Hyunda vs. Ford. vs. Subaru vs....

I've got a 2005 Chevy Equinox LT AWD. Yeah, let's just say its the last GM I'll ever own. POS.

I'm looking at comparably sized vehicles. Based purely on specs, My original short list:

Subaru Outback (vs. Forester, as the Foerester is 3" shorter in length)

Hyunda Santa Fe Sport

I scratched Ford Edge off because of the crappy MFT. But then I heard Ford was replacing it in 2016, so I re-added it.

I plan to keep the vehicle for 15 years (I'm gonna keep mine for another 3, but I wanted to test drive now, so I can get a used vehicle that's off-lease and save about 12k).

Base:

2005 Chevy Equinox LT AWD (V6) with OnStar/Bose Premium.

Sound meter reports approx. 75-78db at loudest. Vehicle has relatively smooth ride and very smooth shifting, but loud road noise (probably due to different tires I put on a few years back).

Car #1:

2016 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0 base model

Base engine was loud (or so I thought) compared to my vehicle when accelerating. Base engine was louder than mine when accelerating and not as strong (the 2005 equinox is a V6). Could feel shift points and ride wasn't quite as smooth, but not as bad as a Toyota (stiffness). Average "high" sound 75-78db, usually during rapid acceleration.

Car #2

2016 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0 Turbo with Ultimate Package

Base engine seemed quieter (maybe becuase it didn't have to work so hard) and smoother shifting than Car #1. Still not as smooth a ride as Base. Average "high" sound: 75-77db, usually during rapid acceleration. Adequate power for acceleration.

Car #3:

2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited. Rather nicely apportioned/equipped. Has eyesight/adaptive cruise/pre-collision breaking whereas Hyundai does not. Seems like it sits about 2-3" lower than the Base. Trunk opening isn't as big as I need it (although didn't measure), so may reconsider original size criteria. Vehicle shifted smoothest of all the competitors so far. Proably due to CVT. LOUD road noise. Sounded like a wind problem around the A pillar or something. Average high db was 80-85db. Engine noise very loud (comparatively) when accelerating up a hill. Fairly smooth ride. Ironically, adequate power for acceleration. Probably the smoothest of all competitors so far. But due to engine/road noise and cargo opening, will look at Forester XT now (3" shorter or therabouts than Base, but approx. same height).

Car #4

2015 Ford Edge SEL (I wanted the Titanium with 302a and Driver's assist, but nobody had one around here). The most quiet and smoothest ride so far. Smoother than Base. Average "high" db was 67-73db. Very smooth shifting and similar "power" compared to the Base. Crappy MFT. Have to wait until 2016 for Ford Sync 3.

Car #5

Not yet, will be a Nissan Murano probably, or Toyota Highlander.

So my 2 "choices", if I had to pick so far:

Car #2. Car #3

MSRP of Car #2 is 35k, Truecar says I can get around 31k (new)

MSRP of Car #4: 43k. Trucar says I can get around 41k

So 10k more for the Ford Edge. Less warranty, lots more issues (compared to Car #2). Will have to examine 2016 Ford Edge when it comes out and decide if 10k more is worth a quieter/smoother ride. Although a lot of extra features. But tack on another $2500 for extended warranty ( to get longer bumper to bumper) and I'm not so sure $12,500 is worth it. Especially after seeing all the issues with the 2015 Edge. Wish I'd never bought my '05 Equiinox and had waited a year. Or more.

Residual on Hyndai is 59%. Residual on Edge is 56%. So figure a 3 year old vehicle would run about $21k for Hyundai and about 24k for the Edge. At that point, it's 3k difference (although Hyundai would still have 2 years left bumper to bumper and 7 years left on powertrain. Edge wouldn't have anything left on bumper to bumper and only 2 years left on powertrain).

3k difference for smoother ride/quiet? That may be worth it.

Granted, Edge fully equipped has a LOT of extra features (drivers assist, adaptive cruise control, etc).

We'll see how the Murano and/or Toyota goes. (last time I test drove a Highlander was 2005 and the ride was very stiff and in order to get heated leather seats, I had to spend 35k vs. 25k for the Chevy).

Unless you want to rebuild the head and valve seats at 100k miles I would not recommend a Subaru. This issue is well documented and expensive. Not a 15 vehicle.

Not sure what you are basing the crappy MFT on but I have not had an issue since the replacement of the APIM and updated software on both 2011's

Go with the sante fe shorter wheel base and smaller engines if you are just hanging around town. Otherwise go with the Edge longer wheel base and much heavier smoother and quiet ride. The engines are also very durable and with proper maintenance get you to the 15yr mark with relatively little worry.

Thanks for the info. I don't think MFT has Android Auto and Apple Carplay support, and I think also that Ford says it's only offering 5 years of updates (so why buy a 2015 when you're going to keep it for 10+ years knowing that in 5 years no more updates).

But maybe things will change.

The Edge definitely has the best "ride" so far for everything.

I nixed the Subaru's mainly because the Outback won't accomodate the size of things I want/need to fit in the back. And it's too loud for me.

I'll see how the Murano is probably next weekend.

Hopefully I can find a device that objectively measure "bumpy" rides. Supposedly if you have an iPhone there's an app, but it's not on Android.

I'll ask in a separate post about Ford extended warranties.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I was able to test drive the 2015 Nissan Murano Platinum (AWD). It was fresh off the delivery truck and still had the plastic sticker stuff on the outside parts.

This is a V6 CVT so it has lots of power, and very smooth "shifting". Engine noise for CVT is extremely subdued compared to the 2 subaru's I test drove. I would say that it has slightly more engine noise than the Ford if you really punch it, and I didn't think it was quite as quiet, but the sound meter says otherwise and puts it on par with the Edge. Peak db was 76, with average around 75db (at highway speeds).

I thought it had a very smooth ride, but not quite as smooth as the Edge. Unfortunately I did not find the g-force/accelerometer app for my phone until after the test drive, so I don't have objective data for "smoothness".

Has all-around camera. I didn't think it had quite as much leg room in the back if the front seat was fully back, but I didn't actually measure. Seats seemed the most comfortable of all, but I'd need more "seat time".

EPA gas mileage looks good for a V6. No remote start (via phone--only keyfob which means you gotta be like 300 feet or closer).

I'm not terribly fond of the rear tail light styling where they stick out a bit. But then again, not terribly fond of the front hood on the Edge with the sculpting that comes out on the left-right either, but I would not classify eitiher vehicle as hideous/ugly.

However, after getting home, I did a little research for the smartphone/app support. Seems that Nissan in their infinite wisdom has decided that if you have Nav unit (which is what you get in the Platinum) they have purposely disabled all apps except for Google Search. Why? I don't know. The folks in the Nissan forums are not happy (I dont' blame them). Interestingly enough, on the 2016 Maxima and some other model, Nissan connect has remote start/app support.

So looks like I will be waiting for the 2016 Edge/Murano before I make a final decision.

My 3 finalists are with pros/cons are listed below. Note that I have not actually test driven the Edge Titanium with the 19" wheels. Only the SEL with 20" wheels. Sometimes the bigger tires give a stiffer ride. Murano has 20" tires (OK, rims to be technical). Murano is not as nicely equipped as Edge, and even though it has higher MSRP, it's trucar purchase is about $1500 cheaper than the Edge.

Realiability remains a concern (as previous poster pointed out I should consider reliability). 2015 Edge has some serious reliability issues (water leaking--yeah supposedly fixed now, cooled seats that actually heat up).

Hyunda Santa Fe Sport 2.0 Turbo AWD - with Ultimate package - MSRP $38,245 TrueCar - $35,554

Pros:

Good gas mileage

Doesn't require premium fuel

Decent Power w/turbo

Nicely equipped

nice interior styling

Nice exterior styling

Comfortable Seating

Remote start via cell phone (Hyundai BlueLink)

Excellent reliabilitly (consumer reports/carcomplaints.com reliability)

Excellent Warranty 5yr/10yr

Cheapest of finalists

Cons:

Not as quiet

Ride is more stiff

Smartphone integration is semi (no Android Auto and no CarPlay). Unsure of Siri Eyes Free.

Not as well equipped as Edge/Murano (allaround camera, adaptive cruise, lane departure, etc.)

2015 Nissan Murano Platinum AWD - w/tech package. MSRP - $43,745 TrueCar - $39,831

Pros:

Very smooth ride

Very quiet ride

Smooth shifting

Nicely equipped

Comfortable seating

Good gas mileage

Lots of power

Good interior Styling

Excellent reliability ratings (consumer reports/carcomplaints.com).

Cheaper than Edge

Cons:

Smartphone support non-existent. Maybe fixed in 2016 model year

Funky butt (tailight styling)

Average warranty (3yr/5yr)

More expensive than Hyundai

Not as fully featured/equipped as Edge

2015 Ford Edge Titanium AWD - w/302a package and driver's assist. MSRP $42,995 TrueCar - $41,246

Pros:

Very quiet ride

Very smooth ride

Very smooth shifting

Good gas mileage

Lots of Power

Interior styling (?)

Comfortable seating

Remote Start via cell phone (?)

Siri eyes-free and limited Android support

Nice Exterior Styling

Cons:

MyFordTouch being replaced with Sync3 in 2016 (Sync3 will have full Android Auto and Apple CarPlay)

Most expensive of all finalists

Average Warranty

Reliability issues - lots of carcomplaints.com and forums issues with 2015. ConsumerReports doesn't have enough data for 2015, predicting worse quality than previous year

@mjonis, just some notes:

The Edge can be equipped with remote start via smartphone.

Sync3 is not confirmed to get Android Auto and/or Apple CarPlay. It is being said that it will, but unless you find a clear statement from Ford that Sync3 will include them or that it will be updated to include them, don't count on it.

If you are considering the V6 Murano, did you consider the V6 SantaFe & Edge?

Did you check the Kia Sonata? It is based on the same SantaFe platform (AFAIK).

mjonis: My 3 finalists are with pros/cons are listed below.

Thank you, mjonis, for your work on arriving at the three finalists! I did similar work in arriving at them, plus the Kia Sorento..... but I didn't go as far as to put it down on paper to help others with their decisions. GOOD JOB! I've almost certainly--or just about-- arrived at the Edge as the winner..... and for two other reasons you didn't have. One is that this forum has lots to offer an Edge owner--lots of help! And the other is that Ford didn't take the bail out! My one purchase isn't much reward for a giant corporation, but it's about all I can do.

I didn't understand why you had MyFordTouch being replaced by Sync3 as a bad thing..... since that's one of my reasons for waiting for the 2016 Edge? Sync 3 is supposed to be the "Cat's Meow", and the "Be-all and end-all!" And as far as reliability..... the 2016 will have all those other complaints and deficiencies fixed. (he said, hopefully.) Thanks, again, for all your work, and for sharing. Jack

@mjonis, just some notes:

The Edge can be equipped with remote start via smartphone.

Sync3 is not confirmed to get Android Auto and/or Apple CarPlay. It is being said that it will, but unless you find a clear statement from Ford that Sync3 will include them or that it will be updated to include them, don't count on it.

If you are considering the V6 Murano, did you consider the V6 SantaFe & Edge?

Did you check the Kia Sonata? It is based on the same SantaFe platform (AFAIK).

The regular SantaFe was a smidgen too big (although I think it's only 2.something inches longer than the Murano) and it's V6 gets crap gas mileage (IMO) with AWD. And I don't need/want the third row seats. That's about my only other con (will have to re-adjust my list as well) on the Murano is that it's a tad longer.

The Twin Turbo Edge was more than enough power, so I didn't bother with the V6 test drive. I only test drove the Turbo on the Hyundai because I found the regular 4 cylinder to be not enough for me (but it's not bad for a 4 cylinder to be honest).

I checked Kia, but I can't remember why I initially skipped them. I Should probably consider them, although I think the Limited is what I'd have to take (at a minimum). Good points raised.

Keep 'em coming. I gots time for the 2016 models.

mjonis: My 3 finalists are with pros/cons are listed below.

Thank you, mjonis, for your work on arriving at the three finalists! I did similar work in arriving at them, plus the Kia Sorento..... but I didn't go as far as to put it down on paper to help others with their decisions. GOOD JOB! I've almost certainly--or just about-- arrived at the Edge as the winner..... and for two other reasons you didn't have. One is that this forum has lots to offer an Edge owner--lots of help! And the other is that Ford didn't take the bail out! My one purchase isn't much reward for a giant corporation, but it's about all I can do.

I didn't understand why you had MyFordTouch being replaced by Sync3 as a bad thing..... since that's one of my reasons for waiting for the 2016 Edge? Sync 3 is supposed to be the "Cat's Meow", and the "Be-all and end-all!" And as far as reliability..... the 2016 will have all those other complaints and deficiencies fixed. (he said, hopefully.) Thanks, again, for all your work, and for sharing. Jack

Oh good heavens, did I put MFT replaced with Sync3 as a con? If I did I think it was because that was for the 2015 model. In other words, if I bought the 2015 model, it was a con because I'd immediately have something "obsolete".

So I guess I should take a look at Kia. Hell, while I'm at it, let's test drive the 55k Lexus (haha). Can't afford it, won't buy it, but maybe I'll get to smell some more new cars. LOL!

Oh, I wish they had the 2016 out now. Now I'm getting that "new car" itch.

• 4 weeks later...

Always your decision, I am biased, love my Edge, think it looks nicer than the Murano too, but cant say much about them never having driven one.

The Santa Fe Sport sounded rough to me when I took it for a test drive but I was already thinking I liked the Edge.

My co workers Santa Fe Sport 2.0 engine completely failed after 18 months earlier this year. To be fair he drove the s**t out of it and it was at 125,000Km after 18 months but that made it 25k past warranty period and the dealer wanted $15,000 to replace the engine.

He managed to buy a replacement engine from a scrap yard and get it installed for $4000, but it's put me right off them.

If you think the Santa Fe was too big, seeing a you're looking at other cars anyway and price appears to be a factor for you, may I suggest looking at the 2017 Escape when it comes out in the Spring. They've given it quite an overhaul, looks like a baby Edge and if you upgrade to the optional 2.0l Ecoboost I'm thinking it's going to be quite powerful.

Edited by grumzy

If you think the Santa Fe was too big, seeing a you're looking at other cars anyway and price appears to be a factor for you, may I suggest looking at the 2017 Escape when it comes out in the Spring.

Yet another small-ish competitor is Lexus NX200t. Not sure about financing, but 3 year lease was pretty much same money as my fully equipped Edge Sport.