HELP! 2012 door ajar problem or only 2013?

Did anyone have their door sensor replaced on 2012 models due to door ajar warnings or was this only 2013 models?

I am back to the dealer for the 5th time to have rattles fixed on the drivers door since they took it apart to change sensor.

if it was a 2012 problem, this should have been fixed in 2013 and I want a new door panel.

• 3 weeks later...

Door latch on my 2012 LTD failed by late 2013. Dealer replaced the latch under warranty. Now, 20,000 miles later, the second latch has the exact same problem. Dealers want $450 to replace the latch (again) and Ford refuses to step in.

The door latch mechanism is defective and Ford knows it. Every Ford service person I've talked to says it's a well known problem. Ford had such a hard time keeping replacements in stock that they resorted to trying an electronic "cleaning", which was nothing but a temporary band aid. It is not unreasonable to expect the door latch on a $40k vehicle to last more than two years under normal conditions. Ford's response to this issue has been pathetic.

I feel your pain, friend. But it's not just limited to the 2012's. My old 98 Sable had a door switch that had this problem (just the front passenger door, none of the others).

I was able to keep it clear by using WD40, but it appears that it doesn't work for the Edge.

Did you see the recent post by one of the members here on how to clean the switch contacts w/o opening the door panel? It referenced a couple of YouTube videos which showed how to flip the lock mechanism out of the way and gain access to the door switch contact.

Repair takes only a minute or so.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/10869-door-ajar-warning-on-at-all-times/page-10?do=findComment&comment=139141

Edited by enigma-2

• 1 month later...

I cleaned to switch on my 2013 Edge with contact cleaner, then lubed it with WD40 yesterday, as mentioned in the above video, and all worked well today. I may lube it with silicone spray next time, as WD40 will attract some dirt over time. An occaisional cleaning is minor, compared to an expensive replacement.

• 3 weeks later...

Please file a complaint through Transport Canada, having the same problem with my 2011 Ford Edge, and Ford refused to do anything about it. They replaced the driver's door latch while still under warranty, but now my warranty has expired and now the passenger door is doing the same thing. Obviously their part is defective, but refuse to take accountability or back up their products.

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/PCDB-BDPP/fc-cp.aspx?lang=eng

Edited by Flowerpower

Please file a complaint through Transport Canada, having the same problem with my 2011 Ford Edge, and Ford refused to do anything about it. They replaced the driver's door latch while still under warranty, but now my warranty has expired and now the passenger door is doing the same thing. Obviously their part is defective, but refuse to take accountability or back up their products.

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/PCDB-BDPP/fc-cp.aspx?lang=eng

So you're expecting a lifetime warranty on parts? They call it a limited warranty for a reason. Every part that fails is defective.

Do I think they should extend the warranty on this part? Absolutely but I don't think they're required to do that nor do I think that by not extending the warranty they're refusing to take accountability.

Did you get the extended warranty when you purchased the vehicle?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I've reading about since I first got on this forum. I've got to tell you that it has happened to us as well. I've gone through all the suggestions to no avail. I have an appointment for later this week at our local dealer and I'll let you know how it turns out.

I would like to tell you that while this sensor is active the automatic door locks DO NOT lock. This could be a safety hazard that hopefully Ford will stand behind.

I would like a PM from a Ford Service person if they are still on.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, let me update everyone with this issue we had been experiencing.

We took our 2013 Edge to the dealership last weekend and they replaced the door latch assembly and we haven't had the issue return. The cost was $100.00.

Now I know 100 bucks isn't much to some people, but it is annoying that a part should fail so quickly.

That being said, we're glad the problem has been fixed. Our fingers are crossed that it doesn't happen to one of the other sensors.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Had door agar warning, off and on, used electrical contact spray and compressed air but it kept coming back.

In my case it turned out not to be an electrical issue but a mechanical interface. these two video showed me how to fix my problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq_JiqKhvZg

In my case did not have a small file so I used a dremel type tool.

dealers replacing switch for few hundred dollars is rip off and they do not understand the problem

good luck.

brad

• Like 1

Great presentation, goes a long way to explain why some people are able to fix with WD40 (or whatever you care to use) and problem comes back.

I've never had the problem on my MKX, but I did on an Sable I used to own. (WD40 fixed that one). But if I ever develop the switch hanging up, I'll try this.

Thanks for posting!

Edited by enigma-2

• 1 month later...

Love my 2013 Edge.. Just ran out of warranty two months ago and the damn door ajar problem popped up.. ready to do the clean the switch job but I would like to have a new "door ajar switch" so the next time it happens I can replace the plunger switch.. does anybody have the Ford part number for the door ajar switch..??