Jump to content
Ford Edge Forum
jamie1073

Edge ST MPG

Recommended Posts

What are you guys/gals getting for MPG?  Mine is pretty much 16.4 on the computer and I reset it when I got it, has 830 miles on it and got it with 200.  16.8 from new according to the Trip 1 gauge.  I do remote start it almost daily and let it run a few minutes because I live in the frozen tundra of Upstate NY, Watertown.  But still I expected a tad better.  I am not hammering on it but running it nice then a few times with some gusto during breakin.  I even had the cruise set at 75 on the highways and on a flat was the only time the instant hit over 20 and that was not much over 20, maybe 22-23ish.  Most of the time it was at 20 or under on a relatively mild road, mostly flat with slight up and downs.  Engine was fully warmed up.  I know winter gas drops it a hair but my 1998 Jeep GV V-8 seemed to get better mileage and I beat on that.  Is it just because low miles, I do mostly mixed driving some 65 and some 40 and normally only 10 minutes at a time since that is what it takes to get to work.  I just expected closer to the city rating of 19.  My Focus ST that I had two pedal modes, floored and idle, got 23 MPG and that was driven the same and I drove it like I was running from the cops.

 

Thanks.  If it has been covered I am sorry, I only checked for posts in here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't recall seeing any information regarding the EDGE ST but I believe the general consensus is that MPG will vary and will settle into the normal range after the break-in period. I do also wonder if you have reset the Gauge. I reset the MPG gauge every fill-up on my 2012 Ecoboost. I also would say that taking and calculating the mileage my hand by taking miles driven over amount of gas put in is a much more accurate calculation. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamie1073 said:

What are you guys/gals getting for MPG?  Mine is pretty much 16.4 on the computer and I reset it when I got it, has 830 miles on it and got it with 200.  16.8 from new according to the Trip 1 gauge.  I do remote start it almost daily and let it run a few minutes because I live in the frozen tundra of Upstate NY, Watertown.  But still I expected a tad better.  I am not hammering on it but running it nice then a few times with some gusto during breakin.  I even had the cruise set at 75 on the highways and on a flat was the only time the instant hit over 20 and that was not much over 20, maybe 22-23ish.  Most of the time it was at 20 or under on a relatively mild road, mostly flat with slight up and downs.  Engine was fully warmed up.  I know winter gas drops it a hair but my 1998 Jeep GV V-8 seemed to get better mileage and I beat on that.  Is it just because low miles, I do mostly mixed driving some 65 and some 40 and normally only 10 minutes at a time since that is what it takes to get to work.  I just expected closer to the city rating of 19.  My Focus ST that I had two pedal modes, floored and idle, got 23 MPG and that was driven the same and I drove it like I was running from the cops.

 

Thanks.  If it has been covered I am sorry, I only checked for posts in here. 

 

I don't have an ST, but have the Sport & also live in Upstate NY (little north of Albany). The idling will definitely hurt your MPGs, but will depending how long its warming for. I do know new cars tend to get worse gas mileage and will increase a bit as the car breaks in. While your 2.7 has a bit different tuning than mine and the ability to disconnect the rear wheels completely, I'm betting gas mileage will be darn similar. I track my fuel economy using a phone app. 

 

Through the couple months I've owned the Edge, here is what I'm getting.***One note I've been using 93 octane for every fill up except 1 or 2 which I used ethanol free 91 octane. I dind't see much of an improvement/change with the 91, so I went back to 93. After 2133 miles, I'm average 19.5 MPG. This differs quite a bit from what my trip computer says. I have not reset over the 2133 miles and it's showing closer to 21 mpg. Have you tried calculating your MPG manually, definitely possible your trip computer is not accurate. Like the poster above, manually is your best bet for accurate figures.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually 20 or just below. The moment I have 1 or 2 hard accelerations, it is mid 19s. 

 

I've tried different octane levels (87 up to 93) without noticeable MPG.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, RyanGlenn said:

 

I don't have an ST, but have the Sport & also live in Upstate NY (little north of Albany). The idling will definitely hurt your MPGs, but will depending how long its warming for. I do know new cars tend to get worse gas mileage and will increase a bit as the car breaks in. While your 2.7 has a bit different tuning than mine and the ability to disconnect the rear wheels completely, I'm betting gas mileage will be darn similar. I track my fuel economy using a phone app. 

 

Through the couple months I've owned the Edge, here is what I'm getting.***One note I've been using 93 octane for every fill up except 1 or 2 which I used ethanol free 91 octane. I dind't see much of an improvement/change with the 91, so I went back to 93. After 2133 miles, I'm average 19.5 MPG. This differs quite a bit from what my trip computer says. I have not reset over the 2133 miles and it's showing closer to 21 mpg. Have you tried calculating your MPG manually, definitely possible your trip computer is not accurate. Like the poster above, manually is your best bet for accurate figures.

 

14 minutes ago, RyanGlenn said:

Since I have only filled up like 4 times I have not calculated yet since I have also lazy.  I was just wondering what others may be getting.  I do know that idling it for warmup is of course not helping and I am not all that concerned but was curious as to why it was so crappy.  It is a bad time to really check I guess since it winter.  I am trying my hardest not to drive it like my Focus ST after I tuned it and mileage dropped to 22 due to my lead foot.  I just liked the idea of an 18.5 gallon tank lasting longer than my 11.5 did even if I got ~18 MPG.  Lol!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, tamugrad2013 said:

I don't recall seeing any information regarding the EDGE ST but I believe the general consensus is that MPG will vary and will settle into the normal range after the break-in period. I do also wonder if you have reset the Gauge. I reset the MPG gauge every fill-up on my 2012 Ecoboost. I also would say that taking and calculating the mileage my hand by taking miles driven over amount of gas put in is a much more accurate calculation. 

 

 

Yeah I know I reset the main gauge then there are also the two Trip ones.  They all read different now.  I am lazy so before I start running numbers I figured I would ask and see what others may be seeing.  I am going to see what Apps are out there for the phone, instead of just noting all my mileages in a note or something.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, jamie1073 said:

Yeah I know I reset the main gauge then there are also the two Trip ones.  They all read different now.  I am lazy so before I start running numbers I figured I would ask and see what others may be seeing.  I am going to see what Apps are out there for the phone, instead of just noting all my mileages in a note or something.  Thanks.

I use a free app called Fuelly. Pretty basic, but you input mileage in, how many gals and cost and will track your progress as you fill up each time. Pretty neat app if you're into tracking those sorts of things (I'm a data guy so I live for this stuff lol). 

 

Congrats on the ST, I'm jealous! Hope you're enjoying it for the most part.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t see close to advertised mileage on any of my new cars until at least 1200 miles. I’m at 400 miles and get around 16mpg all city driving. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RyanGlenn said:

I use a free app called Fuelly. Pretty basic, but you input mileage in, how many gals and cost and will track your progress as you fill up each time. Pretty neat app if you're into tracking those sorts of things (I'm a data guy so I live for this stuff lol). 

 

Congrats on the ST, I'm jealous! Hope you're enjoying it for the most part.

 

 

Thanks for the App tip.  I normally do not really care, just was hoping the tank would last a full week instead of like 5-6 days.  The tiny one in the Focus at least lasted a week.  ?

 

Oh and I love the ST so far. 

 

I will see what the app says.  My problem will be remembering to use it.  Lol. I normally keep my phone in my pocket when in the car so I will have to try and remember to put the numbers in.  I am sure it will get better once broken in and has a few thousand miles on it.  I do not remember how long the Focus took.  I just remember the numbers dropping once I got the tune on it.  But I was pushing it hard and having fun at that time.  It was a fun little car, had the 91 and 93 Stratified tune, FMIC, RMM, Adjustable BPV, and symposer delete.   Was ok in the snow with snows on it but boring for basically 4-5 months of the year with no traction. 

Edited by jamie1073

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been averaging 22mpg and that's 60% city driving. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been getting about 22-24 so far. Obviously on two lane roads at about 60 mph it's real happy and will get about 24. On the expressway with cruise on 75+ it will get closer to 22.  Just did 200+ miles from SE Michigan to Traverse City (never got above 0 degrees) and the ST got 20.5 mpg. Probably do better in the warmer weather. Did a little comparison of regular vs premium gas and didn't see much difference in mpg. Again the car is pretty new (3000 miles) and it has been cold here in Michigan.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm running premium. 

 

In city, lots of 4 way uncontrolled intersections and warming up with it being winter, I get about 13 mpg. 

 

Only highway trip I've done so far was 200 miles, with it snowing fluctuating speed between 50 to 60 mph I got 26 mpg. Really happy with that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. 

 

So far I am still getting around 16 but it is cold and I have been letting it warm up most mornings.  I forgot to fill out the fuel app I downloaded last fill up so I will try and keep tack that way.  Just broke 1000 miles.  Most of my driving is highway then city but there are stops and go's accelerating to 60.  Hope it gets up somewhere near 19 and I would be happier.  Still love it though. 

Edited by jamie1073

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just under 1500 miles, averaging a bit over 18 with mainly city driving and some warm ups in the very cold. Respectable IMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well first question is what octane gas are you running. Because the higher the octane the better mpg you will get. Also if someone wants a boost in mpg and performance our tune works great on these new edge ST's. We have a 91 octane and a 93 octane tune that should see a 2-4 mpg increase in fuel economy of course if you don't floor it all the time from the extra horsepower and torque increase. My name is Jake message me or call me with any questions. Thanks 313-561-5500

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP631155

ex_q90_w680_h_MyCalibrator-Touch-Right.j

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Livernois Motorsports said:

Well first question is what octane gas are you running. Because the higher the octane the better mpg you will get. Also if someone wants a boost in mpg and performance our tune works great on these new edge ST's. We have a 91 octane and a 93 octane tune that should see a 2-4 mpg increase in fuel economy of course if you don't floor it all the time from the extra horsepower and torque increase. My name is Jake message me or call me with any questions. Thanks 313-561-5500

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP631155

ex_q90_w680_h_MyCalibrator-Touch-Right.j

 

I had a Focus ST with both a 91 and 93 tune on it and MPG increase was not anywhere in the cards with that.  The fact that I floored it more did not help at all. 

 

I am, running 87 in the Edge right now since it is winter in Northern NY so there is not a lot of need for whatever the difference is in power running 93 right now.  But I was wondering more about your tune and asked in the thread about it what kind of boost you are pushing.  Coming from a Focus I was hitting consistantly 23 to 23.8 psi on 93 and on the 91 tune I was hitting 22-22.8, both peak in 4th gear at around 100 MPH.  Normally would hit 21-22 regularly on either tune.  Stock would hit peak around 19 on the gauge, did not have the Access Port to see the exact values. I find the gauge bounces a lit compared to the stock Focus boost.  That may be just the nature of the beast with an Auto Trans instead of a manual though.  I just would like that set you back a little and pull feeling that I am sure it would do if the wastegate's did not vary boost all over the place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That and torque management but just heads up there is still advantages to running the higher octane. Besides power it does get better fuel efficiency. Also these DI engines get build up on back of intake valves and the higher the octane the cleaner it will burn. So on a motor that is port injected it would spray fuel through the valve keeping them cleaner. Now it is direct injection and only air passes through valve which leads to carbon build up. So we still suggest running higher octane fuel. And yes some people drive harder with a tune so gas mileage goes out the window.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Livernois Motorsports said:

That and torque management but just heads up there is still advantages to running the higher octane. Besides power it does get better fuel efficiency. Also these DI engines get build up on back of intake valves and the higher the octane the cleaner it will burn. So on a motor that is port injected it would spray fuel through the valve keeping them cleaner. Now it is direct injection and only air passes through valve which leads to carbon build up. So we still suggest running higher octane fuel. And yes some people drive harder with a tune so gas mileage goes out the window.

You still haven't replied on how much boost your tune is making. I believe this was the 3rd time asked

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, diesel97 said:

You still haven't replied on how much boost your tune is making. I believe this was the 3rd time asked

 

 

I know right.  Even Cobb tells what their OTS tunes run boost wise.  I mean if they are getting the gains shown I can surmise that boost is either increased or holding on longer and not dropping off to hit the Torque targets Ford has set in the stock maps.  You can see by the gauge, if it is accurate, that boost hits then drops as the wastegate opens to control it and keep the power in the range Ford wants it in.  I also assume that they do not get full boost on the stock tune in probably the first 2 gears, if it is anything like the Focus and Fiesta ST's and the RS.  No since in spinning the tires for no reason.  I am curious if the tune allows increased boost in those gears and if I could say I wanted it when getting the tune.  I had a tune on the Focus that could limit boost in 2nd so you did not roast the tires all the time, I did not chose it on my tunes.  I am curious, I know this is probably not the place to spill it all but they could put that info on their site.  If I am going to spend the money I would like to know what I am getting .  ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just to throw some variation into it. 15 Edge Sport, tuned for last 40k miles. I get 20mpg, my wife gets 23mpg, island driving in Honolulu/Waikiki traffic. Edge has never seen anything but premium fuel since initial dealership tank

Edited by Nick Halstead
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My apologies for leaving that info out. Actually the boost will fluctuate depending on the torque goal. So it can produce less then stock boost and sometimes more then stock boost. As you know ecoboost engines have a torque goal and will produce whatever pound of boost needed to hit that goal depending on what power we are requesting. But yes on average you should see couple extra pounds of boost over stock. Thanks 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

just to throw some variation into it. 15 Edge Sport, tuned for last 40k miles. I get 20mpg, my wife gets 23mpg, island driving in Honolulu/Waikiki traffic. Edge has never seen anything but premium fuel since initial dealership tank

 

Thank you. I only have 1500 miles on it now and I planned on trying 93 once the weather was nicer.  I also have an app on my phone to plug the fillups in, just need to remember to enter them.  Lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Livernois Motorsports said:

My apologies for leaving that info out. Actually the boost will fluctuate depending on the torque goal. So it can produce less then stock boost and sometimes more then stock boost. As you know ecoboost engines have a torque goal and will produce whatever pound of boost needed to hit that goal depending on what power we are requesting. But yes on average you should see couple extra pounds of boost over stock. Thanks 

 

Thanks.  And I figured you of course still set torque targets just like stock but higher. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Livernois Motorsports said:

Yes we are for sure getting more torque. 25ft/lbs max vs max and between 4-5000 rpms we are seeing about 60ft/lbs over stock. 

 

I saw that,  I was not really expecting the 70+ ft/lbs the 2.0 gets.  Lol! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×