Issues: Auto Start / Stop and Slow Warmup

rally2xs

Wonder if others have noticed, on Edge ST:

Takes 9 miles of driving to get temp up to the 1/2 of the gauge level where it then stops rising.   Seems excessive.

My Auto Start / Stop has ceased to function.  Have 700-ish miles on it.   The outside temp is around 35.   Don't know if that is "moderate ambient temperature" as required by auto start / stop or not.   If not, that's like saying "It doesn't work in the winter."

Anyone?

I've never paid attention. All I've notice is it gets the interior warmer and keeps me warmer than my 13 ever did even at - 30.

As for the auto stop start. There are numerous factors on if it cuts in like engine temp, interior temp and how firm you press the brake peddle(if you always are soft braking and barely pressing it to come to a stop it won't cut in). 

9 miles sounds fine for full warmup.  I had a Focus ST that took over 30 minutes of driving until the engine oil temp was all the way to the full warmup phase.  Sure it was warm enough to drive hard but after a while rising it slowed down and of course it does not help that it is cooled by the car moving.  Same with engine coolant, it start warming when the engine starts of course and keeps warming and then the thermostat opens and it starts cooling by the radiator and air flow.  So once the thermostat opens it is then being cooled by airflow and thus takes longer to get to the full temp.  But no worries as the engine is running optimally once that T-Stat opens.  Since that is the temp it should  stick around.  And in cold weather it will take a little longer to get there but it is fine. 

As for the Auto Start/Stop there are many things that decide if it shuts the engine off.  Tempo is one, brake peddle position as well(if I let pressure off the pedal the engine restarts, if I do not push down enough on the pedal after stopped to hold the car in place then it does not stop either.  Personally it irritates me so if I do not turn it off then I just don't hold the brake pedal down enough to enable it or let off to restart the engine.  But the engine needs to be up to temp and the interior close to the set temp and the brakes down enough and the outside temp to be above some preset temp.  Mine works though below 30 degrees and I have seen it at 20 degrees working as well, did today. 

5 minutes ago, vmaxbaby said:

Question about the autostop feature.  I saw a youtube video on the F150 with auto/start/stop and there is some module you can purchase and it makes it so it stops doing that?  Does such a think exist for the Edge or can a dealer turn that off? 

if you are referring to using Forscan with an OBDII reader, you're answer is in the post below:

4 hours ago, rally2xs said:

Wonder if others have noticed, on Edge ST:

Takes 9 miles of driving to get temp up to the 1/2 of the gauge level where it then stops rising.   Seems excessive.

My Auto Start / Stop has ceased to function.  Have 700-ish miles on it.   The outside temp is around 35.   Don't know if that is "moderate ambient temperature" as required by auto start / stop or not.   If not, that's like saying "It doesn't work in the winter."

Anyone?

I find that with low outside (or cabin) temp, Start/Stop doesn't 'work'. It is working just trying to get the cabin warm. I will turn off the Climate. If you are curious to the reason, use the left display screen and go to the Fuel Economy screen (last in the listing).

Here are the possible messages.

autostart.png

Thanks for all the responses, guys.   I'll not worry so much about either the warmup time nor the auto start / stop.   I actually find the auto start / stop annoying, but when something, anything is not working as it should, I want to know about it and do something about it.   Later this year the car is going on vacation to Alaska, going to visit Prudhoe Bay just as a "I was there" kinda thing, and don't want anything that's not quite right to raise problems 100 miles from anywhere, which you can achieve on the Dalton Highway - it's 240 miles from Cold Foot to Deadhorse, not going to go up there with known issues.   11,000 miles round trip from Virginia.   Should have a good time if everything mechanical and electronic cooperates.

Car gets warm enough alright, maybe melt the steering wheel if I direct the air onto it after it does get warm.   Warmup time is just quite a bit slower than last 2 cars (2019 Jeep Cherokee, 2015 Subaru WRX.)   Those cars were warm in about 2 miles.   Will wait and see about the auto start-stop, see if it comes back when the temp outside goes up.

Thanks again.

Auto Start / Stop solved.   

There is a screen accessible from the Fuel Economy selection on the menus on the left side of the dash display that is specifically for Auto Start / Stop.   When I accessed it, and stopped at a light, a message popped up that the engine was on because the power point was in use.

The power point in this case is the 110 volt power point, which I have the laptop charger plugged into.   Unplugged it, and sure enough, auto start / stop worked as it should.   

I was over to the Ford dealer and asked about the 9 mile warmup and they said that it was normal.  But of course these are the same guys that couldn't tell me how to bring up this information about the auto start / stop, too.   Sooo...  I'm not worrying about it.   Its probably OK.   Either way, Its livable.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rally2xs said:

Auto Start / Stop solved.   

There is a screen accessible from the Fuel Economy selection on the menus on the left side of the dash display that is specifically for Auto Start / Stop.   When I accessed it, and stopped at a light, a message popped up that the engine was on because the power point was in use.

The power point in this case is the 110 volt power point, which I have the laptop charger plugged into.   Unplugged it, and sure enough, auto start / stop worked as it should.   

I was over to the Ford dealer and asked about the 9 mile warmup and they said that it was normal.  But of course these are the same guys that couldn't tell me how to bring up this information about the auto start / stop, too.   Sooo...  I'm not worrying about it.   Its probably OK.   Either way, Its livable.

Until I saw this thread I thought the only thing that screen told me was that I turned it off or that the engine was running ok, until bobyellow mentioned it I never paid attention. 

As for warmup, as long as it blows heat quickly for me then I am ok.  My Focus ST seemed to take forever to warmup and blow heat compared to my fathers Escape 2.0.  Heck I would get to work, 10 minute drive, and it would just start kicking out heat on a super cold day.  It took even longer once I took out the AGS for a Depo Intercooler to fit.  Compared to the Focus this baby heats up fast.  Lol

Hey we offer a device for performance tunes but also you can shut off the auto start stop feature with it. We just have to program it for you. Besides that you would get an increase in gas economy and in power. If anyone has any questions or concerns message me or call me at 313-561-5500 my name is Jake. Thanks

ex_q80_w400_h_MyCalibrator-Touch-Right-C

On 2/17/2019 at 3:08 PM, vmaxbaby said:

Question about the autostop feature.  I saw a youtube video on the F150 with auto/start/stop and there is some module you can purchase and it makes it so it stops doing that?  Does such a think exist for the Edge or can a dealer turn that off? 

To this point, one of the You Tube fixes for the auto start/stop was to attach a trailer light test plug to the trailer light connector to turn off the auto stop. Supposedly works on some F-150s as the car reacts as if it is hooked to a trailer therefore no auto stop. Got one and tried it and it DOES NOT WORK on the Edge St. Did end up with a nice trailer light tester though.