Keeping Foglights On With High Beams

When I bought my 01 Expedition, I was able to make a jumper to keep the foglights on when the high beams were on. Does anyone know how to, or where I can find out how do this on the Edge?

Seems like a waste of time to me (besides being illegal). Why do you need fog lights and high beams?

I dont think its a waste of time..I know it can be done..I am just not sure how to do it..gotta find the signal that is inline with the high beams.

Maybe he wants to see far away and whats right infront of him on the road.

easy enough on a super duty

jump the relay ground

geuss i need to sort it out

powerboatr

• 2 months later...
I like the way it looks. And, it keeps the area in front of the car lit when the high beams are on. Try turning the foglights on and off when your driving down a rural road in the dark. You'll see a big difference.

this is actually a good point. when I first read the title of this thread, I was like "huh?" and thought, what's the point of that. but now that I read this, it makes total sense. hopefully someone figures it out and posts it here.

probably the one thing I'm not that good with is electrical... but if it's simple enough by way of step-by-step instructions adding a wiring harness I can do it. would probably be worth the trouble.

this is actually a good point. when I first read the title of this thread, I was like "huh?" and thought, what's the point of that. but now that I read this, it makes total sense. hopefully someone figures it out and posts it here.

probably the one thing I'm not that good with is electrical... but if it's simple enough by way of step-by-step instructions adding a wiring harness I can do it. would probably be worth the trouble.

I'm sure there's a way to do it. I was able to do this on my Expedition by reading a thread on the Expy forum.

• 6 months later...

I guess the question needs to be changed, cuz so far no one seems to know how to do that.

How about this rather, does anyone have the electrical diagram for the lightning system for the EDGE equipped with foglights???

Once we get a hold of that, we can figure it out fairly easily.

So please...if you're asking anyone about it, ask them if they have access to the schematic of the electrical system in the EDGE... that simplyfies the work on how to do the job because it will give us the colours of all the wires and locations of relays involved.

PM if anyone has it or finds it, i can figure it out myself for us all once I get my hands on that.

;)

I guess the question needs to be changed, cuz so far no one seems to know how to do that.

How about this rather, does anyone have the electrical diagram for the lightning system for the EDGE equipped with foglights???

Once we get a hold of that, we can figure it out fairly easily.

So please...if you're asking anyone about it, ask them if they have access to the schematic of the electrical system in the EDGE... that simplyfies the work on how to do the job because it will give us the colours of all the wires and locations of relays involved.

PM if anyone has it or finds it, i can figure it out myself for us all once I get my hands on that.

;)

Well I could get you that, but seeing as I'm just a stupid mechanic I just can't figure out how to look it up. Sorry I can't help you!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have the diagrams , i will look today and post back what to do to make it work. I did this in my Durango and will do it in my edge as well. i will be @ work in a couple of hours and will look at it then.

Did you find the diagrams?

If you did and can't figure it out could you post them and let one of us mark up the drawing?

• 2 weeks later...
Did you find the diagrams?

If you did and can't figure it out could you post them and let one of us mark up the drawing?

I'd be interested in doing this as well, I'm feeling lazy on this one though, so my contribution will be the scans. :stats:

Let me know if you, or anybody else for that matter, needs other diagrams.

Also, if anyone could lend a hand in determining how to connect the AUX outputs of an aftermarket alarm

to turn on the heated seats, that would be great! I have not sat down to look yet, but its why I bought the

shop manual. :reading:

Edge_Wiring_Diagrams.pdf

Well I was looking at my own copy of the wiring diagrams and I cannot see a real elegant way to do it. The best way I could figure it out would be to use the high beam power as a signal to power a relay to turn on the for lights. I'd guess a diode would be necessary to prevent any backfeeding to the SJB.

• 5 weeks later...

awake33,

From the schematics you supplied, if you wish to have the Fog Lights ON all of the time, you need to ground the Fog Light wire from the Master Light Switch.

By grounding the Fog Light Wire, as soon as the key switch is in the ACC position, the Fog Lights will go ON. On the other hand, if you wish to have control over this - regardless of the Master Light Switch position (i.e. Fog's ON), you can simply install a switch that will "cut" the ground off and hide the switch under the dash or anywhere you want.

By doing so (installing this "cut off" switch) and leaving it in the "OFF" position, then the Master Light Switch will have control over the Fog's...In other words, once you use the

High Beams, the Fog's will go off.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I actually did this when I had a ranger. The link posted above works, but isn't the way I did it. Just find your fog light relay, and bend back or break off the tip that cuts the fogs when the high beams are engaged.. I couldn't tell you which tip it is on the edge but relays are cheap and you could do some experimenting.

I had mine that way for 5+ years and had no problems out of it.

Edited by Travo

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I would highly advise against doing this! You may think your lights are brighter but fog lights with highbeams is worse. You lose a lot of your ability to see down the road. Your eyes adjust for the brighter light in the foreground. There is a reason why many engineers have spent countless hours designing projectors with foreground limiting shields. You want the light to be bright down the road and not in front of you.