their power around 3k RPM.

Thanks for the Sync tip

Wow, thanks for the great pictures! The white looks real sharp. (My hubby didn't want white since we had a white explorer once.) I went with Bronze Fire, can't wait to see it in person. Question: Is there a hump in the middle row? More than in older Edges anyway? And if you got all weather floor mats, is it one long mat or two small ones for that middle row?

I'm surprised how many people on this forum decided on the Sport model and/or EcoBoost. Mine will be Titanium with a V6, old school, I guess. But I like my technology, so can't wait to start programming all the options as soon as it come in:)

Wow, thanks for the great pictures! The white looks real sharp. (My hubby didn't want white since we had a white explorer once.) I went with Bronze Fire, can't wait to see it in person. Question: Is there a hump in the middle row? More than in older Edges anyway? And if you got all weather floor mats, is it one long mat or two small ones for that middle row?

I'm surprised how many people on this forum decided on the Sport model and/or EcoBoost. Mine will be Titanium with a V6, old school, I guess. But I like my technology, so can't wait to start programming all the options as soon as it come in:)

Bronze Fire is a real cool color. I've seen it on an Edge in person at one of the local dealers here. You'll love it.

Yes there is a hump. See pic below. Not sure how it compares to the older edge but it isn't real large of a hump.

As for weather mats, according to Ford Accessories, the mats are sold in a 3-Pc set. So that tells me it'll be one long mat. Same goes for weathertech. There are always alternatives out there for the rears where you can get two separate mats for the rear.

You'll be happy with the 3.5L V6 and the Titanium Package. I drove one of those too and was not disappointed in the power or the way it drove.

6YWpZVzl.jpg

• Like 1

You can sync to both vehicles - you just need to make sure one is turned off or out of range when you sync to the second vehicle. My wife's and my phone are both synced to both our vehicles with mine listed as favorite for my Fusion and hers is favorite for her escape. If we're both in the vehicle it defaults to the favorite. If only one of us is in the vehicle it connects to that one.

Got mine from the same place! Great dealership and #2 in the country for sales. That place is always busy.

Not surprised. The sales guy was on point and always doing whatever it took to get me in the car I wanted. Never trying to upsell me anything or put me in a different vehicle. Not pushy at all. And their showroom is pretty bad ass. Something you usually see with higher end cars like Lexus.

• Like 1

Not surprised. The sales guy was on point and always doing whatever it took to get me in the car I wanted. Never trying to upsell me anything or put me in a different vehicle. Not pushy at all. And their showroom is pretty bad ass. Something you usually see with higher end cars like Lexus.

My salesman was the same way. I was in and out in less than an hour. Their service area is also impressive, you pull in and they have about 20 angled parking spots and all the service writers are just inside the glass doors. That place sells about 60 to 70 cars a DAY.

I went in to the service area and saw that. My sales guy sent me all the paperwork beforehand. So I showed up, gave him the papers, he gave me the keys, I went out and started setting my stuff up, he comes out with the plate. Done. When I showed up he was in the process of finalizing a deal with another couple.

Got mine from the same place! Great dealership and #2 in the country for sales. That place is always busy.

I would think based on their location that they do a ton of "A", "X" and "Z" plan deals. Those plan really take all the negotiating out of the deal...precise discounts based on invoice numbers....you either like the car or you don't, there is no haggling unless you have a trade you are dealing with.

The Admins can delete my last thread because it is no longer accurate:

Picked up my 15' Sport this weekend and drove it back to VA from MI. Pics are below.

First Impressions:

- The 2.7L Ecoboost is great on the highway. Has the power when I needed it. I have an '11 Mustang GT so I was worried about not having much power that I'm used to. I was surprised at what the Sport provided. I averaged 22 MPG over the trip.

- Quiet. Really quiet inside on the highway. They've sealed this thing up so good, it is hard to shut the doors all the way. You need to give it more of a shove than must vehicles.

- Radio (Sony) is nice. Sounds good.

Questions I have:

- Anyone use their Android phone with two vehicles that have Sync? When I went to pair with the Edge, it thought I was in my Mustang so it didn't show "Sync" as a new device. I had to forget the device on my phone and pair with the Edge's Sync. I'd like to be able to go car to car without issues pairing.

Feel free to post your questions, and I'll answer for you.

GsP8JRul.jpg

LCQHmMUl.jpg

IKRZaq1l.jpg

Just curious....have you had an edge before and if so what do you like or dislike comparatively speaking? Did you lease or buy it? If lease, was the ford lease program strong on this vehicle with residual values and money factors(interest rates)?

Just curious....have you had an edge before and if so what do you like or dislike comparatively speaking? Did you lease or buy it? If lease, was the ford lease program strong on this vehicle with residual values and money factors(interest rates)?

I never owned an Edge. I did rent 3-4 between 2011-2014. I always loved the styling of the 2011+ Edges and always said it would be my next vehicle.

Originally I test drove a 14 Limited model that was left in stock that I wanted. I figured the rebates would be excellent on them since the '15s were on the lot. As I expected, I liked the vehicle. But I felt the car was a bit dated vs. other competitor vehicles I had driven. After the test drive, I asked the salesman if I could take a look at the inside of a 15. Once I got in (it was a Titanium), I immediately knew that the 2015 was my new goal. The 14, while a nice vehicle, needed an update and it got a good one. I felt the interior was very much improved. The sound dampening was excellent. The quality of materials improved.

I leased this one. I felt the lease was very strong and they residualized very well. I was surprised that I could get in to the Sport at around the same price as an SEL and have more bells/whistles as the SEL. The sales guy himself was suprised and said "These are still new, so I"m learning with you. These are residualized nicely so that is why I suggest we look at the Sport".

• Like 1

I would think based on their location that they do a ton of "A", "X" and "Z" plan deals. Those plan really take all the negotiating out of the deal...precise discounts based on invoice numbers....you either like the car or you don't, there is no haggling unless you have a trade you are dealing with.

I had Z plan so like you said, there was no negotiating. According to someone else, you can still negotiate with Z plan. He said you just mass email your intention of buying/leasing the Edge with these options, you qualify for Z plan, and will go with the best price. I'm not sure how much truth there is to that given Z plan is a very good price IMO. But maybe some dealers will bypass Z plan and discount appropriately.

• Like 1

I had Z plan so like you said, there was no negotiating. According to someone else, you can still negotiate with Z plan. He said you just mass email your intention of buying/leasing the Edge with these options, you qualify for Z plan, and will go with the best price. I'm not sure how much truth there is to that given Z plan is a very good price IMO. But maybe some dealers will bypass Z plan and discount appropriately.

There is virtually no room to negotiate on a Z plan sale. X plan, sure, but A and Z plan are right at dealer cost including the holdback. They do get a spiff check from Ford for each sale which I believe is a few hundred bucks so that's the only real dealer profit on A/Z plan sale. If they go with Z plan they can't charge less although they could make it up to you in other ways. And if they don't do Z plan then they don't get the spiff check.

Some may quote a slightly lower price than Z plan without a PIN but then they can add an outrageous Doc fee to make up for it ($700+). In that case the end price is much higher than Z plan.

Be very very wary of anyone claiming to do better than A or Z plan pricing.

• Like 1

There is virtually no room to negotiate on a Z plan sale. X plan, sure, but A and Z plan are right at dealer cost including the holdback. They do get a spiff check from Ford for each sale which I believe is a few hundred bucks so that's the only real dealer profit on A/Z plan sale. If they go with Z plan they can't charge less although they could make it up to you in other ways. And if they don't do Z plan then they don't get the spiff check.

Some may quote a slightly lower price than Z plan without a PIN but then they can add an outrageous Doc fee to make up for it ($700+). In that case the end price is much higher than Z plan.

Be very very wary of anyone claiming to do better than A or Z plan pricing.

That is how I feel too. If they are going below Z-Plan, then where is the catch? That is why I only deal with "Out the door" numbers when talking with dealers. I have ended deals with a lot of dealers in the past based on them not giving out the door pricing. I have no problem walking away from a deal.

That is why I liked dealing with the sales guy this time. Always out the door pricing. Always "due at signing" numbers. Never tried to be sneaky about anything.

I never owned an Edge. I did rent 3-4 between 2011-2014. I always loved the styling of the 2011+ Edges and always said it would be my next vehicle.

Originally I test drove a 14 Limited model that was left in stock that I wanted. I figured the rebates would be excellent on them since the '15s were on the lot. As I expected, I liked the vehicle. But I felt the car was a bit dated vs. other competitor vehicles I had driven. After the test drive, I asked the salesman if I could take a look at the inside of a 15. Once I got in (it was a Titanium), I immediately knew that the 2015 was my new goal. The 14, while a nice vehicle, needed an update and it got a good one. I felt the interior was very much improved. The sound dampening was excellent. The quality of materials improved.

I leased this one. I felt the lease was very strong and they residualized very well. I was surprised that I could get in to the Sport at around the same price as an SEL and have more bells/whistles as the SEL. The sales guy himself was suprised and said "These are still new, so I"m learning with you. These are residualized nicely so that is why I suggest we look at the Sport".

What length of term do you have? I would think that the short term lease would be very attractive so that ford doesn't lose an entire model year of vehicles coming into the used car market down the road as lease turn ins.

What length of term do you have? I would think that the short term lease would be very attractive so that ford doesn't lose an entire model year of vehicles coming into the used car market down the road as lease turn ins.

I went with 36 month. The 24 month was $11/mth cheaper

Why would Ford care if the supply of used Edges is low?

Not necessarily for fords sake, but the used car market and resale value...most of the leases thru ford motor credit, when turned in, the dealer network can buy those vehicles and have as CPO units and command a good buck. By having short term lease and high residual values, you create that influx of slightly used cars, which obviously can be sold again at very good margins on the dealer end. Look at honda for example, they have done it for years and created a market for that 2 or 3 year old car that many people will be willing to seriously look at as opposed to a brand new vehicle which may cost prohibitive. Personally, I don't believe that anyone should buy a brand new vehicle...lease 'em. I buy things that appreciate in value, not depreciate. I lease items that depreciate. Just like I would never buy a brand new boat or expensive "toy" if at all possible....let the first owner take the huge hit. But I would look at a 2015 vehicle in 2017 with 20,000 miles on it....compared to a new 2017 model....as much as these things cost now, it amazes me how many people buy new cars. I can only speak for myself, but when I think of how many vehicles I have actually paid off in my lifetime I can think of only a couple of beaters that I owned in my late teens and early twenties. To make a payment affordable anymore, you have to go 60 to 72 months....and then what do you own, if you keep it the entire time and don't get that itch to trade it in on something new? A 6 year old vehicle with 85k on it? How much is that really worth? What type of maintenance will it need? Timing belt, brakes, tires, computer module, a new rim or two. Rims on these things now are more than my first car was. I would bet that a 20" rim in my edge is at least $400. So let's say you have no car payment, but have to replace 2 rims. Well your "payment" that month was $800 for a 6 year old vehicle with 85k on it.

Lease 'em and turn 'em! You get more vehicle for the money, very rarely have to put any money into it other than a few oil changes and tire rotations and the rest will probably be warranty items. I know I certainly like to have a newer vehicle more often and I don't have to worry about negative equity....there is none. If I absolutely love the vehicle, then maybe I buy it at the residual value at the end of the lease if not, throw my salesman the keys and jump in my new rig at the dealership in 24 - 36 months...I have come to the conclusion and acceptance that I will always have 3 payments that I will have to make until the day I die....1) a mortgage payment, 2) car payment, 3) alimony payment. I am ok with all 3 at this point as long as I can keep them affordable to me. Just my 2 cents