New Edge ST Owner

Rimcrim

As the title states, I am the proud new owner of a 2019 Ford Edge ST!

I originally had a 2017 Edge Sport that was written off 6 weeks after I bought it.

Another driver smashed into the back of it while it was parked on a side street and thankfully caused enough damage to write it off, instead of me having a brand new Edge with $20k+ in damage.

I placed the order for the ST back in July 2018 and it finally got here last week.

I got it in Agate Black with the 401A Package, Cold Weather Package and 21" Wheel upgrade, but sadly Canada does not have the option to get the Performance Brake package.

So far I have done the following to it:

• Installed JLT Oil Catch Can
  • Installed AEM Air Filter
  • Removed Rear 'Edge' and 'ST' emblems (debadged)
  • Plasti-Dipped the front Ford emblem
  • Added Black Licence Plate frames

I will be adding a Dash Cam and Radar Detector soon, and will be blacking out the rear ford emblem too.

Eventually I will be looking to get a tune and some other breathing mods once they become available, such as exhaust, CAI and maybe downpipe.

Attached some preliminary pictures below.

IMG_7671.thumb.jpg.28aa2b7a35a989820f855e82f7f99957.jpg

IMG_7676.thumb.jpg.9b45129e9f4d98be35610c84e4fa5270.jpg

IMG_7677.thumb.jpg.a974a8887f1133cf402b53c97f7ef4ab.jpg

• Like 4

I am curious about your adaptive LED's myself.  I had a Focus ST with Adaptive Bi-Xenons.  The projector on those moved left to right when in Auto mode and of course dark out, with the steering.  But some on here assume the LED ones will be more like say an Audi where there are other LED's that light up to light the left and right portion of the road.  So I am wondering if yours steer left and right at night, swivel, since no ones seems to know. 

And of course Welcome!

1 hour ago, jamie1073 said:

I am curious about your adaptive LED's myself.  I had a Focus ST with Adaptive Bi-Xenons.  The projector on those moved left to right when in Auto mode and of course dark out, with the steering.  But some on here assume the LED ones will be more like say an Audi where there are other LED's that light up to light the left and right portion of the road.  So I am wondering if yours steer left and right at night, swivel, since no ones seems to know. 

And of course Welcome!

Ford's adaptive LEDs work like the Audi version.  There is no reason to move the LED assemblies.  What isn't 100% clear is whether Ford's adaptive LEDs are truly adaptive or not (in North America).  Since they don't move it's hard to tell for sure.

My dealer is still looking into it for me because mine don't even move left and right, hence not test pattern on startup, but the manual, ford site and order guide says adaptive of some form is supposed to be there, unlike the US site. Dealer says mine was definitely not built with it but won't say if it should have it or not but are working on it whatever that means lol. 

27 minutes ago, akirby said:

Ford's adaptive LEDs work like the Audi version.  There is no reason to move the LED assemblies.  What isn't 100% clear is whether Ford's adaptive LEDs are truly adaptive or not (in North America).  Since they don't move it's hard to tell for sure.

I wonder why they did not just keep the same system they used in the ST and RS with the projectors moving.  Seems like less tech involved to serve the same purpose. Either way as much as I liked the way they worked in the Focus they really were only great in front of the car and did not cover the sides of the road as good as normal HID lights.  The Edge LED's cover more on the sides of the road.  They were cool but that was about it.  

1 hour ago, akirby said:

This is where the confusion lies is the manual says that the headlights should track left to right on startup. I have yet to see that happen. So am curious if this happens on others. It could very well be the projectors themselves don't move but you should still see the test on startup. 

2 hours ago, akirby said:

I believe the issue is from the Edge also being offered in Europe with different configurations. The 2015-2018 in EU they have optional adaptive LED headlights also optional Glare-Free High beams that dim only the parts towards incoming traffic. So the Owners Manual has a lot of mistakes. Like for 2015-2018 Sports it mentions a different battery than what is actually used. 

I know Canada now recently allows the use of adaptive headlights, but we didn't used to.

As far as I know it's not allowed in the US right now, but the Canadian manual does state that we have Adaptive headlights. Maybe FORSCAN can enable if its just disabled for some reason?

20 minutes ago, Rimcrim said:

I know Canada now recently allows the use of adaptive headlights, but we didn't used to.

As far as I know it's not allowed in the US right now, but the Canadian manual does state that we have Adaptive headlights. Maybe FORSCAN can enable if its just disabled for some reason?

See that's the thing.  The VW GTI and the Focus ST and RS have had adaptive headlights for a few years now.  Mine was a 2016 and had them.  The confusion lies with how the Edge has implemented them and if they work.  If they are the swivel kind then when the lights are in Auto mode and you are in the dark or in say a garage that is dark enough and start the car you would see the lights track left to right and center.  This is a quick process that only takes a few seconds.  I have not seen how these ones in the Audi work, but they seem to have multiple LED's in a row in their lights in a matrix.  The Edge does not have this setup in its headlights.  And of all the Edge ST's I have seen, with the exception of mine, they all had 401a package and just projectors like my 400a package does.  But the window sticker said in the package details that they had adaptive headlights.  So a true test is to get in a garage with the front facing the wall and fire it up and see what happens.  Or just driver down any dark road and turn the wheels back and forth while moving and the lights would track with the wheels if you have them.  It is very noticeable as you can see the lights move. 

extract from owner's Manual page 82:

ADAPTIVE HEADLAMPS (IF EQUIPPED):

The headlamp beams move in the same direction as the steering wheel. This provides more visibility when driving around curves.

The system only works with the lighting control in the autolamp position. You can switch this feature on or off in the information display (page 105)

There are two kinds of adaptive headlamps.

Adaptive HIDs are the ones that swivel on startup.  I have them on my 2016 MKX.  They use projectors.

On the Edge all lights are LED.  Bi-LED high/low beam are standard.  Titanium 301a and ST 401a supposedly get Adaptive LEDs according to the order guide.

As far as I know, none of the Ford LED headlamps use projectors.   For the adaptive LEDs they turn LEDs on and off to provide light to the left or right when turning.   However, since there is no projector to swivel at startup it's difficult to tell if it actually works or not.   This is similar to what Audi does but a much much simpler version only providing extra illumination to the right or left when turning.

Ford has a more sophisticated setup in Europe using movable spotlights instead of fog lights but I think those are still illegal in the US (as is Audi's full matrix system).

2 hours ago, Perblue said:

I have only an option to turn off auto highbeam that is all

Not a great pic but looks like a projector to me. 

20190201_140208.jpg

The bottom of my headlights do not have that LED looking strip that you have.  Just the top DRL Strip.  So I would assume that is it. 

And I also have projector lenses, they look like the projectors on my moms MKC and my dads Escape as well as similar to the ones on my Focus ST.  There are definitely projectors on the Edge.

1 hour ago, jamie1073 said:

The bottom of my headlights do not have that LED looking strip that you have.  Just the top DRL Strip.  So I would assume that is it. 

That is the LED turn signal that comes with the 401A package. 

Sorry for hijacking post should have started a new one. My dealer found some confirmed in Canada that move and some that don't and confirmed that mine in fact don't so the hunt goes on. 

Ford uses a LED Projector on the ST. thankfully they finally ditched the Reflective Housing LEDs the f150 had. American LED is trash though, washington needs to hurry up and get it together. Audi is waiting on them to approve Matrix in the USA. The Q8 has Matrix headlights but they are "turned off" and when washington approves the use of Matrix, it's free to go get them coded on at the dealership. 

Edited by Nick Halstead
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Rimcrim said:

That is strange - From reading the manual there should be a setting to turn the Adaptive LEDs On/Off.

I will check to see if I have this option and if mine move on startup, but I somehow think they won't.

Just took delivery of my ST last night and checked the left IPC menu and can not find any menu options to turn on/off the adaptive lights.

15 minutes ago, ONEDGE16 said:

Just took delivery of my ST last night and checked the left IPC menu and can not find any menu options to turn on/off the adaptive lights.

They claim from all the dealers that other than turning off the auto setting on your lights there is no other way to turn it off, despite what the manual says. So they should still do a left to right movement once the headlights come on at night. It's apparently easier to notice if you are parked at least 5 feet from something.