Edge ST MPG

jamie1073

3 hours ago, Fingernip said:

I really believe your issue should be addressed by your dealer. I got low 16mpg when brand new with countless hours idle (showing off the car to friends and family). Also was warmed up daily for the entire winter. It went from 16 flat to 16.8 or so while just idle after resetting it, taking a short drive across town and idling it until it shut itself off. Now with 2000 miles and only 1 real highway trip of 300 miles it displays over 18mpg. My daily commute is 2.7 miles each way and I sometimes go home for lunch. I also use sport mode often and drive like an idiot when the traffic allows. 

See yours is doing better than mine.  I did not calculate the first 1500 miles I just went by the computer.  It has increased slightly from 16.4 to 16.6 for total since new and total since I reset it when I got it, it had 100 miles on it.  My daily drive is about 8 miles to work mostly on the highway which is why I am a little dissapointed. I actually rarely drive much in the actual city where I stop and go often.  I do not warm it up anymore as I have said.  I have taken it to the dealer, they just look blankly and state to reset the mileage and try again.  I do reset my Trip 1 now every fill just to see what it says.  Then I use an app to add gallons filled, always fill up, and mileage I am at.  It does the math and tracks my mileage based on my driving habits and actual fuel used.  I idle very rarely and have tried both using start/stop and without.  I have taken two road trips that were 150 miles round trip and both after the vehicle was broken in.  I just expected better based on my previous vehicles and daily commute.  I drive home everyday to let the dogs out as well mid day so that is a total of about 36-40 miles a day.  It has gotten marginally better since I was only getting 13.8 mpg each tank when I started logging, which is why I even started because I was only getting 200 miles a tank between fills.  I just always got close to the city rating or 1-2mpg higher on all my other cars over the life of them and drive the same way.  So to get 3mpg less than the city rating is a little shocking.  To me it is not about the money to fill it, it is about the fact that I am not enjoy8ing my car because it is all that is on my mind is that I need to get gas more than once a week and I do not like that because it is a pain in the ass considering it takes more gas and the 93 pumps seem to be slow as death around here.  I like only needing to fill once a week or maybe getting 8 days out of it.  I bought this vehicle and every other one I have ever owned because I enjoy driving and do it as a stress reliever and I find it fun.  I am not finding it fun anymore with this vehicle because I am paying attention to the go pedal usage and the gas gauge. 

1 hour ago, Perblue said:

I can't believe you are still complaining about the fuel capacity. This was explained to you. If you don't like it and it makes you so happy drive it until it says 0 it will still have a reserve in it to keep people like you from burning out the fuel pump. 

As for mileage you had it at the dealership, did you discuss it with them at all or are you just grumping about it on the internet? You say you like to check if others have the issue well you've checked and repeated yourself we get your point anything we say or suggest is wrong and ignored so go deal with ford. 

I am not complaining about the capacity.  The reason for a forum, I thought, was so you could get other peoples experiences as well as suggestions based on a larger pool of people than just the locals or dealer.  I have gotten feedback and it is that everyone else is getting better.  As for the tanks reserve, pardon me for never having a vehicle in over 3 decades of experience that had a 3 gallon reserve capacity.  And compared to my last few Fords that did not have that much so I was wondering if others have found this, to which no one has really answered how much they normally put in the tank.  You see I could just go to my dealer and ask, but they have sold 1 ST and it is mine and they dealer traded it to get it for me, they have 2 more on the lot.  The other close dealer still has the same 2 on the lot.  So they know nothing and will not look it up in the system to see if others may have found this to be an issue, I was there today for other reasons.  I asked this forum because there are more ST owners here than there are in my local area. 

And pardon me for hoping this community would be ass helpful as the Focus ST community was over the years I had that car. 

So far from my post I have found that others get better mileage than I and some even have the same driving style and still get better. 

Edited by akirby
personal attack deleted

34 minutes ago, jamie1073 said:

As for the tanks reserve, pardon me for never having a vehicle in over 3 decades of experience that had a 3 gallon reserve capacity.  And compared to my last few Fords that did not have that much so I was wondering if others have found this, to which no one has really answered how much they normally put in the tank. 

I usually put in about 56-60 litres (15-16 US gallons) when the have nearly 0 km to empty. With my previous ride, a 2011 MKX with a 20 gallon tank, I would usually put 10 litres more. Sometimes as much as the advertised tank capacity. It was like the reserve capacity is in addition to the tank capacity while in the 2016 Edge the reserve is part of the rated capacity. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jamie1073 said:

I am not complaining about the capacity.  The reason for a forum, I thought, was so you could get other peoples experiences as well as suggestions based on a larger pool of people than just the locals or dealer.  I have gotten feedback and it is that everyone else is getting better.  As for the tanks reserve, pardon me for never having a vehicle in over 3 decades of experience that had a 3 gallon reserve capacity.  And compared to my last few Fords that did not have that much so I was wondering if others have found this, to which no one has really answered how much they normally put in the tank.  You see I could just go to my dealer and ask, but they have sold 1 ST and it is mine and they dealer traded it to get it for me, they have 2 more on the lot.  The other close dealer still has the same 2 on the lot.  So they know nothing and will not look it up in the system to see if others may have found this to be an issue, I was there today for other reasons.  I asked this forum because there are more ST owners here than there are in my local area. 

And pardon me for hoping this community would be ass helpful as the Focus ST community was over the years I had that car. 

So far from my post I have found that others get better mileage than I and some even have the same driving style and still get better. 

8 miles at highway speed is barely enough time to let the engine warm up and that will definitely hurt your mpg. 

11 minutes ago, akirby said:

8 miles at highway speed is barely enough time to let the engine warm up and that will definitely hurt your mpg. 

That is why I only expect around city type mileage.  Since that is what the previous vehicles got.  The engine is up to a 1/4 of the way up the gauge by the time I get to the actual highway, it takes 3-4 minutes to get to the road from the house.  My previous vehicles were the Focus ST which did not get to temp until I was further down the road for some reason, and a Fusion Sport AWD V-6 and before that a Jeep GC v-8.  They all got better mileage per tank than the Edge.  That is what boggles my mind.  I drove that Focus much harder than the Edge and in the last 6 months even harder because I had finally tuned it.  While I do not expect the same mileage I do wish it was good enough to get me at least a week, or more than 200-240 miles to the tank.  I mean I guess since it seems to have 3 gallons to spare I could make it but I really do not want to see if that is really a good idea.  I am merely comparing previous experiences and of course trying to figure out if it is me or the car or both.  I mean I have had cars than simply died on the side of the road trying to play the how far can I get when it hits the E, lol. 

1 hour ago, jamie1073 said:

That is why I only expect around city type mileage.  Since that is what the previous vehicles got.  The engine is up to a 1/4 of the way up the gauge by the time I get to the actual highway, it takes 3-4 minutes to get to the road from the house.  My previous vehicles were the Focus ST which did not get to temp until I was further down the road for some reason, and a Fusion Sport AWD V-6 and before that a Jeep GC v-8.  They all got better mileage per tank than the Edge.  That is what boggles my mind.  I drove that Focus much harder than the Edge and in the last 6 months even harder because I had finally tuned it.  While I do not expect the same mileage I do wish it was good enough to get me at least a week, or more than 200-240 miles to the tank.  I mean I guess since it seems to have 3 gallons to spare I could make it but I really do not want to see if that is really a good idea.  I am merely comparing previous experiences and of course trying to figure out if it is me or the car or both.  I mean I have had cars than simply died on the side of the road trying to play the how far can I get when it hits the E, lol. 

It seems obvious you have some type of problem affecting fuel economy.  Hopefully the dealer can eventually figure it out.  Maybe they'll let you take a loaner and try the same routes and conditions and compare mpg.

15 minutes ago, akirby said:

It seems obvious you have some type of problem affecting fuel economy.  Hopefully the dealer can eventually figure it out.  Maybe they'll let you take a loaner and try the same routes and conditions and compare mpg.

I am going to stop in the other dealer, they are closer to me anyway, what they think.  I am not sure any dealer is going to loan me a new ST to drive to compare with.  Lol.  Neither dealer within 30 miles of me has sold one as far as I know.  Heck I just saw a Sport for the first time around town yesterday.  Not sure why, heck the Kia dealer sold a loaded Stinger GT2 locally and has another one on the lot, stickered at $52K.  But apparently no one want a $52K Edge.  Will see what they say since mine would not even humor me with checking in the computer or say they would look into it. They just shrugged and said well it is a v-6.

Edited by jamie1073

Ask your dealer to perform a mileage assessment. (Apologies in advance if that is not the correct terminology.)  My 2013 SEL had terrible city mileage. I never reached advertised mixed use or city use for that matter. They asked me to get 4 full tanks and manually record mileage in and mileage out and they also asked for half tank milage.  

After I submitted the receipts with the milage notations they sent it up the chain of command and thy asked me to bring her in for a "programing/ mileage adjustment" 

I no longer have the paper work but after they did whatever they did my milage was slightly under advertised MPG if not better in some cases. 

Doesn't hurt to ask!

4 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

Ask your dealer to perform a mileage assessment. (Apologies in advance if that is not the correct terminology.)  My 2013 SEL had terrible city mileage. I never reached advertised mixed use or city use for that matter. They asked me to get 4 full tanks and manually record mileage in and mileage out and they also asked for half tank milage.  

After I submitted the receipts with the milage notations they sent it up the chain of command and thy asked me to bring her in for a "programing/ mileage adjustment" 

I no longer have the paper work but after they did whatever they did my milage was slightly under advertised MPG if not better in some cases. 

Doesn't hurt to ask!

Will do thanks. 

4 hours ago, akirby said:

Also forgot - if you always get gas at the same place, try a different station.

I do normally get it at the same station but had to get it at a different for a few tanks because the station I get it at did not have 93 for like 3 weeks for some reason, maybe a pump issue or something but all they had was 87 so I went to a Sunoco up the road.  I actually seemed to get better mileage with the 87 gas but that could just be a fluke.  It does seem to be going up ever so slightly since I was getting 13.8 and now, at least the last two tanks, getting 16 or over.  16 this last tank and 16.9 the tank before, when I got that 16.9 I was thinking maybe something broke in more or something weird.  I also noticed I hit higher boost today but that could be due to warmer weather and thus higher intake temps and more boost to compensate.  But I hit 19 a few times today just playing around since I want to enjoy the car instead of driving it carefully to get better mileage.  I am slowly giving up and just saying screw it, I got it to enjoy it not worry about it, I am just irritated now that I have to fill it more often and this tank seems to take linger to fill like either I keep picking the slowest pump or there is some sort of extra pressure holding flow back.  Last fill I had to do about 1/4 speed because the pump kept clicking off.  This tank took over 10 minutes because it was like a drizzle of fuel coming out.  Lol!  I need to move to Jersey where someone else has to pump the gas for you. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tossing in my experience to date: 559 miles since I've been letting the Fuelly app do the math; my usual approx. 50%-50% city-hwy is averaging 21.7 mpg for that distance.  The owner's manual implies that engine break-in shouldn't be considered complete until 2,000 miles, so I reset one of the tripometers at that point & have averaged 21.2 on the computer--with a significant chunk of that last 1,949 miles being during the polar vortex.  Also worth noting is that my 9 miles each way to work barely is enough to warm up the engine, so that's not very representative of highway driving.  Spring & fall being best for fuel economy, here comes that effect.

Having owned two Fusion hybrids prior to my two Edges, I've pretty much been "whipped into" economical driving, with the techniques & habits which that entails; having said that, if I'm running a little behind when leaving for work, I may go 78 with the Driver Assist stuff active, but then I"m inclined to take the nighttime return trip at 65.  Seems that the EPA has been quite accurate for me.  Only 87 octane so far, but I'll probably take the manual's clue to run 93 during summer's dog days.  Always top-tier gas, generally Mobil, & I've converted over to Mobil 1 Annual Protection full synthetic.

Edited by TomCinMI
  • Like 1

I got 18.6 according to Fuely on my last tank, computer said 19.9.  120 miles of that was highway and cruise set at 75, the rest my normal drive.  I may switch back to 87 next tank just to see what I get.  The computer on the current tank says it is at 16.3 right now, which I would like if it was not really going to be 15 by the math.  I am driving it like I normally would and gave up on trying to see what the best I could get is.  I will still keep track but I got it to drive it and enjoy it not to see what I could get mpg wise.  Just wish it was higher but oh well.  It is a lease so in 3 years I will get something else.  I have to go get some stitches out on Monday so I have to take longer drive then.  It is so strange because other then when I am getting up to speed and heavy on the gas I get in the 20's on my instant mpg. 

• Like 1

Our ST has 3300 miles with country and small town driving using 87 octane gas averages 24 to 27 no problem tank-full to tank-full, amazed at mileage!!  But then about same motor in F-150 4 x 4 will make 20 to 23.  My 15 2.0 Edge made 25 to 28.  Only problem with ST is some paint blotch issues Ford / Dealer is going to fix.

• Like 2

From the looks of all your calculations I'm thinking the computer uses a 4l gallon for its calculations instead of 3.785 that is used to calculate us mpg. I've always assumed mine used us mpg because I know it doesn't calculate imperial mpg. 

7 minutes ago, Perblue said:

From the looks of all your calculations I'm thinking the computer uses a 4l gallon for its calculations instead of 3.785 that is used to calculate us mpg. I've always assumed mine used us mpg because I know it doesn't calculate imperial mpg. 

I just switched my Fuely app to that and I doubt it since that was almost 2mpg off, over what the car says.  I am confused all around that everyone seems to be getting such better mileage by quite a margin.  I know I like to us the gas pedal but once I am to speed I stay there.  I am going to pay the few bucks more a tank and try another station for a few tanks, I did before but only like two tanks.  See what happens.  I am not going to change my driving to save a few bucks but it would be nice if the tanks lasted longer.  I feel like I am driving an old Jeep I6 or V8 with a 4 speed auto with the mileage I get.  Not a 2019 vehicle with twin turbos and an 8 speed.  They add the turbos to get better numbers with smaller engines.  Grrrr.  

27 minutes ago, jamie1073 said:

I just switched my Fuely app to that and I doubt it since that was almost 2mpg off, over what the car says.  I am confused all around that everyone seems to be getting such better mileage by quite a margin.  I know I like to us the gas pedal but once I am to speed I stay there.  I am going to pay the few bucks more a tank and try another station for a few tanks, I did before but only like two tanks.  See what happens.  I am not going to change my driving to save a few bucks but it would be nice if the tanks lasted longer.  I feel like I am driving an old Jeep I6 or V8 with a 4 speed auto with the mileage I get.  Not a 2019 vehicle with twin turbos and an 8 speed.  They add the turbos to get better numbers with smaller engines.  Grrrr.  

Holy man get off the your mileage sucks thing for just a sec. I posted that trying to explain why everyone who is calculating their own mileage is ending up lower than what the computer is saying and my quick math of what you are calculating and what I am thinking puts your mpg close to what your computer says. 

13 hours ago, Perblue said:

Holy man get off the your mileage sucks thing for just a sec. I posted that trying to explain why everyone who is calculating their own mileage is ending up lower than what the computer is saying and my quick math of what you are calculating and what I am thinking puts your mpg close to what your computer says. 

And I was responding that I do not think that is the case since it went the opposite way and was off by more.  Not to mention why would a vehicle for sale to the American market even use that calculation. 

As for my mileage this who thread is for that exact purpose.  To see what others are getting and compare.  If others were reporting they were getting 18 or 19 and I am getting 15 to 16 then ok I would be fine.  But other are getting in the low 20's which is more than 6 mpg more and I find it hard to believe that it is just my driving style.  So I said I will change station for more than a few tanks.  You idea was an idea and I checked it and I disagreed.  But I did not just blow it off and whine. And I gave my opinion that I thought that the reason for all the turbo'ed engines was to increase economy.  Because it was one of the reasons.  Also did you not know that Ford and the EPA are investigating why the calculations may be off?  Did you not read the press release from Ford themselves about the fact that the calculations they used may be wrong on some or all 2019 vehicles.  They do not specify which ones and the only one I have specifically seen mentioned was the Ranger because people noticed it. 

Not to mention my almost 30 years of filling a gas tank and never really seeing the numbers be that far off for my driving style.  Normally even my highway mileage is better than what they claim.  This is by far the first one that is not even remotely close.  I have had cars that were rated at 31mpg on the highway and got 33 on a regular basis when traveling through the state of PA none the less which is full of really big hills.  Like I said I will just move on after the lease is up.  I would trade it now but in the end I would not really save any money due to the loss I would take. 

I meant it would bring your calculations up to what the computer shows for the tank not what others are getting, but whatever you are right. Can't have a discussion without you repeating the same thing. I'll do you a favour and avoid your posts in the future.

5 hours ago, Perblue said:

I meant it would bring your calculations up to what the computer shows for the tank not what others are getting, but whatever you are right. Can't have a discussion without you repeating the same thing. I'll do you a favour and avoid your posts in the future.

And I took your suggestion.  The app calculated the change for me, or should I say displayed the numbers.  They were 2mpg over the cars computer measurement, so they went up 3.4mpg from the other setting.  And for what it is worth that is part of the point of the thread, one why is the computer off in the + side and is anyone else getting crap mileage.  Last fill up was today and the app said I got 14.9.  The reason I mentioned the information in the post you quoted was because this is still an unaccepible level, I believe it should be a few mpg's higher at least.  Yeah I know I floor it a bit but the majority is cruising speed so it should outweigh the negative impact of getting to speed quickly.  It seems to me that by other posts people are getting considerably better mileage than I am.  My dealer seems to not care and my next step would be to actually have to call Ford to complain since I can't seem to find an actual online form to just fill out.  So my only option is to go online and post in a forum to see what other get so here we are.  I merely update my mileage and may comment that I can not believe it is so crappy, because I keep hoping it will improve for some strange reason.  The vehicle now has 4500 miles on it so I keep hoping it will improve.  So today I got gas from a totally different station, Sunoco this time.  I will see if by chance it is the darn gas.  If it still is bad I will switch back to 87 octane since I seemed to get better numbers with that for whatever reason.  Today my trans was shifting crappy again, after the TSB was performed, like it was shifting two gears at once(trying to skip one but still hitting it).  It did it three times under about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.  Another reason I ask about the mileage, maybe there is something wrong with this one like something dragging or hung up. 

You have to admit that the mileage is low compared to others in this thread. 

48 minutes ago, Fingernip said:

Have you gone to the dealer yet? I would bet it also isn’t making the power it should.  What is the peak boost you have seen?

I have and they basically said they have not heard anything and that mine is the only one they have sold so far.  Which I knew already since neither dealer seems to have sold one yet, other than mine which they dealer traded for.  I constantly make 15-17psi just fine, I have hit 19 here and there when the weather was warmer and the conditions right.  In all honestly this thing would be even more of a beast if they did not limit boost in 1st and 2nd which they seem to do.  But power delivery seems spot on and I even clocked it doing 0-60 in 5.81 seconds according to the Car Scanner App on my iPhone.  I mean the lets floor it all dayness has worn off and I am driving it more like a normal person who likes to get up to speed as fast as possible so I do expect lower numbers.  But boost seems fine to me.  Having never driven a Sport or any other 2.7 TT it seems great, even quicker than the FoST was tuned.  Not as fun of course letting it shift on its own and all.  I am going to try the closer dealer though to see what they say.  I only took it to the place I bought it from since my dad works there, I got D plan pricing on it.  I am normally happy with my vehicle purchases and this one has my frustrated since it is not quite what I expected.  I really love to drive and even though it is not the money that bothers me it is the fact that the tank just does not last what I thought it would or even as long as the FoST tank did, and that was only 11 gallons.  I just finally started driving it and trying to not let it bother me so I could finally enjoy the car, which I do love every other aspect of it.  Anyway if I get to the other dealer soon and they say something I will post.  I am not sure my dealer even checked in the Ford system to see if there was any information about them.  They just shrugged and said it is a V-6 thing. 

• Like 1

I've tracked my mileage in Fuelly since purchase at 3 miles. So far my best tank was 20.05mpg. Lowest was 18.32mpg. I am currently at 2200 Miles. I have always ran Premium gas in it so far, Except for one tank I did 87 no ethanol which gave no change in MPG, but the car didn't seem as peppy on the throttle. 

Fuelly shows my average at 18.9 and the car shows 20.2. 

Normally I will reset trip A with each fillup, and its usually 1mpg higher average than what fuelly reports. 

• Like 1