MPG

Riden and a guiden

I've tried to look through the site on fuel mileage and seem to only find threads on the subject when someone is having an issue with bad fuel mileage. Am I correct in assuming the average is around 20mpg. My next question is how accurate is the dash read out showing mpg. I only ask because I bought the car for the little woman just a couple weeks ago and I work out of town through the week so haven't been able to manually check fuel efficiency. When I got in it this weekend The dash reads 35 mpg, and if that's even close to accurate then I'm impressed. I have to say that it is driven in best case scenario for as optimal fuel mileage. 3 miles down a two lane country road at 55mph, 15 miles down the interstate, then about a half mile to her job which only consist of two stop lights. Is that kind of milage possible or is the read out way off.

It IS possible to see those numbers if you have a) just filled up the tank and b] drive downslope from the gas station with little to no input on the gas pedal. I had occasion to do this once a couple of years back, and the dash showed 28+ mpg and climbing (driver + pass in vehicle). As to accuracy, I would not believe it, because the level of fuel reported changes depending on whether the vehicle is on level ground or not. Also, the dash mileage may meet hand calculated mileage, or it may be 1 mpg off. You will have to check for yourself, bottom line.

After three days of combined driving, I have barely managed 20 mpg, resetting the meter for various conditions. We live in foothils of NC, so it's up and down hills constantly. The Edge is a pig, as the reviews say, for MPG. I hope gas stays relatively cheap. My old OIds Aurora got better than reviews, but the the Edge so far is unimpressive for MPG. The Olds would do 27mpg hwy no problem at 75 mph, 17 - 22 around town. And that was a big car. And with 210K on the odo. This is going to be an adjustment. I was expecting worse mileage, but not really prepared to see high teens. Was hoping for a litle better. So I would say the OP's 35 MPG was way off reality.

Ā 

Randy

• Like 1

Crash and emissions requirements have changed a lot since the Aurora was made. But Fords do not excel at mpg in normal everyday driving. I've found you need to do a lot of coasting where you get completely off the gas in order for the deceleration fuel shut off to engage to get max MPG.

Ā 

Driving downhill with a tailwind also helps a lot.....

• Like 1

My 2007 is doing just about 19 mpg for my daily drive. All up and down hill. It was doing about 17 before I changed the plugs. Driving habits, road conditions and weather have a lot to do with mileage. I'm actually happy with the mileage compared to my 2002 Grand Cherokee 4.0 liter. It gets 14.5 under the same conditions.

As for 35 MPG you can get it if you reset the readout while going downhill and shut the car off without ever touching the gas. The next time you check it you might see 75 MPG.

This is an SUV, it is heavy and has a pretty strong 6 cyl. engine, it also has the aerodynamics of a brick.

• Like 1

First it depends as to whether you are driving a FWD or AWD.

Ā 

I have a 2009 MKX, AWD, 3.5 L engine and 20" tires. In the city (& rural) I see mid 15's to 19's depending on how much stop and go. Highway I have seen as high as 24.

Ā 

One (big) trick to better milage is, always keep to rpm's under 2000; especially when accelerating. Prolonged periods of idling lowers mpg as well.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

It actually went up one and showed 36 before I reset it Thursday. Topped off the tank and wrote the mileage down. I had to leave right away but she told me when she got home this evening it was back up to 30MPG. The computer must be not working correctly. It had new tires on it when we picked it up. I will check the size when I get back to make sure they are original height and not throwing it off. When she has to refill the tank she will give me the gallons and mileage, then will know for sure. Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining if it is. Lol,but I don't believe it. Although I will have to say it is so lacking in power it ought to get decent fuel mileage

Yes, I have a GPS I can check it by. I actually didn't think about the tire size until after I had already left. The speedometer is not noticeably off if it is. The tires look normal but never really checked closely on size other than i did notice at a glance that they don't seem quite as wide as I've seen for stock tires. I will look closer when I get back in.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2008 ran about 21 and on a really good day 23 (rarely) All highway driving it was FWD. The olds you mentioned in comparison is about 600 lbs lighter and much lower in profile so it stands to reason it would get a bit better mileage per gallon.

Ā 

Some things to do. Change trans fluid, change oil install new plugs if needed and maybe even new coils since the 2008 tends to have issues with coils. Tires should be 17 inch (OEM) standard size but may be larger depending on trim level etc. Proper inflation and good quality tires low rolling resistant tires may help a bit. Check the brakes to make sure nothing is hanging up or creating extra drag.

Ā 

Change to a top tier gas (look up Top Tier Gas on the interweb) then start using that as your main source and you will see a difference. I see it all the time when I have to fill up at a non top tier gas station. Would not hurt to toss a bottle of techron in the tank too.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for more tips folks. Ours had 94500 miles when bought. Oil looks new, fluids good. When spring gets here, will do more maintenance - plugs, etc. to try to get best possible out of it. On a recent trip (to grandmother's house we go - the Edge knew the way...) we achieved 23 or 24 mpg on the way down. Down to 22 by the time we got back. Still over 20 a week and a half later with lots of in town and some idling. It will never be the Aurora in so many ways. But it's okay. And bigger. The added space will make a HUGE difference on our annual sojourn to Clarksdale MS in June fully loaded with musical equipment. We take drum kit and hardware, guitar, 88 key electronic piano, 3 people and luggage for aweek. the aurora was a bit crowded. LOL. Edge should be better at that. And it is way more practical so far in other domestic pursuits as well. MPG can be lived with.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry to revive an old thread. Many of the op's stated that they were around 100k on mileage. One part that directly affects fuel economy and is subject to milage is the mass airflow sensor. Located just after the air cleaner, it consists of a fine wire element, exposed directly to all of the air entering the engine.

Over time (aka miles) it will accumulate a fine film of dirt over the wire. This, in turn will throw off the air flow reading to the computer and directly affect gas milage.

To clean it, you unplug the electricsl connector, then pop off the air cleaner housing and spray "mass airflow sensor cleaner" directly on the device. (Never touch the wire as it's very delicate). Use only a cleaner designed specifically for a mass airflow sensor, never anything else.

IE https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000J19XSA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487399543&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=mass+airflow+sensor+cleaner

Ā 

Follow directions on the can, don't get too close. Let dry and spray liberally again. Before reinstalling the housing containing the MAF let it dry completely.

Ā 

High mileage isn't the only thing that affects the sensor. If your not using an OEM air filter, you may be allowing fine dirt to bypass the filter (a slight gap anywhere around the filter seal is sufficient) will cause the MAF to get coated faster. (Just can't beat Motorcraft filters).

It's especially true if your using an oiled air cleaner, as the oil will lightly coat the wire and throw off the sensor. If you use these, remember to clean the MAF regularly.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

I wish I got 20mpg. I'll get roughly 23-24 on the highway, and 16 city. My MPG on the dash reads 17.9 today after resetting it roughly 1000 miles ago. I use low grade fuel in a relatively flat area and drive light footed. Just recently changed sparkplugs to bosch iridium OE replacements, replaced air filter with OE replacement, and cleaned the MAF.

Have you run Techron Concentrate Plus through a couple of tanks of fuel? Or BG 44K in a single tank? I would do that closer to oil change time, even though it is said not needed. Don't want that c*** in the oil for long.

Ā 

Your mpg is very reasonable for the conditions stated. It gets better at highway speeds the longer you drive, and your mpg shows that. City/stopngo driving, cold weather startups, etc. KILL mpg.

• Like 1