Rear brake rotor grooves

The rear brake rotors on my 2016 Edge SEL have worn deep grooves. The original rotors were replaced and now the replacement rotors are grooved at 31k miles.

Calipers were cleaned and lubricated and new pads installed.

Dealer does not have a fix from Ford.

Anyone else have this problem?

Anyone have a Ford solution?

My calipers haven't been replaced, but I've replaced my front rotors & pads & just the pads on the rear of my 16 SEL, rotors are OEM. Only reason for replacement, was the excessive amounts of brake dust within a few hundred miles. Brake Dust was so bad that it was nearly like an oil like fluid all over each wheel. Replaced all 4 with ceramic pads & get virtually 0 brake dust or if i do get brake dust, it usually just blows off with a pressure washer.

Rear rotors still look like new with just over 24,000. Dealers sometimes aren't the best choices, just depends on the dealer/service person. I'd recommend replacing the rears with a good aftermarket brand like Centric & decent pads. While the caliper is off, I'd clean the slider pins & grease them really good & look for any rust on the piston.

Dealer probably turned the rotors or resurfaced them instead of replacing them.

• Like 3

Lot of talk over in the Ford truck forum about 2016 models and grooved rotors. One guy reported he talked to a service technician and he told him that Ford switched to "much harder material" on the pads, due to "issues in the previous generations".

Here's the link:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1441846-2016-front-brake-rotor-grooves.html

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 2

Lot of talk over in the Ford truck forum about 2016 models and grooved rotors. One guy reported he talked to a service technician and he told him that Ford switched to "much harder material" on the pads, due to "issues in the previous generations".

Here's the link:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1441846-2016-front-brake-rotor-grooves.html

Thanks for the info. Will check it out.

• 1 year later...

2019 Edge, rear rotors smooth at 8, 200 total miles three weeks go when at dealership for oil/filter/rotate tires. When vehicle taken to dealership front and rear rotors were smoth. The dealership inspected/measured the pads.We wouldn't talk about the fact that the dealership doesn't know the correct procedure to rotate tires. Anyway I casually look at brake rotors , today 600 miles latter both rear rotors are heavily grooved. Front rotors are smooth. Should be interesting after the dealer inspects. 

Edited by David Dewhurst

Set up appointment for dealer to check pads/grooved rotors. First thing out of Tech's mouth after I told him both rear rotors have grooves full width of pads and front rotors are smooth was a stone must have got caught and grooved the rotor. I questioned if he thought it was a coincidence both rear rotors were grooved and neither front rotor was grooved. I asked if he knew how much clearance existed between the pad and rotor and the Tech didn't have a clue. I told him at the inspection appointment I wanted to see the pads/rotors when taken apart. SHOW ME THE STONE/STONES full width of the rotor.