You have to crack the trans case open to remove the "filter", there is no filter like there used to be with trans pans that you could unbolt from the bottom for regular fluid & filter changes. The FSM puts a filter change under the DISASSEMBLY section of the transmission.

Disassembly

1. NOTE: Note the orientation of the fluid filter to the fluid pump.

Remove and discard the fluid filter.
  2. Remove and discard the fluid filter seal.
  3. Clean and inspect the components of the pump assembly for wear or damage. Inspect the fluid drained from the pump for excessive metal debris. If excessive wear, damage or excessive metal is found, replace the fluid pump as an assembly.

Assembly

1. Flush the pump with clean automatic transmission fluid. Rotate the pump shaft by hand to clean the old transmission fluid out of the pump.
  1. NOTE: Lubricate the seal with clean automatic transmission fluid.

Install the fluid filter seal in the fluid pump.
  2. NOTE: Install the filter in the correct orientation as noted in removal.

Install the fluid filter in the fluid pump.

Unrelated: a peek at the TSS/OSS sensors and valve body in this post:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/13407-what-have-you-done-towith-your-edgemkx-today/?view=findpost&p=124435

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

I noticed a difference in the headlights between Blueberry and Lullubelle when we returned from the ER with CB after her Asthma attack. Blueberry had a very white headlight with a flat beam across the top almost like a shade. Lullubelle has a far broader round beam and not as white. I guess I have two different styles of headlights on the Edges.

Edited by macbwt

CB is doing well she just hates it when the elephant sits on her chest as she says. I will have to do a side by side on the edges to determine the different lighting.

High beams working on both? Did prev owner replace bulbs/bulb type? High/low is controlled with a shutter on 2011+. Look at the window stickers, maybe they will tell a story :)

Hope CB is ok. Asthma attacks are terrible!!!

• Like 1

I noticed a difference in the headlights between Blueberry and Lullubelle when we returned from the ER with CB after her Asthma attack. Blueberry had a very white headlight with a flat beam across the top almost like a shade. Lullubelle has a far broader round beam and not as white. I guess I have two different styles of headlights on the Edges.

Is the one with the whiter lights the same Edge with more options? If yes, it then probably has HID lights also.

• Like 1

Yes Blueberry has ALL options on it from what I can tell, which leads me to believe if there was an HID option they added that where Lullubelle is a lower option Edge.

Is the one with the whiter lights the same Edge with more options? If yes, it then probably has HID lights also.

First thousand miles on the new rotors and brake pads. Smooth stops and no noise. Braking in wet highway weather is sure with no first touch feel you get when first hitting the brakes when the rotors and pads are wet. I have not had to hit them hard yet, but feel they will exceed in performance when needed.

I have been looking at the Laptop borascopes and I am leaning towards hooking one up on my laptop and going into the cylinders to have a look when I change the sparkplugs. I figure this may be an interesting view or scary if I see gouges.rings bent and small aliens inside.

I reviewed many and decided on one for $20. I will get it by Friday. So look forward to seeing the inside of Lullubelle. I plan on sparkplug change next weekend and will use it to see if I can see anything in the cylinders. Just curious what it is looking like as the engine approaches 100k miles. Wish I had done it with the Orange Crush, but then again the Orange Crush was running great and I bet it would have looked great.

Have one, haven't used it yet :( Got it off Amazon for $17.

Oil life is now down to 35 percent and I have logged mileage from 90,800 to 94,100 on this oil change. I do have the meter set at 70 percent. It will most likely hit zero at about 6k miles. I just can not bring myself to go the full miles as the meter says which would be over 10k miles on one oil change.

macbwt,

Now that you have switched from an 08 to an 11, do you miss the "storage area/tray" in the center console? I am not talking about what is under the armrest. I am referring to what was in front of the shifter/cup holders? Am I missing some new replacement for this?

When I typically get int the car I used to throw wallet, glasses, cell phone in that area (cup holders are usually full of drinks. Comments?

• Like 1

I do miss the front dash storage tray. The under dash unit does hide the "garbage" i tend to accumulate. On the other hand it is a nice little hiding place for valuables as thieves that are opportunistic are in a hurry and may not know that it is back there. Good and bad parts I guess. I also do like the larger door storage compared to the 08, but the back area can not be reached unless you actually get out of the car and have the door open. I had something in that pocket and it slid all the way to the back and I could not reach it while in the car driving. I had to stop and get out in order to fish it out from the back forty area.

macbwt,

Now that you have switched from an 08 to an 11, do you miss the "storage area/tray" in the center console? I am not talking about what is under the armrest. I am referring to what was in front of the shifter/cup holders? Am I missing some new replacement for this?

When I typically get int the car I used to throw wallet, glasses, cell phone in that area (cup holders are usually full of drinks. Comments?

I finally took the time to return the broken LCA (right side) from the orange crush to summit racing and they are shipping me a new one. Wonder which 2011 will be using this new LCA? I double checked and the part numbers are the same 2007 through 2014.

Oil life is now down to 35 percent and I have logged mileage from 90,800 to 94,100 on this oil change. I do have the meter set at 70 percent. It will most likely hit zero at about 6k miles. I just can not bring myself to go the full miles as the meter says which would be over 10k miles on one oil change.

From the owners manual:

"Your oil change service interval can be up to one year or 10,000 miles (16,000 km)."

So the maximum is 10K miles. 70% would mean after 7K miles. Personally, due to our extremely high temps, I set it to 50% & get the reminder at 5K miles (8K km) as recommended by Ford in our region.

• Like 1

I usually aim for 5-6k for Oil changes. I will have to reset the counter to 50 percent on the next oil change to see if it warns me at 5k. I always thought it adjusted slightly according to use and stresses noted by the cars computer and either lengthen or shortened the Oil life accordingly.

Endoscope/borascope arrived today. Maybe next week I can peek inside Lullubelle so see what makes here tick so to speak. Also have a new dashcam that will be replacing the old one up front and then the old one will be a rear mounted view catching the action behind me. Wonder if I should put a "Smile you are on video" sign on the back of the car?

• Like 1

Just a note on the fuel types used on Lullubelle. 92 OCT (gasohol E-10) = 23.6-23.9mpg now the other side: Same fuel station (Kwik Star top tier) but refueled with empty tank and ran same road under same temp and wind conditions. I filled up with 87 OCT (no alcohol) averaged 24.1 to 24.5mpg. I have always felt and in my opinion believe the alcohol provides less MPG's I tend to utilize regular gas but decided to perform this test to verify my beliefs about ethonal. Costs less but you also get less. This was with three tanks of gasohol and three tanks of regular gas.

• Like 1

Interestingly enough I discoved there is no way to turn off the dome lights in the car if you want the rear hatch open to watch fire works. No override button nothing!!! I did however discover if you keep the doors closed and leave the hatch un molested for a long time the dome lights will eventually turn off. You have to wait for the Edge to determine it is time to turn the dome lights off. In the meanwhile you get to watch fire works with the dome lights on. Ford put a button in the dash to over ride the dome lights!!!!

Ok Folks here is the scenario. Traveling at 75mph hit gas pedal floored and Lullubelle kicked down and hit 5500 rpm and hung. She would not upshift nor gain acceleration and as a matter of fact stumbled at about 80mph to the point that I lost speed then I released the gas peddle and she upshifted. No lights no warnings. Tried again at same speed with same results. lower speeds she will accelerate hard and upshift correctly, but at 75-80mph she chokes. Any ideas? Update maybe needed on flashing the tranny control? The Orange Crush never did this.