THRACK! I ducked but my windshiled.....Uuuuugh!

Denicio

Enjoying my commute today in my 2015 edge and this GMC land yacht in front on the interstate throws a large rock (not some pebble) at my car. I see it and duck, but my windshield took the brunt. THRACK! My heart sank and cussing ensued. I have what appears to be a starburst about the size of a quarter and a chip next to it that scuffed the glass. Not sure it can be drilled & Filled.

Now I have to decide if I should wait till winter wraps up till I replaced this thing. Roads in Memphis during the winter are a mess. My vanity does not want to wait. This will be a full out of pocket expense too as my insurance has a 500 deductible.

My ford probe's windshield seemed to be a Rock Magnet. I sure hope this is not the case with my new edge.

Not even a full week of ownership and my new ride gets violated. Sigh ~

Sorry, had to vent.

D

Edited by Denicio

Sorry Denicio. I had the exact thing happen to mine on the fourth day I had it. It is just below my line of sight, so I am waiting a bit to get a new windshield. Free glass replacement is so worth it. I just considered myself lucky it didn't hit the hood or the vista roof glass.

Cold weather can do a number on that kind of injury. Mine was OK during the summer, just a little 1/4 inch pop. Then the first cold snap and it grew halfway across the windshield. Next night it grew even more. Within just a week the windshield was so shattered it had t be replaced.

Burke

Local glass shop that's been affordable in the past for me and family just gave me a quote of 761.00 for a new windshield! Ouch! I was gonna take it by to let them see if the 69.00 drill & fill method would work.

Then again, I may wait till spring once winter has had its way with our city roads.

You should check to be sure it can't be repaired; your description of the size is near the limit. Most insurance companies do not charge for such repairs as it prevents further cracking and does not cost them a replacement. Had mine repaired after a rock hit and you can barely see where it was.

My insurance has no Chip repair (state farm). Called Safelite based on some great reviews and they know about SF and have a "State Farm Discount". It amounted to 50.00 for mobile service. I booked it for today!

I have also called my insurance company to lower my comprehensive deductible. I had a 500.00 Deductible. Dropping it to zero cost me essentially 4.00 extra per month. No brainer. Especially when the roof of these edge's are 85% glass!

Fingers crossed that Safelite can put some serious Mojo on this and make a bad morning better!

• Like 1

Safelite just left. Did a great job. He fixed the big star and where it also skipped across my windshield. All for 50.00!

There will always be a couple of spots there but far better than a huge crack from a run. Glad I did it.

Dropped my deductible to Zero with state farm so if something more catastrophic happens i'll file a claim then.

Wife's last car, '03 Mountaineer, got a tiny little rock chip just left of the inside rearview mirror, maybe 1/16th inch down from the top edge of the glass. Car had about 400 miles on it, five days old! Crack grew about one inch per every ten miles! Went down about six inches, then turned towards passenger side of the car. Was six inches from far right side when we reached our destination. Had to park in the sun, which allowed crack to finish reaching the passenger edge of the glass.

Fast forward twelve years and 205,000 miles, car was traded on the '15 Edge with the cracked windshield still in place.

My '06 Volvo has a crack from the driver's edge of the glass that goes to within 3 inches of the passenger edge of the glass, curves upward, then back towards driver's edge again and runs out the edge of the glass two inches from where it started. Big oblong circle.