Middle East - does ford limit speed on the Edge?

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

If manufacturered in Canada/USA, I'd imagine that they'd follow those specs & in the USA speed limits (in some areas are over 80 mph), I'd say it's around 95-100. But going through the inspections over in the middle east, they may impose a different speed limitation in the computer. But, usually it for what the oem tires are rated at. They don't want you to be traveling at 90 on tires rated 70mph (unlikely rated that low) & blow up while driving down the road.

Ā 

Remember that tires rated at 95 can go for a short while above 95 & not have a problem, but if you're traveling over 100 for an extended period of time (like 10+ minutes) the integrity of the tire will likely degrade & cause a pretty bad accident.

• Like 1

Middle East Fords are speed limited, usually the same as US versions or a little higher. I think the Edge/MKX here can go to around 115~118 mph (185~190 KPH), I don't recall trying it myself. Also, all Middle East Ford vehicles from North America get what they call in ETIS "With High Ambient Temp/Speed Pack", usually it meant better cooling, better pads & better tires. For example, with the Crown Victoria we got police spec tires/radiator/pads. For the Edge we got the towing package components, but the same tires.

• Like 1

My Goodyear Eagle RS-A's are Speed Rated H - 130mph.

Ā 

Edit: Just did some checking... automobile-catalog.com/professcars estimates 136mph top speed with 4235lbs curb weight, full fuel tank, and 200lbs load theoretical top speed without governor.

Edited by chefduane
  • Like 1

Let me worry about my verifications.

Ā 

You worry about yours.

Ā 

If your verifications are on public roads then that is very much MY business since you're putting me and my family and countless other innocent strangers at risk.

Ā 

Obviously you can do what you want but don't say it's none of our business on public roads.

Ā 

Ā 

The limiter is based on more than tires and vehicle components. A TON of them are limited to speeds less than components/tires are capable of.

Ā 

Example?

Not any more:

Ā 

"..but this time Ford has dumped hi-test in the terminal-velocity discussion by claiming a 200-mph top speed for the 2013 GT500. In fact, 202 mph, supposedly observed on a test run at the circular 7.8-mile circular Nardo Ring in southern Italy."

Ā 

Source: Car and Driver - Flat Out! We Gun for 200 MPH in the 2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500. August 2012 Issue.

Ā 

The article does say that 2011 and earlier GT500's had limiters at 155 but that their test driver was able to get the 2013 to 189+change but not quite to 190. Pretty damn fast! In a previous career I drove a 1998 Olds Alero Indy Pace Car around the Indy 500 at 100mph (track official said that was max allowed for a civilian driver) and that was fast enough for me! Got to do 5 laps - one of the best driving days I've ever had!!

Edited by chefduane
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...