2013 Edge Sport AWD PTU

1bata

I have a 2013 Edge with 34,000 miles. My wife drives this, and she came home Monday saying the car is making a noise. I went out and test drove it, and when drive at a steady speed or let off of the throttle, there is a Noise coming from the car. Almost sounds like a "card in a bicycle" noise.

I took it to my local guy here, and he put it on the lift and said that the noise was coming from the transmission. He pulled the fill plug out, and it had metal shavings all over it. The fluid inside was full of sludge.

So my question is, should I try to drill and drain the unit, or am I going to have to replace it?

Thanks in advance.

I have a 2013 Edge with 34,000 miles. My wife drives this, and she came home Monday saying the car is making a noise. I went out and test drove it, and when drive at a steady speed or let off of the throttle, there is a Noise coming from the car. Almost sounds like a "card in a bicycle" noise.

I took it to my local guy here, and he put it on the lift and said that the noise was coming from the transmission. He pulled the fill plug out, and it had metal shavings all over it. The fluid inside was full of sludge.

So my question is, should I try to drill and drain the unit, or am I going to have to replace it?

Thanks in advance.

Depending on the cars first in service date you might be eligible for the 5 year 55,000 mile power train warranty. You may be able to save it if its not under warranty. I always try to pursue the cheapest alternative first.

If it is not under warranty, Ask your wrench to drain it and fill it and drive a few miles and rinse wash repeat. Do not let your wrench use motorcraft fluid. That's part of the problem. Review MACT webinar on PTU fluid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L47UXfdNie4

Edited by onyxbfly
  • Like 1

If it is not under warranty, Ask your wrench to drain it and fill it and drive a few miles and rinse wash repeat. Do not let your wrench use motorcraft fluid. That's part of the problem.

Ah yes, you must be using on of those new Craftsman "talk to you wrench" wrenches. Been thinking of picking a set of those. Dammed expensive or so I've heard. Do they do a good job?

<couldn't resist, sorry>

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 3

The mechanic does not suggest doing the oil swap. He says that when he put it on the lift and ran the car, the PTU sounded horrible.

The cost of a new PTU is basically $900+ whatever labor he would charge to install it. That is a Ford PTU.

I was looking tonight online, and it appears that Dorman make a product for around $650. Would this be better than the Ford?

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-97767-600-234.aspx?year=2013&make=Ford&model=Edge&origin=&parttype=Power%2520Take%2520Off%2520%28PTO%29%2520Assembly&enginebase=V6%2520227%25203.7L%2520%283726cc%29

^ Wow, that's pretty interesting that Dorman is making a direct aftermarket replacement for the PTU. Also interesting is that you can either buy it and have it delivered to a local AutoZone or have it drop shipped directly to your doorstep. The Dorman site doesn't mention if it comes with a drain plug but if a replacement is needed it might be worthwhile to buy one, drill and tap it for a drain plug, and then have it installed by a local shop. Definitely keep this bookmarked! Good find 1bata!

The mechanic does not suggest doing the oil swap. He says that when he put it on the lift and ran the car, the PTU sounded horrible.

The cost of a new PTU is basically $900+ whatever labor he would charge to install it. That is a Ford PTU.

I was looking tonight online, and it appears that Dorman make a product for around $650. Would this be better than the Ford?

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-97767-600-234.aspx?year=2013&make=Ford&model=Edge&origin=&parttype=Power%2520Take%2520Off%2520%28PTO%29%2520Assembly&enginebase=V6%2520227%25203.7L%2520%283726cc%29

Did you check to see if your edge is covered under the 5 year / 55,000 mile powertrain warranty? If it is then the R&R is free!

• Like 1

That is a Ford PTU.

Unlikely. You know what your getting with Motorcraft but no idea as to where they cheapened the unit to sell for so much less. Remember that most of the parts (if not all) were made in China. Ever since the Dorman family sold the business some years ago, the current owners use the brand on parts they source from all around the globe.

If your keeping the car, I'd go Motorcraft. If you intend to sell it, Dorman.

BTW, if the origional warranty is over, do you have an extended warranty?

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 2

You can find the original PTU online for $650.00. Example:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Ford-PTU-Transfer-Case-Assembly-Taurus-Edge-Explorer-Flex/192576835736

Note that there are many versions of the original PTU, they are supposedly incremental improvements. You won't be able to know the Dorman part is equivalent to which version as they are all interchangeable. I'd suggest you get the latest number from the dealer & then look for it online.

• Like 2

I know this thread is a little old. I didn’t see anyone reply to your Q if you should drill & tap it. IMO I’d say drill it if the seals aren’t leaking. You might be able to save it. You’ll have to do several fluid swaps tho. Read up on what others have done. Gear lube with some ATF. Drain, drive, drain. Failing at 34,000 miles is disgusting. I feel for you... :(.