Two-piece Lug Nuts design flaw

1004ron

Up until now the only place that has removed my wheels, is my Ford dealership doing tire rotations during "The Works" oil change services.

Today when I rotated wheels at home I found signs that the two-piece lug nuts were damaged by the use of an impact wrench, and the 21mm 6-point socket would not go on three of the lug nuts.

In addition almost every lug nut recess on my wheels has been chipped badly, obviously also due to the use of a high speed air impact tool.

I've heard of Ford recalling some of these two-piece lug nuts, and the warning not to use impact wrenches, ........... so WTF does my Ford Dealership do it?

If I'd have needed to use my emergency spare wheel somewhere on the open road, and it was one of the three wheels with bad lug nuts, I'd be stranded because the emergency lug wrench cannot be used on these.

IMG_4091.thumb.JPG.adf3e584b089aba433d42014f3526373.JPG

IMG_4090.JPG

There is a TSB telling the tech to use a half size larger socket to remove them but you are suppose to use impacts also we have a tool called a torque stick with what they use for them . 

Not sure if that's a typo regarding the use of impacts.

Service manager has order a new set of lugs.

I had to buy a new set of lugs for my wife's 2015 Mustang as we're the second owners and its well past warranty at 50K mi.

Edited by 1004ron

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, lildisco said:

My Mom's 2012 Fusion & our '16 Edge had these issues. Found a different lug nut set on ebay/Amazon & haven't looked back. 

I used a torque stick & they still messed up. What a way to continue to get money from people. 

If an impact wrench is used, a Torque Stick will not protect these lug nuts.

Understand, but didn't have any issues with my mom's 04 explorer, my 03 focus, my 08 cx7, my mother in laws 09 cx9.

Her 2012 Fusion was only worked on at a dealer until it was out of warranty & that's when i noticed that about 75% of her lugs were destroyed. Naturally, the Ford dealer didn't admit any fault & refused to replace destroyed lug nuts & wanted full price for replacement lugs. 1 of the many reasons i don't dealers. 

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Timmah said:

I bought Dodge Ram lug nuts on eBay, $30. They work great and are one piece. they are a 22mm socket and not a 21mm

Much cheaper than talking to a dealer about warranty

Thanks for that.

I'll save that on eBay for the time that I need replacements.

I bought a 2015 Mustang for my wife, and soon after took it for new tires, and had to fork out $45 for the cheapest lug nuts they had, black spline type which have already started corroding, so will look at a set of those Dodge Ram nuts for her car.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Pc-2012-2018-DODGE-RAM-1500-BLACK-OEM-TYPE-SOLID-LUG-NUTS-14x1-50-1709DBK/272485582375?hash=item3f71680627:g:EtoAAOSwa~BYbnBj:sc:USPSPriorityMailSmallFlatRateBox!40241!US!-1

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

Well it looks like I will be replacing most of my lug nuts on my 2016 Edge.  I have done all of my own tires rotation for the past 5 years and managed to only bugger up 2 nuts.  I am using a Sunex flip lug nut set, which I recommend.

The stock/OEM lug nuts require a 21mm socket.  I know that some of the aftermarket use 22mm.  A 7/8" socket will fit an OEM lug nut (7/8" = 0.875" ; 22mm = 0.866" ; 21mm =  0.826"), but I guarantee they will mess up the chrome cap !

Now here is the crazy thing  !  The Edge lug nuts (ACPZ-1012-M) and the F150 lug nut (ACPZ-1012-B) look almost identical.  Same threads, same socket

Edge  F150

But $4.18 vs $0.90

Edited by theoldwizard1

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it depends on the F150 wheels, but I thought most F150s used the large seat like the Edge lugnuts on the left.

I picked up some Gorilla 61148CX to use when my factory Edge lugnut's caps start rusting and falling off.  They are little taller and stick out past the wheel a bit more.

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/lug-nuts-page-09

24 pack

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334151861559?epid=1433548720&hash=item4dcd00c537:g:5zIAAOSwe31hRNk6

20 pack

https://www.ebay.com/itm/181391077645?epid=622863125&hash=item2a3bc0310d:g:rJ0AAOSw77RiYbgl

On 5/3/2022 at 8:50 AM, chipdog4 said:

I guess it depends on the F150 wheels, but I thought most F150s used the large seat like the Edge lugnuts on the left.

The "seat"  ( cone shaped taper at the bottom) is an "industry standard" 60° on both.  I am not sure why the F150 lug nuts have that extra 1/4" - 1/2" on material above that.

I was charged for replacing 3 lug nuts because they could not be reused.  When I got home, I discovered that more lugs nuts were damaged to the point that the socket that came with the car could not be used.

The dealer agreed to replace 4 additional lug nuts at no charge.

Edited by theoldwizard1

The shinny outer shell is aluminum, and the dealerships use a pneumatic impact wrench to remove and install the lug nuts, which distorts and stretches the aluminum.

My dealership using this method also chipped my wheels - as the lug nuts come off the sockets swings around a hammers the wheels.

When I confronted the dealership about the swollen lug nuts and damage to my wheels, he responded that they use torque sticks - well that only helps not to over torque the nuts, the impact action still destroys the soft aluminum shell.

He ordered a full set at no cost to me.

BTW, there is existing threads on this topic.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/20/2022 at 7:55 PM, theoldwizard1 said:

Well it looks like I will be replacing most of my lug nuts on my 2016 Edge.  I have done all of my own tires rotation for the past 5 years and managed to only bugger up 2 nuts.  I am using a Sunex flip lug nut set, which I recommend.

If you're looking for a quality lug nut set, I recommend checking out wheelssize.com. They have a great selection of lug nuts to choose from, and they're sure to have something that will fit your needs.

Edited by 1004ron

I recently found that there is a Ford Performance part (M-1012-M - link) that includes 5 lug nuts for the Mustang (which has the same lug nuts as the 2015+ Edge) for a retail price of USD 15. Searching online I find it for even less (eBay listing for 4 sets - Levittown Ford Parts). Making each lug cost nearly half as much as buying them individually. I ordered the set from the eBay listing and will update once received & installed to confirm. I had previously installed black lug nuts from Veritek (link to thread about them) however they quickly started to show rust after a few wheel removals/installations.

• Like 1

Help....What size hex socket fits on the bare wheel nut? I managed to rip out one of my messed up chrome caps (basically cut it up into little pieces, still some left in there but I think enough to get a deep socket on) to expose the steel wheel  nut, but nothing I have seems to fit. Is it 20mm?

41 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

Help....What size hex socket fits on the bare wheel nut? I managed to rip out one of my messed up chrome caps (basically cut it up into little pieces, still some left in there but I think enough to get a deep socket on) to expose the steel wheel  nut, but nothing I have seems to fit. Is it 20mm?

It's 21mm with the aluminum skin, so estimate it around 18 or 19mm without the skin.

4 hours ago, ChrisW said:

probably about a 20mm, but not sure. 

19mm = 3/4" (effectively) so if 19 is too small and 20mm is too big, you could try 13/16" or 7/8"

On 8/11/2022 at 7:23 AM, omar302 said:

I recently found that there is a Ford Performance part (M-1012-M - link) that includes 5 lug nuts for the Mustang (which has the same lug nuts as the 2015+ Edge) for a retail price of USD 15. Searching online I find it for even less (eBay listing for 4 sets - Levittown Ford Parts). Making each lug cost nearly half as much as buying them individually. I ordered the set from the eBay listing and will update once received & installed to confirm.

Follow up, I just received my order and I can confirm they are the same lug nuts for the Ford Edge. So if you need a set of 5 or more OEM lug nuts, buy the Ford Performance part M-1012-M.

Screenshot_2022-08-15-20-37-47-83_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
On 8/15/2022 at 1:23 PM, omar302 said:

Follow up, I just received my order and I can confirm they are the same lug nuts for the Ford Edge. So if you need a set of 5 or more OEM lug nuts, buy the Ford Performance part M-1012-M.

dont these have an overcap too?

Edited by 1004ron