Fingernip

Poor Trans shifting theory  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Octane used

• 87 Octane (Regular)
    • 88-90 Octane (Mid grade)
    • 91-94 Octane (High test)

40 minutes ago, handfiler said:

Try a different cable. It could be it's not passing data. If you have both apps installed on the phone and the appropriate settings toggled, Android Auto should fire right up. You do need the phone connected via a data cable. The one that comes with the phone should work though.

Yeah, tried that. I know there's cables out there with just the two charging contacts, but I throw those away if they end up in my possession so there's never any confusion.   I  have the OEM one that came with the phone (Galaxy S7), it communicates with my PC just fine, and it also communicated with my Tucson's infotainment system and Android Auto on that car using any number of OEM compatible cables I have.  I may try to re-install the Sync update, but it's definitely something on the Sync 3 side.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jombi said:

I have not yet been able to get Android Auto to work.  I updated Sync to the latest version, which claims it has Waze, etc. but none of that is available, whether I connect via USB or Bluetooth.  I can make calls and do all that stuff, but no Nav possible (I  got the sync without nav because why pay for nav when I can use my phones nav via Android  auto).

What type of phone are you using? Do you have android auto installed on your phone? It may seem like an odd or rudimentary question but I have seen some instances where if android auto is not installed it is very easy to miss the prompt to install it etc. 

11 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

What type of phone are you using? Do you have android auto installed on your phone? It may seem like an odd or rudimentary question but I have seen some instances where if android auto is not installed it is very easy to miss the prompt to install it etc. 

Yes, I made sure Android Auto and Waze were both updated on the phone as well (Galaxy S7).  The odd thing is--for a moment I did see Waze on the lower part of the car's screen next to the "apps" checkerboard icon, and Waze was on and open on the phone, and I had chosen Waze as the default nav app on the phone.  I got all the prompts on the car's screen about agreeing to data use, etc.  But tapping the Waze icon on the screen did nothing--the screen still showed the default home screen and no nav, even though I had a route in Waze on the phone and it was running (ie, I hit Go Now on Waze).      Then I tried to start over--unplugged the USB from the car (using the front USB slots--not the charging-only slots in back), and then plugged back in. Waze was now gone, and it has never come back.  But my phone starts Android Auto when I plug the USB in and it says it's connected to the Edge, but the Edge's screen acts as if nothing is there.  

Sometimes the confirmation screen will come up on the car's screen with the "Agree" button--but then disappear in the background never to be seen again--it's like if I don't click that in 1/2 second, it goes away and the subsequent prompts never come up.   So it does seem like a case where if the cable is bad and not in the exact right position for the tiny micro-USB contacts to be making contact that it fails--but in my computer I can plug it in and twist the phone around, move it, jostle it every which way *while I'm transferring data from the phone to the PC*, and it never breaks the transfer.  So I'm confident the cable is good and the microUSB port in my phone is clean and tight.  It just seems that the Sync3 is quirky with that and I don't know why.  This morning I'm going to re-install the update and see if that works.  

20 hours ago, Jombi said:

Yes, I made sure Android Auto and Waze were both updated on the phone as well (Galaxy S7).  The odd thing is--for a moment I did see Waze on the lower part of the car's screen next to the "apps" checkerboard icon, and Waze was on and open on the phone, and I had chosen Waze as the default nav app on the phone.  I got all the prompts on the car's screen about agreeing to data use, etc.  But tapping the Waze icon on the screen did nothing--the screen still showed the default home screen and no nav, even though I had a route in Waze on the phone and it was running (ie, I hit Go Now on Waze).      Then I tried to start over--unplugged the USB from the car (using the front USB slots--not the charging-only slots in back), and then plugged back in. Waze was now gone, and it has never come back.  But my phone starts Android Auto when I plug the USB in and it says it's connected to the Edge, but the Edge's screen acts as if nothing is there.  

Sometimes the confirmation screen will come up on the car's screen with the "Agree" button--but then disappear in the background never to be seen again--it's like if I don't click that in 1/2 second, it goes away and the subsequent prompts never come up.   So it does seem like a case where if the cable is bad and not in the exact right position for the tiny micro-USB contacts to be making contact that it fails--but in my computer I can plug it in and twist the phone around, move it, jostle it every which way *while I'm transferring data from the phone to the PC*, and it never breaks the transfer.  So I'm confident the cable is good and the microUSB port in my phone is clean and tight.  It just seems that the Sync3 is quirky with that and I don't know why.  This morning I'm going to re-install the update and see if that works.  

Sounds like you are doing everything right. Have you tried with your phone in USB Dubugging mode?  If not go to Settings/ about phone/ build number/ tap build number about 10 times and it will say that you are now a developer. Go into options and turn on USB debugging. Also change USB type from charging to MTP. MTP mode will allow your phone to transfer data and media.   I should have asked which OS are your running.  Its been a while since I've used Nougat. Or is it Marshmallow?  You might need to go into apps then settings.....

Try upgrading your OS as well. I think Oreo might be compatible with your phone. 

7 hours ago, aphxtwinin said:

Well, I've done it. I'm in the Edge ST. Getting used to not having some features I had in my Sport (ventilated seats, front camera/sensors, nav) but I'm enjoying the drive so far. Wish me luck! 

Congrats!. Not many of us went without the 401A package it seems. I deliberately went without it but I added every single available option without forcing it back to the 401A. I really didn't want heated rears and ventilated fronts. Now i somewhat wish I got it though since in the summers my back does get a little sweaty when driving for a long time. It saves me almost $3,000 in the end but had I just waited a few more months I probably woulda saved that anyway just negotiating price. 

Edited by Fingernip
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

Sounds like you are doing everything right. Have you tried with your phone in USB Dubugging mode?  If not go to Settings/ about phone/ build number/ tap build number about 10 times and it will say that you are now a developer. Go into options and turn on USB debugging. Also change USB type from charging to MTP. MTP mode will allow your phone to transfer data and media.   I should have asked which OS are your running.  Its been a while since I've used Nougat. Or is it Marshmallow?  You might need to go into apps then settings.....

Try upgrading your OS as well. I think Oreo might be compatible with your phone. 

Congrats!   I too went without the 401A just to keep the cost down.  The ST base trim is still well above most of the other models' "reasonably equipped" trims.  I got the big sunroof and the cold weather package.  As for the 21" wheels & brakes, if I want red calipers I can get some hi-temp paint and paint them myself and save nearly 5K!   Plus I'm old-school and still like chrome/aluminum color on my wheels, the "murdered-out" look doesn't appeal to me--when that first became popular I kept thinking it was just someone who never cleaned the brake-dust off their wheels!

Anyway, have fun!

6 hours ago, Fingernip said:

Congrats!. Not many of us went without the 401A package it seems. I deliberately went without it but I added every single available option without forcing it back to the 401A. I really didn't want heated rears and ventilated fronts. Now i somewhat wish I got it though since in the summers my back does get a little sweaty when driving for a long time. It saves me almost $3,000 in the end but had I just waited a few more months I probably woulda saved that anyway just negotiating price. 

I never felt the ventilated seats did anything for me in the sport. When I was shopping around I experienced other ventilated seats like the Mazda CX9 that actually made a difference and I felt it. So I don't think I'll be missing anything there. Plus I'm in CO so 9 months out of the year it's beautiful. 

1 hour ago, Jombi said:

Congrats!   I too went without the 401A just to keep the cost down.  The ST base trim is still well above most of the other models' "reasonably equipped" trims.  I got the big sunroof and the cold weather package.  As for the 21" wheels & brakes, if I want red calipers I can get some hi-temp paint and paint them myself and save nearly 5K!   Plus I'm old-school and still like chrome/aluminum color on my wheels, the "murdered-out" look doesn't appeal to me--when that first became popular I kept thinking it was just someone who never cleaned the brake-dust off their wheels!

Anyway, have fun!

Part of my complaints about the Sport I got back in 2016 was that it had too much tech. I never used the parking features, I never used lane alert, Nav is redundent with Car Play providing that feature. So I didn't think it would be worth it plus with a sun roof I wouldn't have enough head room. I found the perfect build with the convenience package and cold weather package. Parked next to the GT350 in our office parking lot and I gotta say we look goooooood. 

1 hour ago, aphxtwinin said:

I never felt the ventilated seats did anything for me in the sport. When I was shopping around I experienced other ventilated seats like the Mazda CX9 that actually made a difference and I felt it. So I don't think I'll be missing anything there. Plus I'm in CO so 9 months out of the year it's beautiful. 

Part of my complaints about the Sport I got back in 2016 was that it had too much tech. I never used the parking features, I never used lane alert, Nav is redundent with Car Play providing that feature. So I didn't think it would be worth it plus with a sun roof I wouldn't have enough head room. I found the perfect build with the convenience package and cold weather package. Parked next to the GT350 in our office parking lot and I gotta say we look goooooood. 

That is exactly what I thought when getting mine, minus the headroom for the roof.  I did not need all the other stuff, sure I would have liked factory 21's but not at the expense of needing an almost $6000 option pack to add the $1000 wheel package.  I lease so I am not spending money renting my vehicle for 3 years for crap I do not need and will not use.  The only thing I would have wanted off that package was the adaptive headlamps, I had them on my Focus ST, but that is really it. 

15 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

That is exactly what I thought when getting mine, minus the headroom for the roof.  I did not need all the other stuff, sure I would have liked factory 21's but not at the expense of needing an almost $6000 option pack to add the $1000 wheel package.  I lease so I am not spending money renting my vehicle for 3 years for crap I do not need and will not use.  The only thing I would have wanted off that package was the adaptive headlamps, I had them on my Focus ST, but that is really it. 

I agree. The adaptive lights would be nice but what I hear is they have a narrower beam pattern than the fixed lights. Also What I woudla have wanted is the auto dim side mirror. Other than that it has been great. I am 6'2" and I can wear a baseball cap propped on top of my head and look up without the brim hitting the roof. The sunroof seems to take away very little headroom. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fingernip said:

I agree. The adaptive lights would be nice but what I hear is they have a narrower beam pattern than the fixed lights. Also What I woudla have wanted is the auto dim side mirror. Other than that it has been great. I am 6'2" and I can wear a baseball cap propped on top of my head and look up without the brim hitting the roof. The sunroof seems to take away very little headroom. 

Yeah the first thing I noticed with the standard lights is that the beam is wider than the adaptive ones that were on the FoST.  They were  cool but not needed on the Edge since I doubt to many people will be carving the curves at high speeds at night in the Edge compare to the Focus.  It just does not handle quite the same so I am not exactly looking to do that type of driving day or night that I would do with the Focus.  I am just happy I get heated mirrors, they were not heated on the Focus which I found odd since it was a $30k car in 2016. 

Since this is a Trans thread, I just noticed that with the LMS tune and a good launch that the trans either totally skips second gear, when floored and brake boosted, or sometimes hits it for a split second before going to 3rd gear.  Which if skipped completely with the stock tune when floored this would have made it on par with the Sport 0-60 if not a split second quicker.  But alas the stock tune does not skip it and even tuned I have seen that depending on the launch it either skips or blips through it, which would slow it down a hair.   Anyways. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, looks like I've gotten hit with a transmission issue. Noticed a small drip of transmission fluid on the garage floor today. Not a heavy leak at least not evident by the amount dripping out, I'd say about 3 quarter-sized puddles in the span of an hour. I took it by the dealer they looked under it and didn't see any hoses or piping leaking but it was near the end of the day so they couldn't get me in. I have an appt for Wednesday but I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this and if it's ok to drive the car until Wednesday? 

9 minutes ago, aphxtwinin said:

Well, looks like I've gotten hit with a transmission issue. Noticed a small drip of transmission fluid on the garage floor today. Not a heavy leak at least not evident by the amount dripping out, I'd say about 3 quarter-sized puddles in the span of an hour. I took it by the dealer they looked under it and didn't see any hoses or piping leaking but it was near the end of the day so they couldn't get me in. I have an appt for Wednesday but I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this and if it's ok to drive the car until Wednesday? 

You sure that is transmission fluid?

sometimes the engine oil change places don’t put a proper o-ring washer on the drain bolt. 

9 minutes ago, aphxtwinin said:

You sure that is transmission fluid?

sometimes the engine oil change places don’t put a proper o-ring washer on the drain bolt. 

Good to see they are still working on it but damn it has been months so far and still no resolution.  What is up with Ford lately.  They have this issue with the Edge/Nautilus and the Explorer/Aviator is having electronic issues as well.  I wonder if the new Escape/Corsair will have issues with its 8 speed trans as well. 

• Like 1

Also, this 8-speed is GM's modified 9-speed--with a gear removed.  Right there that says there was a design and a calibration strategy that had to be jury-rigged by Ford right out of the gate.  Not sure if that has anything directly to do with it but this is a hacked tranny from the get-go.

Sorry, my info was wrong, this is the re-designed 6-speed, the GM-build 9-to-8 speed was for lower torque cars.

Edited by Jombi
Incorrect info

2 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

Good to see they are still working on it but damn it has been months so far and still no resolution.  What is up with Ford lately.  They have this issue with the Edge/Nautilus and the Explorer/Aviator is having electronic issues as well.  I wonder if the new Escape/Corsair will have issues with its 8 speed trans as well. 

It is disappointing. My first two Fords a 2010 Explorer XLT and a 2013 Edge SEL were great cars, never any issues. With my 2016  Edge Sport it would just die upon "get to highway speed" acceleration, almost got into two severe accidents because of it. It took about 6 months to diagnose and fix, they had to replace the entire engine harness after trying many other things before that.  Now with the Edge ST which I've loved so far is starting to leak transmission fluid and I believe this started on Friday after a really harsh R to D transmission engagement. I really want to go out for a drive but I'm afraid to do so with the leak.  

13 minutes ago, aphxtwinin said:

It is disappointing. My first two Fords a 2010 Explorer XLT and a 2013 Edge SEL were great cars, never any issues. With my 2016  Edge Sport it would just die upon "get to highway speed" acceleration, almost got into two severe accidents because of it. It took about 6 months to diagnose and fix, they had to replace the entire engine harness after trying many other things before that.  Now with the Edge ST which I've loved so far is starting to leak transmission fluid and I believe this started on Friday after a really harsh R to D transmission engagement. I really want to go out for a drive but I'm afraid to do so with the leak.  

I think it's wise to ground the car until the dealer has a look.  This is because the nature of the leak--something that happened immediately after a harsh shift--as opposed to something that built up very slowly over time, which would often indicate failing gasket material (which I believe is now liquid gasket as opposed to old-school paper/neoprene gaskets).  Anyway, because you noticed this right after a heavy incident, there's a possibility of a crack and that's something that could get much worse or outright fail in a drive.

2 minutes ago, Jombi said:

I think it's wise to ground the car until the dealer has a look.  This is because the nature of the leak--something that happened immediately after a harsh shift--as opposed to something that built up very slowly over time, which would often indicate failing gasket material (which I believe is now liquid gasket as opposed to old-school paper/neoprene gaskets).  Anyway, because you noticed this right after a heavy incident, there's a possibility of a crack and that's something that could get much worse or outright fail in a drive.

Agreed and I will it just hurts seeing her sit there. I did some troubleshooting with it in the driveway so I can give some feedback to the dealership when I take it on Wednesday. Seems like it's only leaking when being driven. I turned it on and didn't move it and there was no leak. I then drove it down the driveway and I can see fluid spotting on the pavement. The only drive I have to make is Monday for work so fingers crossed. It unnerves me that when serious issues like this pop-up you just gotta wait in line to get the car looked at or be put in a loaner, there's no sense of urgency. I get it that dealerships have finite resources but they just told me to bring it back Wednesday as if there wasn't potential for serious damage to the car. 

1 hour ago, Jombi said:

Also, this 8-speed is GM's modified 9-speed--with a gear removed.  Right there that says there was a design and a calibration strategy that had to be jury-rigged by Ford right out of the gate.  Not sure if that has anything directly to do with it but this is a hacked tranny from the get-go.

Sorry, my info was wrong, this is the re-designed 6-speed, the GM-build 9-to-8 speed was for lower torque cars.

Why would you say it’s jury rigged?  They tested the 9 speed and found issues so they removed a gear.  Each company does their own software.  GM has also had problems with their 9 speed.  Removing a gear wasn’t the problem.

7 minutes ago, akirby said:

Why would you say it’s jury rigged?  They tested the 9 speed and found issues so they removed a gear.  Each company does their own software.  GM has also had problems with their 9 speed.  Removing a gear wasn’t the problem.

I just said it was something that may be a possibility, but it's moot now, I did edit my post because I'd realized the Edge ST 8-speed was not the GM "rigged" 9-speed, it was Ford's upgraded 6-speed.

Either way, it's still not optimal.  If something is drawn up to be a 9-speed and a gear is removed, sure maybe that's not ruinous, but it's a significant change from the engineers' original design so it is simply not optimal.