Tint - VLT of Rear Privacy Glass for 2017 Edge Titanium

Has anyone used a Visible Light Meter to measure the light transmission of the factory rear windows on a 2017 Edge (or other model year)? I'm curious what the actual light transmission is. Additionally, for anyone that has tinted the front driver and passenger windows to match the factory rear privacy glass, what brand, color and percentage did you use and how well does it match?

I'm in PA, where the tint laws seem to be very much in a gray area - most info online clearly states that the front windows must have a 70% VLT, however, many people claim that these are merely regulations set by PennDOT which governs highway patrol, and not the actual written law. I would err on the side of caution and prefer to comply with the "regulations" to avoid any mishaps and arguments with state troopers, but a few installers I've talked to say they typically install 20% for their customers, and many don't stock anything lighter than 35%.

I'd like to install a film that will greatly reduce heat buildup, infrared and UV Rays, but I don't want to run the risk of getting pulled over. Therefore, I'd like to choose a film that is slightly lighter than the back windows, which would be easier to choose if I know what percentage the back windows are...

Thanks,

Typically the rear windows are 20%. I couldn't tell you the brand I used as my friend does the tinting. As far as the 70% that is correct as to the law in NY I can't speak for PA. But unfortunately the laws in NY have changed and if you have front tint it will no longer pass New York State Inspection. If you want to go with little tint but not dark I would suggest 35%. Or 50% is a very light and will almost look as if there isn't any tint on the car at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your response. I'm still researching options for who / where I want to take my car for tinting. I had a highly recommended guy lined up, but he only uses Suntek Standard Pro and only carries 35% and darker. I don't think that's what I'm looking for. I don't mind the factory look of having the front windows lighter than the rest (I really don't want to get pulled over), and I'm mainly looking for performance gains in reducing heat and protecting my leather and vinyl / plastics from direct sunlight. So I am looking for a place with great reviews that offers better products than Suntek Standard Pro, like perhaps the 3M Crystalline, or even the Suntek CXP. I may go with 50% on the front side windows, and perhaps 90% on the factory tinted privacy glass. I will probably go with something like a 40% on the vista roof.

Why would you tint the rear glass and the pano roof? They are already tinted and they are legal tint as well. The backs are allowed to be dark. If you tint the rear glass and the pano roof then your just throwing your money away. Just tint the front 2 windows as they are they only windows left to be tinted.

I was reading about a film from Germany that had 85% but still had good IR rejection and excellent UV protecton. Don't have any experience with it however.

https://www.huperoptikusa.com/downloads/

BTW, was talking to a local sherrif deputy at a party about dark windiw tints. He said that he would would never pull over any car for dark tint, but that the car would definitely attract his attention.

Anything that jumped out would definitely warrant a stop (brake or license light out, wrong turn, etc) and 'after' the car was stopped for the infraction, he would whip out his tester (they all carry an optical tester) and check the % of visible light transfer.

Said that he has the authority to prevent the car from being operated on public roads for too much tint. Said he has had a couple of cars towed, mainly because the driver was a prick. (They just lovvvve to stick it to a prick. Makes their day interesting.) lol

He also said that any commercial shop will not put on >5% on winshield as they know it's illegal and customer can come back on them for legal action.

So the illegal stuff is assumed to have been put on by the owner. Makes him take a second look at the car for other reasons. He will also measure bumper height (calls dispatch and they look up to see what it should be). Has to do with headlight alignment. Has written several tickets on this. (He also said that bumper height doesn't apply to trucks, just cars. Asked about SUV and CUV. Said it depended if registered as a car or truck).

• Like 1

Why would you tint the rear glass and the pano roof? They are already tinted and they are legal tint as well. The backs are allowed to be dark. If you tint the rear glass and the pano roof then your just throwing your money away. Just tint the front 2 windows as they are they only windows left to be tinted.

From what I understand, the privacy glass that comes from the factory doesn't do a very good job at blocking UV, Heat, etc. It's just a dark colored tint impregnated in the glass for "privacy". I don't believe there is any "film" installed in the back from the factory - just dark glass. I would add a nearly transparent film in the back for the heat blocking characteristics I previously mentioned. As for the pano roof, I would add a film there because I still feel a good bit of heat beating on me from above when the shade is open and the glass panel is closed. I like driving with the shade open and the panel either closed or just venting, so adding the film there is more of a comfort convenience that I (and the Mrs.) would appreciate. Though I don't think I personally would go as dark as 5% since I still want the benefit of the views / open feeling of having the glass roof in the first place. I just want to cut down on heat build-up in the cabin as opposed to making everything look dark (I want to keep it classy and rather stock looking, but with performance enhancements). That's my primary goal.

• Like 1

I was reading about a film from Germany that had 85% but still had good IR rejection and excellent UV protecton. Don't have any experience with it however.

https://www.huperoptikusa.com/downloads/

BTW, was talking to a local sherrif deputy at a party about dark windiw tints. He said that he would would never pull over any car for dark tint, but that the car would definitely attract his attention.

I've heard a bit about Huper Optik, specifically on some tint-related forums. Most everything I heard about them was positive, along with a popular company called Llumar. I'm still trying to find the time to refine my research and determine the products I'd like to get the most, and then marry that to a reputable authorized dealer near me (probably the more challenging task) to install that preferred product for me.

In regards to your statements about the police / sheriff, I totally agree with what you're saying. The tint installers all have disclaimers that we owners proceed with the install at our own risk. I have read about the laws and regulations in my home state. Ignorance to the law is not grounds for breaking it. I would not install an illegal tint in the expectations that the installer would cover my ticket. As such, I specifically don't want to draw attention to my vehicle, which is why I don't want dark tints installed to begin with. While the cops may be looking for more interest throughout their day, I don't want to be the source of that additional "interest". I just want to ride nice and cool when the humidity is scorching the earth outside of my cabin. Stay cool...

Ahhhhhhh, when it's open? I should look into this, when mine is "open" that darn ol' sun just bears down and burns the top of my head. lol

I guess i should have mentioned that when the shade is back or the panoramic is tilted up in the back. We rarely have the it all the way back

I was stopped several years ago specifically for dark tint on a Camaro Z28 that I had just bought a few days earlier. I don't know the percentage but the tint was dark enough that I had to roll down the window when making turns at night. He let me go when I explained that I had bought it that way (showed him the receipt) and that I already had an appointment to get it replaced that weekend. Probably didn't hurt that I was a "mature" age rather than a young guy. But they definitely will pull you over for tint if it's dark enough - make sure you roll down the window so they can see you if you do get pulled over or you might find yourself staring at the business end of a firearm as they approach your car.

My wife has "slightly" illegal tint on her SUV. Florida law requires 28% VLT but she had 30% installed over the already factory tinted windows making it probably somewhere around 20%. We had to pay the installer cash with no receipt so that they could avoid any liability. She's never been stopped probably because it's not that much below the limit. There are so many people around here with really dark tint that they don't seem to bother anyone with reasonable amounts.

3M makes an almost transparent version of their Crystalline film that has good heat and UV rejection. We had it installed on the large windshield of our Edge and it made a noticeable difference even though you really couldn't see it was there unless you compared it directly with another vehicle (90% VLT). It's available in a number of tint levels so you should be able to get the performance you want without needing to go too dark.

Edited by TheWizard
  • Like 1

Sorry, I don't have enough hair to do a mullet - haven't had for a long time. Back then I was looking for an inexpensive (i.e. used) V8 pony car and the Mustangs of the time were seriously lacking in that department compared to LT1 / LS1 F-bodies. I have since come to my senses and now drive a Mustang... probably the most enjoyable car I've ever owned.

• Like 1

3M makes an almost transparent version of their Crystalline film that has good heat and UV rejection. We had it installed on the large windshield of our Edge and it made a noticeable difference even though you really couldn't see it was there unless you compared it directly with another vehicle (90% VLT). It's available in a number of tint levels so you should be able to get the performance you want without needing to go too dark.

Thanks for the comment TheWizard. I mentioned the 3M Crystalline in my second post (#3). I'm seriously considering that product line if I can find a qualified installer near me. I just haven't had a ton of time to investigate lately as I am swamped with... life. I like that it comes in 90, 70, 60, 50, 40 and 20, so again, it would achieve my goals outlined in post #3. I like your idea of putting the 90% on the windshield - I wasn't initially planning on putting any film on the windshield, but I may consider that actually.

My front windows are 45% Sun Tek . They are not purple and the color matches the stock tint. You can still see inside so it should not cause any problems with the popo. Sun Tek also come with a lifetime warranty .

post-46130-0-19641500-1501025599_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xtra

Damn dude, sweet ride! That SunTek 45 does look great in front of the factory rear tint. 45% from SunTek can only be Carbon or CXP. Do you know which you have? They are both better products than the Standard Pro that was suggested to me by an installer. I think I'd prefer the CXP but haven't priced it out yet. And I still need to take a closer look at some reference photos for the 3M Crystalline.