Have to pay for 2nd key from ford???

I took delivery on my 07' Edge 3 days ago- As I was picking it up the dealer tells me he only has 1 key & if I want an extra one I have to pay $185!!!

WHAT??????? Are they kidding me??? A multi million dollar company cant absorb the price of a key for their customer??

I have purchased an 05 Mustang GT, an 06 Mustang GT, an 06 F150 Lariat and now an 07 Edge- I have given Ford a boat load of my business in the last 3- 1/2 years. If I dont get a key with this car, I will never spend another cent with Ford.

How can you leave out that detail when your selling a vehicle?? That I need to pay for a 2nd key??? Seriously,....I just gave them $23500 and they cant pay for a key to be made??? Im livid right now. They pretty much told me to take a hike & wont even take my phone calls. I have called the BBB and NY attourney general & plan on filing HUGE complaints.

If you live in the NY/Long Island area, do not buy a vehicle from Stevens or Smithtown Ford. They are real unprofessional and do not care about their customers after your seat is in the car-

I took delivery on my 07' Edge 3 days ago- As I was picking it up the dealer tells me he only has 1 key & if I want an extra one I have to pay $185!!!

WHAT??????? Are they kidding me??? A multi million dollar company cant absorb the price of a key for their customer??

I have purchased an 05 Mustang GT, an 06 Mustang GT, an 06 F150 Lariat and now an 07 Edge- I have given Ford a boat load of my business in the last 3- 1/2 years. If I dont get a key with this car, I will never spend another cent with Ford.

How can you leave out that detail when your selling a vehicle?? That I need to pay for a 2nd key??? Seriously,....I just gave them $23500 and they cant pay for a key to be made??? Im livid right now. They pretty much told me to take a hike & wont even take my phone calls. I have called the BBB and NY attourney general & plan on filing HUGE complaints.

If you live in the NY/Long Island area, do not buy a vehicle from Stevens or Smithtown Ford. They are real unprofessional and do not care about their customers after your seat is in the car-

Sorry to here about your experience with that dealer.Try not to blame Ford though-that dealer seems like a knob to me.

We picked up our 07 MKX just a couple of weeks ago and not only did we get the second key but I got them to throw in the trailer tow,winter floor mats and wireless headphones for the dvd player.The experience with Universal Ford here in Calgary, Alberta was fantastic and we love our MKX. :shades:

I hope this works out for you,and enjoy your new Edge!

not that it matters now, but for future readers, you can buy a spare OEM Ford key fob off eBay cheap....35-45$, pay to get it cut (cheap at Home Depot) and then have the dealer program them for you since you need at least 2 keys to program any other if you want to do it on your own. A lot cheaper this way. I did this when I bought my car - they actually cut if for me for free as I walked in with the blank key fob the day I purchased - just to be safe and IF you have/had 2 keys, you can/could program the others yourself at home like I did.

I would call Lincoln..... These cars come delivered from the factory with two programmed key fobs. Sounds like someone may have stolen the other one or they lost it... I wouldn't have taken delivery ...

When I picked up my '07 MKX (Manhattan Ford - NY CIty) the salesman gave me two key fobs ...

Good luck ....

Hi Cappi. :D Was this a new or used Edge?

New vehicles from Ford are delivered with two keys standard. If the Dealer attempted to charge you for a second key on a new Edge, they were robbing you. If it was a new Edge, you should call the Ford Customer Service number (it is listed in your Owners Manual) and file a complaint.

If it was a used Edge, then the story is a little different. Perhaps the previous owner only turned in one key when they traded it in. Even so, for the sake of good will, the Dealer still should have cut you a extra key for free, or for a minimal charge.

However, either way, it is not Ford's fault. Dealers are independent franchises, and by law the auto manufacturers have little control over the dishonest ones.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Ask the dealer who the previous owner was and hound them for the extra key. Appears like they didn't turn it in when they traded-in the vehicle.

All new vehicles will have two keys. When you buy used, luck of the draw. At a minimum, the dealership should sell it to you at a wholesale price, and program it for you at internal labor rates - not retail.

Thanks for all your feedback. The dealership treated me like real crap after I complained. They didnt want to hear it at all. Yes it was used and they told me they only got it with one key. Still IMO I thought they should have gotten me one. After all my bitching, calling Ford directly, contacting the NY State attouney general,...they contacted me back last night & they suddenly FOUND the key. Unreal!!

Thanks for all your feedback. The dealership treated me like real crap after I complained. They didnt want to hear it at all. Yes it was used and they told me they only got it with one key. Still IMO I thought they should have gotten me one. After all my bitching, calling Ford directly, contacting the NY State attouney general,...they contacted me back last night & they suddenly FOUND the key. Unreal!!

Good for you!!! it's funny that they pull this crap, probably less than $50 to replace it. my local chevy dealer did this to me after i bought my Tahoe. over a key they lost a sale of a car (hello Ford). Ford best treat me GooD, if not i'll be heading to the foreign side (honda treated pretty good back in 2000)

Hello People!! Are you freakin' kidding me!!!!! :banghead: Any time you buy a NEW vehicle, the dealer MUST provide you with TWO keys, and TWO remotes. No if, ands, or buts. This is total BS. Do NOT let your dealer get away with charging you $$$ for and "extra" key. Now I take all this back if you bought a used vehicle from the dealer. :mellow:

• 3 weeks later...

:redcard:

Ask the dealer who the previous owner was and hound them for the extra key. Appears like they didn't turn it in when they traded-in the vehicle.

All new vehicles will have two keys. When you buy used, luck of the draw. At a minimum, the dealership should sell it to you at a wholesale price, and program it for you at internal labor rates - not retail.

yeah exactly.

I'm glad the guy ended up hounding the dealer until he got the 2nd key. I had a dealer do this to me on some floor mats when I bought my previous car. friggin' $50 floor mats!!!! never again...

I learned my lesson pretty quick - don't go back to that dealer, and everything he said must be in writing before I'll sign anything at all. I was already pretty skeptical, but still took their word on this one. still a bit young & naiive I guess.

btw, the dealer who I ordered my Edge from said they wanted a $500 check to order the vehicle for me (which they wouldn't cash). guess what, they cashed it the next day :redcard:

• 3 months later...

It's BS. I was issued two keys the second I took delivery.

EDIT: Never mind. I see it was used. All bets off. Needed to be negotiated in the purchase.

-Larry

Edited by LarrysEdge