Auto Locks and other IA questions

New 205 EDGE. Trying to make some things work.

1 - Tried to disable AUTOLOCK. Followed procedures found on internet. Alas nothing works.

2 - I was told by the dealer that the car will unlock or lock automatically as soon as FOB is in/out of range. Doesn't work. Have to always use FOB or lock prior to closing doors. This defeats the purpose of IA.

3 - Placing hand in lock activates lock, but doesn't operate consistently. Some time it locks, sometime it unlocks.

Any ideas/suggestions are very welcomed.

Did you read the owner's manual? It clearly explains how these features work.

Your dealer is completely wrong. IA doesn't automatically lock or unlock when in/out of range. You must touch the door handle with the fob in range. Inside of handle unlocks (just grab the handle to open it). To lock it you touch the top of the handle where the ridges are.

Autolock just locks the doors when the vehicle starts moving.

I did RTFM. Says that disabling Autolocks must be done by the dealer. As far as the unlocking the manual is not very clear. I am an engineer and have a lot of experience with user interfaces.

So far Ford's implementation of IA is very convoluted. Other vehicles that use IA are so much simpler. What is the point of the IA FOB if I still need to touch something in order for it to work. I've been in rental cars that have this feature and works as I would expect.

I would not recommend any one purchase a Ford with the IA feature. Doesn't really add any value. The car itself is fine.

Edited by cxxxv

Autolocks can be disabled through the menu on the left side of the cluster. That's on page 63 of the manual.

I personally prefer the IA system as it is, I don't always want the car to lock everyt ime I walk away (like yesterday when I got out, took a load of stuff into the house dumped it all - including my keys, then walked back out to the car to get more stuff). What if I got out of the car to carry something into the house (with the key in my pocket), then my spouse got out, closed the door, went to pick up the newspaper and then came back to open the door to let the kids out, only to find the doors had locked!

I'm not sure how you plan to open a door without touching the door handle, so I don't see how it would help if it unlocked when you got close. You have to touch it eventually anyway.

Edited by Waldo
  • Like 2

the locks are pretty simple. to get in the car, grab handle, door unlocks. last person out the car touches the ridge on the handle on their door and it locks all the doors. those backseat members that have no unlock button inside the door, they just pull the handle twice and it will unlock the rear doors from the inside (probably my fav feature)

Guess I missed the difference between Autolock and autounlock.

From the shop manual:

The autolock feature can only be enabled/disabled using a diagnostic scan tool.

To enabled/disable the autolock feature, enter TOOLBOX. Select Module Programming>Programmable Parameters>Power Door Locks. Change all of the settings to Enable or Disable as needed.

Autolock is considered a safety feature, so the Ford lawyers must have determined it was too risky to leave it in customer's hands.

Autolock is considered a safety feature, so the Ford lawyers must have determined it was too risky to leave it in customer's hands.

Yep. I wonder if you have to sign a waiver before they disable it?

I hate lawyers and plaintiffs that bring stupid lawsuits and the stupid juries that side with them.

Because people don't like to be carjacked.

And somebody, somewhere was either carjacked or opened the rear door while the vehicle was moving prompting a lawsuit or attempted lawsuit because the doors didn't automatically lock.

Because, you know, people aren't responsible enough to hit the stupid lock button on their own if they're concerned about safety.

1 - Tried to disable AUTOLOCK. Followed procedures found on internet. Alas nothing works.

Any ideas/suggestions are very welcomed

The usual process is to put the key in & turn it to on.

Press the Unlock button three times.

Turn the ignition off.

Press the Unlock button three more times.

Turn the ignition back to on.

The horn should beep once. This tells you that you're now in programming mode.

Press the unlock button, then press Lock again. The horn will beep once to tell you that Auto Lock was deactivated. It will beep twice if youre reactivating the system.

Turn the ignition back to off and listen for the horn to beep one time confirming that the programming was accepted.

Edited by enigma-2

And somebody, somewhere was either carjacked or opened the rear door while the vehicle was moving prompting a lawsuit or attempted lawsuit because the doors didn't automatically lock.

Because, you know, people aren't responsible enough to hit the stupid lock button on their own if they're concerned about safety.

I think it is more of a safety feature for when an accident occurs. The thought being locked doors have a better chance of staying closed during a crash. Dunno.

• 3 weeks later...

• SSM 45578 - Effective Jan 8 2016
    2015-2016 Edge and 2016 MKX - Procedure To Disable Autolocks
SSM 45578 - 2015-2016 Edge and 2016 MKX - Procedure To Disable Autolocks
Some 2015-2016 Edge and 2016 MKX customers may request to have the autolocks disabled. The autolocks are not a customer configurable feature. If a customer request to have the autolocks disabled, use IDS version 98.04 or higher to disable the autolocks. Enter Module Programming - Programmable Parameters - Power Door Locks - Auto Lock 1-5 - Enable/Disable. To disable the autolocks, Auto Lock 1 through Auto Lock 5 all need to be disabled prior to pressing the tick mark. Disabling the autolocks at the request of the customer cannot be claimed as a warrantable repair. Section 501-14 of the online Workshop Manual is being updated to provide direction on disabling the autolock feature.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES

2016 CAR: D9 U540 - LINCOLN MKX

2015 - 2016 CAR: DQ CD539N-EDGE

2016 CAR: 00177 MKX

2015 - 2016 CAR: 00176 EDGE

• Like 2

• 2 months later...