Second Gen. 2015-16 3.5 Throttle body failure report thread

Chipster

There seems to be a lot of conversation about throttle body failure on the 3.5 V-6 so I thought it would be helpful to create a specific thread that would allow owners of second gen. Edge to create a data base (of sorts) that might give us all an indication of how widespread the problem is, and what has been done by your dealer to correct the issue.

Please indicate your model year, and your mileage when the first symptom occurs. Additionally how long did it take your dealer to find and fix the issue? How many dealer visits did it take to get the problem dealt with? Has anyone had more than one TB fail on their vehicle?

Also, It would be great if we could find a part # for the "as installed" TB on our 2015-16 Edge. If we knew that part # and then find out the part # for the "replacement" TB we might have some confidence this issue might be resolved or at least an effort has been attempted. For those of you that have had a TB replacement please check your repair ticket for the part # for your new TB.

Edited by akirby
changed 3.6 to 3.5

Mine 2015 edge fail last week, build date is 12/09/2015, with 5100 miles on it. I am scheduled to have it in for service on Wednesday, exactly one week after my stalling on the free way incident.

UPDATES! Dealer replaced my TB, the part number is AT4Z-9E926-B. I hope this will fix the issue for good.

• 2 weeks later...

2016 Edge, purchased 4/25/2016,

On 6/23/16, 4768 miles, p2112 code stored. Dealer had diagnosis that same morning, but took a week to locate part (was apparently on "National Backorder". Per service order replaced with part number AT4Z-9E926-B.

Haven't take time to look under the hood for any additional info on the throttle body such as Rev. numbers.

• Like 1

Tried to drive her in the morning...4.24 min (videoed this drive) around the block the light wrench and went into limp mode..... limped her back into our driveway.... called Ford Tow, which arrived 30 minutes later, towed to the Dealer (David Wilson - Villa Ford), I spoke with the Service writer, showed him my video...he said sounds like Throttle Body, and we should have Mommas car ready this afternoon..... I received a call at 3:30...Sir, your Car is all ready for Pick up!!!

Thank you Villa Ford, Orange, Ca :worship::worship:

Richard and Barbara Marion

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to add in our experience. This summer we bought our new 2016 Ford Edge 3.5L SEL. Fast forward a month later and the car died when going from reverse to drive. The dash warning that came up said Full Accessory Power Active. I was a bit panicked as I had backed out of a driveway when this happened but after a few moments pressed the brake, turned car off and back on and it worked to get me home. We had the car towed as we lost faith in its safety after doing some reading about this happening when people are driving. I don't know the exact code that came up when it was at the dealer but they replaced the throttle body. We had about 2500km on the car at that point. No issues since, we love the car and are slowly building up our confidence again in it.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

25 March 2017, 2016 Edge Titanium 3.5L. Build date 02/04/16. Approx 7800 miles, no previous problems.

Driving in town, car went into 'limp mode', had 'wrench' on and seatbelt light on. No response to accelerator. Pulled into first side street. Rough idle, I shut down and restarted. Now normal operation, drove home, no problem. I have used only Exxon and Shell fuel. Throttle Body?

• Like 1

Took to dealer this morning, started and drove fine. Dealer checked for test codes P2112 and P2111. Stated 'Throttle Body Stuck Open'. Dealer check 'Oasis' and found TSB 16-0139, performed service procedure. Replaced Throttle Body, cleared code and road tested. Total time at dealer 1 hour 5 minutes. according to invoice, new throttle body part number is ATZ*9E926*B. Hopefully this cures problem. Really fine support from dealer.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

2016 Edge Titanium, 12,000 miles...Two weeks ago while on vacation, the "wrench'' light went on and I immediately had almost no power. I was able to pull off the road and then turned the engine off. I restarted it, it fired right up and I was lucky (in a way) that I was about a mile from a Ford dealer, so I drove there and they got the car in the shop and traced the problem to a faulty throttle body. They replaced it in about an hour which included the mechanic taking the car out on a road test and everything's been fine since. Everything was under warranty... :thumbsup:

Claude. :)

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

Ford Edge 2013 v6 3.5l  62000 miles. Have got wrench sign twice in 2 weeks. Car is not under warranty. After reading here have got my TB cleaned lets hope its resolved else i would take it to dealer for replacement.  Here in dubai the dealers are not so user friendly. 

Gen 1.5 is 2011-14 for the Edge.  If you got the wrench light, it would have set a code in the PCM.  If that code was P21xx then replacement of the throttle body is required.  It is important you NOT restart the vehicle after getting that wrench light.  Then the code will show up.  If you restart it, the code clears and you may never see it.