Two-piece Lug Nuts design flaw

1004ron

16 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

Seen in YouTube video where mechanic used a either 14.5mm or 15.5mm, 1/2" drive sockets on chrome-capped nuts. Worked perfectly. Think Amazon carries  them

Not sure what to make of this - are you referring to the stud size?

I use a 21mm six-sided deep socket and my original style lug nuts are in perfect condition - not long ago Discount Tire installed a tires and unlike my local Ford dealership they did not use an impact wrench to remove or tighten the lug nuts.

For our 21mm capped lugs, they sell a variety of half mm sizes, like 21.5mm/22mm/22.5mm (if the cap is still on but distorted), and 18.5mm I think fits if the cap is completely off.

In my environment I should be just fine with these capped lug nuts (my 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII has them) with basically unlimited ability to easily remove them and install them. Until either a LOF "tech" does a NASCAR pitstop style rotation, can't be bothered to fully engage the lug, or has a crappy socket, and they they are screwed. I got 9 tire rotations out of the QuickLane (LOF side of Ford dealerships) with no problems, lugs in perfect condition and the OEM lug wrench worked fine. Get tires at Costco and they fully chewed up 5 lugs, another 10 were basically garbage and I needed 19.5mm to get them off (2017 Escape smaller lug hex), so I always get solid lugs and replace them when it is easy and convenient, not with a flat at 2 am in the rain on a dirt road.

• 6 months later...

When I got new tires on my 2016, the shop wouldn't install the old lugs saying too many were too damaged. Now I have a 2020 and wondering if Ford has replaced the chrome cap style lugs. (I suppose I could walk out to the garage and look for myself, but I'm doing this right now.)