Nail in tire....Replace or plug how to reset the TPMS

onyxbfly

Good Morning Group,

The TPMS sensor light lit up on my 2013 Edge Sel, shortly before arriving to work.....I discovered a nail in the passenger side rear tire. Part of me wants to plug it since its not on the side wall. If that is successful how do I go about resetting the TPMS.

If that doesn't work I guess I can go to pep boys or where and get a tire. Can they reset the TPMS or do I have to go to the steelership and pay to get it done?

Thanks in advance.

My wrench said he can do it for $30-50 honest guy, owns his own shop fully qualified etc and charges accordingly. Paying him to do this feels like paying a surgeon to remove a splinter. There is no Discount/ American Tire in my area but I did find a Mr.Tire and they have a coupon for a free flat repair. Hopefully they will sort me out. Thanks for the advice.

I've been doing the plug thing myself for years and never had any problems with them. I have at least 3 plugs in my original tires right now but will be putting new skins on shortly. I repaired every one of them on the side of the road without even removing the rim/tire from the vehicle. I guess I don't wanna get my spare dirty!!!!

Ive been doing plus the majority of my life and a patch when warranted. But this is the first car that I've owned that has a TPMS. Got a nail in a rental sometime last year. I went to pep boys, bought a plug kit borrowed their pliers and pulled it and plugged in a few minutes. It deff help that i could access the nail. Simply turned the car back in and kept it moving.

My main reason for posting was because of the TPMS. I thought of it like the broken window syndrome. See a house with a broken window next thing you know there is another and then their is trash and then their is graffiti etc. I wanted to do it right and get it done. Not saying anything is wrong with a plug. My first reaction was to plug it. They are infinitely easier to use than a patch. .

If that is successful how do I go about resetting the TPMS.

Like what was said earlier, it will reset it itself, but it might take a couple of minutes driving above ~20mph.

From the Owners Manual:

2. After inflating your tires to the

manufacturer’s recommended

inflation pressure as shown on the

Tire Label (located on the edge of

driver’s door or the B-Pillar), the

vehicle must be driven for at least

two minutes over 20 mph (32 km/h)

before the light will turn off.

Mr. Tire couldn't repair my tire as the nail was in the outer tread. I ended up going to my mechanic who plugged it for me for free. Will deff be dropping off lunch when I'm in his area. I know I should have RTFM. Soon as he put air in the tire the TPMS indicator light went away. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions/ advice.