Adaptive steering fault

Why is "clock spring" a mystery? It's what connects the wiring in the steering wheel to the car and allows the wheel to turn without kinking the wires. Clock spring failures are relatively common.

Again, I stand edified. In all my years as a wanna be car guy, I never heard that part mentioned ever. Which is why it was a mystery to me.

I have actually never heard of any clock spring failures in cars my entire life, and I have owned a lot of different cars since steering wheels basically started doing double duty as the remote control for your car's infotainment system. I am guessing with the way that Ford is doing their active steering system, there was a learning curve involved. I have traditionally bought a new car every 3-5 years as I have historically put on 30000-40000+ miles per year on my cars. The highest mileage car I had had 150k miles on it and never broke down.

I miss that car. At the time, I had dreamed I would own one with the 4.0 litre v8 except Ford axed it by the time I got to the point I could finally afford it. Now Ford gives us these Lincolns based on FWD platforms that are about as unique as Lexus and Acura is to their Honda and Toyota brands. The LS was special until Ford stopped innovating it and it fell behind.

My parents had a Lincoln LS V8 and it was a steaming pile of you know what. Looked nice and was the key selling point to a new generation of Lincoln buyers (trying to pull them away from the German cars and not just trying to compete against Cadillac). In the end, quality hindered and eventually crippled it.

The Sport active steering setting actually just recalibrates the wheel to require more effort at low and highway speeds. I am not sure what it does to the adjustment of steering ratios as you drive, but I have never gone back to the normal mode since I switched it to be on the sport steering setting all the time. The normal setting feels too light and floaty for my taste.

I am glad that Ford is making progress on this issue. That is the downfall of being volunteered to test cutting edge technology. I still believe this will be an isolated incident. Notice that since this thread started, we really havn't had a whole lot of people running here to report this problem. There are likely at least 10000 2016 Sports on the roads and a high failure rate would have caused a stampede to the internet forums. Since the 2016's have been out for over a year now, some have probably hit high miles.

It does more than require more effort. It changes the ratio of the steering so you can have the best of both worlds. Relaxed driving and then a sportier steering response. SECM is basically the steering wheel. There is a module behind it that has a ring pinion gear and motor attached. The ratio changes in the steering in BOTH modes according to the speed of the vehicle. This system is never fully OFF.

There is another TSB that just came out:

Nov 3 2016 3960 - 2016 Edge/MKX - Adaptive/Active Steering - Check Adaptive/Active Steering Message Illuminated With DTC C1B00

See TSB: 16-2066 for details.

It calls for replacing the steering wheel:

Issue: Some 2016 Edge/MKX vehicles equipped with adaptive/active steering may exhibit a check adaptive/active steering message illuminated in the instrument panel cluster (IPC) message center with diagnostic trouble code (DTC) C1B00 stored in the steering effort control module (SECM).

Bingo. My dealer replaced the Steering Wheel... TWICE. 1st one Adaptive Steering wasn't working, 2nd one was Grinding when turning the wheel. FWIW, the steering wheel part number has been discontinued, Ford referred to a new steering wheel part number. (of both didn't work)

After escalations with FoMoCo and having my car at the dealer for about 20 days, 3rd pickup. Ford realized that one more trip would meet Michigan Lemon Law. It would be qualified for buyback from the manufacture. In Michigan it is 4 repairs for the same issue or 30 days on in-service.

Anyways, I got my car back on Friday and it seems to be fine for now. Only put a couple hundred miles on it since I got it back.

How did they fix it? Let's say there is a new Edge Sport in the back new dealer lot that is missing a steering wheel.

Well, our 2016 Edge Titanium is in the shop for who knows how long. They are telling me the problem is the "sensor". Of course, that wouldn't explain why the steering wheel is now off center.

Anyway... after making enough noise, the dealership gave us a 2017 loaded Ford Fusion Hybrid with 400 miles on it to keep till they can fix the problem.

It's not our Edge... because other than the Adaptive Steering Fault problem, we love it. Hope to have it back by New Years.

post-43308-0-27043900-1478230856_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

Got my Edge back from the dealer yesterday after a second visit within a week, and all is ok so far, but here's the weird thing: I think they may have swapped out the steering wheel without telling me. I say this because there used to be a small plastic thread poking out from the steering wheel seam. Immediately after we bought it I noticed it and thought, shoot, that's annoying because it's where I place my hands. Well, that thread is now gone! It was really small and sharp so it was noticeable, and there was no way to snip it. Am I crazy? Would they do this without telling me and why? To avoid liability or word getting out? At this point they only told me they "reprogrammed" the system and if the light comes back on I may need a new clock spring. Been driving it for a day, and so far, so good. No light. But I'm so perplexed...

Unless your paperwork indicates that the steering wheel was replaced, it is unlikely they replaced it. Having dealer warranty work is like your medical record in terms of how everything is documented. A more likely scenario could be that someone got annoyed with it and found a way to snip it or perhaps it just wore off?

And by the way, the codes stated on my last receipt are: CB100:87-08-SECM, CB100:82-08-SECM and U0121:00-08-SECM - are any of these the "replace steering wheel" code?? According to jmr061's post, DTC C1B00 is the code. Mine seem somewhat similar; somewhat different, so I have no clue? Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Bingo. My dealer replaced the Steering Wheel... TWICE. 1st one Adaptive Steering wasn't working, 2nd one was Grinding when turning the wheel. FWIW, the steering wheel part number has been discontinued, Ford referred to a new steering wheel part number. (of both didn't work)

After escalations with FoMoCo and having my car at the dealer for about 20 days, 3rd pickup. Ford realized that one more trip would meet Michigan Lemon Law. It would be qualified for buyback from the manufacture. In Michigan it is 4 repairs for the same issue or 30 days on in-service.

Anyways, I got my car back on Friday and it seems to be fine for now. Only put a couple hundred miles on it since I got it back.

How did they fix it? Let's say there is a new Edge Sport in the back new dealer lot that is missing a steering wheel.

Wow. Ouch. Let's hope that "borrowed" steering wheel does not also have the issue. As much as I like many thing about this car, I would change it out in a hot second. I feel like I should have bought the X5 :)

Once the warranty ends, you really do not want to own an X5 unless you really like it. Talk about having to be paranoid about part failures, the X5 as well as many mid to higher end German cars can bankrupt you after the warranty is over. It is also a vehicle that does not have a good reliability track record versus the Edge which actually does well if you count out the first year models as well as those PTU's in the early ones.That is one of the reasons why many executive transportation services started moving away from German luxury cars in their fleet.

• Like 1

And by the way, the codes stated on my last receipt are: CB100:87-08-SECM, CB100:82-08-SECM and U0121:00-08-SECM - are any of these the "replace steering wheel" code?? According to jmr061's post, DTC C1B00 is the code. Mine seem somewhat similar; somewhat different, so I have no clue? Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Yes trouble codes look like that. It if you got the Check Adaptive/Active Steering Message in the cluster AND it has CB100 (any variant) in the SECM then you get a new steering wheel which contains the SECM (steering effort control module).

BTW the TSB says the old steering wheel goes in the garbage...Ford doesn't even want them back.

Edited by jmr061
  • Like 2

Yes trouble codes look like that. It if you got the Check Adaptive/Active Steering Message in the cluster AND it has CB100 (any variant) in the SECM then you get a new steering wheel which contains the SECM (steering effort control module).

BTW the TSB says the old steering wheel goes in the garbage...Ford doesn't even want them back.

After the 2 newer replacement (SECM aka Steering Wheels) from Ford which didn't work, they pulled one out of a new car from the dealer lot. So my fix in the end was to swap the wheel from a new car. So I'm actually still using an old part.

Wonderful.

We really need to push for FORD to issue a RECALL for an actual FIX. The only way this will happen is if people start reporting this issue to the NHTSB.

Please if you have not already, submit a Vehicle Complaint here:

https://www-odi.nhts...hicleComplaint/

It only takes about 5-10 minutes, please make sure you include details of steering wheel going off center and error codes.

Thank you.

• Like 2

Thank you jmr061. I'm now convinced they swapped out the steering wheel without telling me, but why...?? The good news is all seems fine at the moment.

• Like 1

After the 2 newer replacement (SECM aka Steering Wheels) from Ford which didn't work, they pulled one out of a new car from the dealer lot. So my fix in the end was to swap the wheel from a new car. So I'm actually still using an old part.

Wonderful.

Unless just maybe that car was new enough that it had the new part? Or is that impossible because no new cars have the new part yet?