Ventilated seat problem

Hey all! I went shopping for a new Edge this week. Wife loves them and it's the only car she wants. Found a beautiful White titanium. Test drove last night and I was sold. But we discovered a problem. The ventilated seats make the seats HOT. In the back of the seat just behind the map pouch, I could feel intense heat radiating out the back. I believe a blower motor is housed there and is HOT when running. In time it began to make the front of the seat back extremely hot, to the point is was uncomfortable. The dealer said they have never seen or heard of the problem before and acknowledged that they felt the heat too. I made them pull another Edge around and the SAME problem. Needless to say we walked (ran) on the deal. Have any of you experienced this problem too? Had it been reported to Ford? Is there a fix?

The blower is no doubt in the seat back. I placed my ear against the back in the "hot zone" and could clearly hear it running. The dealer also stated it was in the seat back. I had the cooled seat operating about 30mins, GA heat.

If someone could please run the cooled seat, highest setting, about 30 mins. Feel BEHIND the seat near the map pocket and let me know if they feel heat. On the front of the seat it will be about midway down your back. Thanks!

Nope, you are correct.

I have a Sport here in Arizona. When my wife got in it last month I turned on the cooling for the front seats on high. And yes, the back of our seats began to get hot. She complained about it.

Recently I've run the cooling for the seats on the middle level. The back of the seat does not seem to get as warm. I thought it was it just me, or perhaps the suede in

The seats not reacting correctly.

I would love to hear from more owners on this issue...

JS

If someone could please run the cooled seat, highest setting, about 30 mins. Feel BEHIND the seat near the map pocket and let me know if they feel heat. On the front of the seat it will be about midway down your back. Thanks!

I'll try this in the next few days and report back.

Is the issue that you can feel the heat on your back while it is running? Or that you can just feel that the rear side of the seat, above the map pocket, is hot? Because if it isn't heating her back up, I don't see how this is an issue. Electronics run warm. Run your stereo for a while and I'm sure the unit would be hot.

Thanks. I'm curious if anyone has reported the problem to Ford and if they are working on a fix. Both of our backs were noticeably and uncomfortably hot. If it was just the back of the seat, I wouldn't have cared as much. But it was hot on our backs....

Thanks. I'm curious if anyone has reported the problem to Ford and if they are working on a fix. Both of our backs were noticeably and uncomfortably hot. If it was just the back of the seat, I wouldn't have cared as much. But it was hot on our backs....

Interesting. I will see if I feel like it is heating up my back.

You think maybe because your bottom is being cooled and the back isn't, that you feel like your back is actually heating up?

Also, do you notice the heat when the cooler is not running?

i actaully felt cool on my back yesterday, def not heat. I did not feel the back of the seat though

I remember feeling cool too. Not as cool as the base. But there is definitely some cold air running out from the back. I think few have commented it would be nice if both had the same cooling effect

I felt "cool" to0. UNTIL that motor started throwing off heat into the seat. It is not an illusion. The salesman and manager both felt it and acknowledged the definite HEAT resonating from the motor. (And it cost them a sale).

If the peltier device is inside the seatback rather than under the seat, it would need some path to exhaust the heat. Maybe that path is blocked. Doesn't make sense they would move it to the seatback with no provision to exhaust the heat.

Definitely report it so they know about it. You might want to check a new MKX as well.

The 2015 F150s are having the same problem. Since Ford and the dealers give the "it's normal" response- one guy finally sucked it up and pulled back the seat covering to see what the issue was. He had a duct that was not properly connected. One zip tie fixed it up. The F150s also have the issue of the heat (when on cooling mode) not being properly vented out and under the seat like the earlier models did so- but that's just a design flaw. Sounds like the Edge cooled seats work fine normally, so they probably duct the removed heat under the seat. You can access the seat back pretty easily if Ford won't fix it. It should just have a "z" shaped plastic slot/groove that you separate at the bottom of the seat. Roll the seat cover up up until you have access. You may need to pull/reinstall some hog rings in front to get the cover high enough to see what's going on.

I honestly REALLY loved the car. I was ready to buy! But when dropping close to 40 large on a car, I want it 100%. If a remedy could have been presented by the dealer (like its a loose duct we will fix it), other than we don't know why it's doing it or how to fix it.....I might have still took the deal. I'm going to look at a Kia Sorrento Limited tonight and see what it's like.