Thinking about purchasing 2015:Sport

Cindy19

Hello-

I’ve been researching cars and thought I’d like to buy a 2015 Sport. I started to find complaints about the engine coming to a complete stall when driving. How do I know if the vehicle I purchase will have this problem? Has anyone here experienced this problem? Help....?

I believe that was a throttle body issue not specific to the sport models.  Most likely would have been fixed already.   Have a dealer pull an Oasis report if you want to see the history.  It’s not a terribly expensive repair.  About $500 at the dealer, $150 and 15 minutes if you DIY.

• Like 1

Ok. So I should be looking at the 2016 and check to see if the throttle bottle issue has been taken care of. 

What about the issue of windows fogging up and defrosters not working? 

Also, i have no car “fixing” skills. I’ve been reading some of the posts and it appears that people are doing a lot of their own fixes.... would I need those skills?

Thank you!

My brother has a 2015 sport. He doesn't have a single one of the issues that you may come across.  If you see a car on any website that lemon/salvaged title just keep it moving.  Some lemon cars are Ford Corporate buy backs or lemoned for other reasons. 

In regards to maintenance some prefer DIY and others prefer going to the dealership.   

• Like 1

The difference is basically what the dealer which one the dealer wants to pay for.  They both cover the same type of stuff. Keep in mind they can only cover what is reported. If a accident is not reported, it will not show up.  

Autocheck and Carfax both resell information from NMVTIS.    

Due diligence is best. 9/10 dealerships will allow for a independent pre purchase inspection.  If they don't want to shop elsewhere. I had a dealer once tell me they do not allow non personnel into the service bay.  But they were willing to drive the car within reasonable distance to a mechanic of my choice to inspect it if I was willing to pay for their drivers time.  To me that was fair. The dealer ended up deducting the fee from the purchase price. 

If you are purchasing from a Ford dealership ask for an OASIS report. It will pull up the service history of the vehicle that was done at any Ford dealership.

Just like accident history. If the oil was changed at Jiffy Lube it will not show up. 

Edited by onyxbfly
Forgot to mention NMVTIS
  • Like 1

would you still need to take a car to an independent mechanic even if it’s a Ford Certied car?

also.... if the configuration and mileage you were looking to purchase was an 8-hour drive away... would you do that to test drive and possibly buy a used car?

Edited by Cindy19

If the car is a certified Ford then its basically up in the air at that point.  The certification is pretty thorough and in-depth. I'd more than likely skip it.  

Here is a everything that is reviewed during the certification process.

https://www.ford.com/certified-used/about-certified/inspection/

My brother and I flew out to Illinois from NY to get his Edge sport.  He returned the favor and flew out with me from Philadelphia to Minnesota to get mine.

Edited by onyxbfly
  • Like 1

"Cindy19", It's true that starting in 2016, Edges have the SYNC3 version. I have a '16 Titanium and I did experience the stalling problem while vacationing in Florida but at the time, I didn't know that it was the throttle body that went bad. I was able to drive to a local Ford dealer and they diagnosed the problem which was indeed the throttle body being defective. They replaced it under warranty and I've never had any problem whatsoever since.

Also, last year my local dealer told me about a recall about the back glass which could shatter (mine didn't) and they did the required preventive recall modification at no charge.

Other than these two issues, I've never had any problem with my Edge….The dealer asked me last week if I'd be interested in trading it for a new '19, but I said "no" and that I would keep my '16 for a few more years.

So I'd say to you go ahead and get a nice '16! :2thumbs:

Claude. ;)  

• Like 1

It means there is either a loan or lien against the vehicle.  If this is a private sale it probably means there is still a loan and that will be paid off when you purchase it.  If it's through a dealer it could mean the dealer hasn't paid off the previous loan or the paperwork hasn't caught up yet.   The only flag is if there is an actual lien against it which means somebody did work on it and didn't get paid.  The seller should take care of that by either paying it or giving you the money to pay it yourself.   It's most likely just a paperwork delay paying off the old loan.

• Like 2

Thanks for everyone’s input so far. 

I am considering a 2016 Ford Edsge Sport with almost 34,000 miles. It is Ford Certified. It has equipment group 400A which includes the Cold Weather Package- heated steering wheel and all-weather mats. The price is $27,500. Does this sound like a good price for this car?

2 hours ago, Cindy19 said:

I am considering a 2016 Ford Edsge Sport with almost 34,000 miles. It is Ford Certified. It has equipment group 400A which includes the Cold Weather Package- heated steering wheel and all-weather mats. The price is $27,500. Does this sound like a good price for this car?

Sounds a little high but you'd have to check around your area to see what others are selling for.  Prices can vary a lot from location to location.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cindy19 said:

You can get the 401A W/ cold weather package for less.....

If you decide to get an Ford extended warranty .  You will save money on the purchase price of the warranty. Especially if its still within the 3yr/ 36K miles bumper to bumper.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...