Fingernip

Poor Trans shifting theory  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Octane used

• 87 Octane (Regular)
    • 88-90 Octane (Mid grade)
    • 91-94 Octane (High test)

1 hour ago, Jombi said:

I just said it was something that may be a possibility, but it's moot now, I did edit my post because I'd realized the Edge ST 8-speed was not the GM "rigged" 9-speed, it was Ford's upgraded 6-speed.

Either way, it's still not optimal.  If something is drawn up to be a 9-speed and a gear is removed, sure maybe that's not ruinous, but it's a significant change from the engineers' original design so it is simply not optimal.

You’re assuming the original 9 speed design was optimal and Ford engineers (who worked with GM on the design) don’t know what they’re doing.  Number of gears has nothing to do with harsh engagements from a stop which is the current complaint on the 2.0L vehicles with the 8f35.  No shifting issues.

I just want to say I love the ST. But the transmission is far from being what it should be. My issue has been hard engagement, 2nd to 3rd flare, jumping out of gear and revving and need to lift off the go pedal to re-engage. Has anyone else had this issue? 1400 miles on the clock and will be taking to dealer next week. I am really concerned of this issue, otherwise love it. 

4 minutes ago, STEdGeST said:

I just want to say I love the ST. But the transmission is far from being what it should be. My issue has been hard engagement, 2nd to 3rd flare, jumping out of gear and revving and need to lift off the go pedal to re-engage. Has anyone else had this issue? 1400 miles on the clock and will be taking to dealer next week. I am really concerned of this issue, otherwise love it. 

I had the same thing, even in sport mode it was not consistent or predictable.  I got a Livernois tune and aside from helping with the engine calibration, it helps with shift timing.  It keeps it in gear to closer to redline (where the stock calibration would, even at WOT, decide 4500 was a good shift point), and the upshifts are firm and quick.

9 hours ago, STEdGeST said:

Have you noticed any correlation with the traction control light coming on? I have had the revs seemingly out of gear but it only occurs at times when the traction control is triggered. I would expect bog since it is cutting fuel and applying brakes but with traction control off it never does it. 

8 hours ago, Fingernip said:

Have you noticed any correlation with the traction control light coming on? I have had the revs seemingly out of gear but it only occurs at times when the traction control is triggered. I would expect bog since it is cutting fuel and applying brakes but with traction control off it never does it. 

Traction control on Ford's sucks, it is not ignition cut and fuel but brakes instead and is very sensitive.  It activates at times I would think it should not.  It even does this when you put it in Sport mode, double click, which is not sporty at all. 

18 hours ago, STEdGeST said:

What is your build date?  That sounds an awefull lot like the TSB for ones built before around May this year. 

12 hours ago, Fingernip said:

No lights, no applying brakes. Just jumps out of gear and revved to high heaven. Only occurs at Radom between shifts 2nd to 3rd. I also have on take off like hesitation and all of a sudden lurch forward and freely if that makes sense. Almost like its flooded with fuel and clears out like a carbureted would back in the day if running really rich. I hope I am making sense here. Hard to explain. 

5 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

Traction control on Ford's sucks, it is not ignition cut and fuel but brakes instead and is very sensitive.  It activates at times I would think it should not.  It even does this when you put it in Sport mode, double click, which is not sporty at all. 

Actually it engages the brake on the spinning wheel AND cuts torque if necessary.

15 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

It does all of the above. It limits torque and applies brakes to wheels with slip. It just seems overly aggressive.  With traction control off it seems to still limit slip to some degree though. 

8 hours ago, Fingernip said:

It does all of the above. It limits torque and applies brakes to wheels with slip. It just seems overly aggressive.  With traction control off it seems to still limit slip to some degree though. 

With it off, one press,  it still will not allow sliding around as it just kills traction control.  If you turn it fully off by holding the button it turns everything off except roll control.  And that is an even worse nanny when trying to drive spiritedly, it activates still when tossing around the rear and driving hard where you may understeer/push while sliding the rear around.  It is not anywhere near rolling but still intervenes.  Sport mode is anything but sporty.  I came from a Focus ST and Sport mode allowed spinning the tires and having some fun while not allowing too much sliding out the rear, but some.  If you really wanted it off you put it in track mode which killed it all but also the downside was it turned off the pseudo limited slip function and became a one wheel burner.  With the Edge the Sport mode does not even allow any spins and may allow a slight slip out but then it intervenes.  \

Nice  thing about the Focus was if you were tuned and using Cobb you could put it in Sport mode and then use Cobb's spark based traction control.  Such a better system and Ford should think about adopting it for their ST/Sport traction control Sport mode. 

Either way the Edge ST is no fun with the traction control on or even in the crappy Sport mode.  I push the button once as soon as I start the car, I can control wheel spin just fine with my right foot.  I hold the button for real fun.  Sadly when tuned the traction control becomes even more irritating.  There is sadly no fun mode in the settings for it other than TC off and ESC Off Completely.  Just my opinion of course and probably why I will need new tires by 20,000 miles. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2019 at 7:56 PM, STEdGeST said:

I've been having very similar issues to you on the transmission in the last month or so. Definitely was not there when I first got it. The worst thing is what appears to be a transmission slip between 3-4 for me. Under dry roads hard or soft acceleration load the car will buck with what feels like no power on that shift for about a second. Engine revs high until the 4th gear catches and will continue as normal. Build date for me was January of this year.

Did you get the transmission TSB applied to yours? if so did it help? going to try and get mine in this week.

24 minutes ago, Orbie said:

I've been having very similar issues to you on the transmission in the last month or so. Definitely was not there when I first got it. The worst thing is what appears to be a transmission slip between 3-4 for me. Under dry roads hard or soft acceleration load the car will buck with what feels like no power on that shift for about a second. Engine revs high until the 4th gear catches and will continue as normal. Build date for me was January of this year.

Did you get the transmission TSB applied to yours? if so did it help? going to try and get mine in this week.

There seems to be a new TSB out now.  19-2313

72993554_10221122502994400_1167267279491039232_n.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Orbie said:

I have not got the TSB yet. Scheduled later next week. Still having same issues. 1700 miles and still same issues. Been doing since first week of ownership. Will post when I get the TSB completed. Same issue as you concerning sluggish between gears before a shift. Sport mode is a joke as well. Will update after TSB. 

• Thanks 1

On October 20, 2019 at 11:15 PM, MENINBLK said:

I had the TSB applied to my 2019 Edge ST and the 3-4 gear upshifting problems have been solved.

There is still a hard upshift when traveling at about 6 mph and coasting.

The tranny will shift so hard and the Edge will accelerate, so that I have to apply the brakes.

Pete...

Have had that issue as well. 

On 10/20/2019 at 11:15 PM, MENINBLK said:

I had the TSB applied to my 2019 Edge ST and the 3-4 gear upshifting problems have been solved.

There is still a hard upshift when traveling at about 6 mph and coasting.

The tranny will shift so hard and the Edge will accelerate, so that I have to apply the brakes.

Pete...

Are you saying that you have had TSB 19-2313 which was announced on 10/16 2019 already applied?  My dealer wasn’t scheduled to receive the software for TSB 19-2313 until 10/23/2019.  I am scheduled to have it applied on 10/25/2019.  

Edited by BillE
Typo on TSB number

I take delivery on a new 2019 Edge ST at the end of the month.  Should I insist they update the PCM with the 9-2313 update before I take delivery?  Or should I wait and see if my vehicle exhibits any of the symptoms described?  In other words, is this TSB a software update? Or is it more like a remedy that only fixes vehicles with issues?  

PS - I am very excited to get behind the wheel!

11 minutes ago, CTCLUES said:

I take delivery on a new 2019 Edge ST at the end of the month.  Should I insist they update the PCM with the 9-2313 update before I take delivery?  Or should I wait and see if my vehicle exhibits any of the symptoms described?  In other words, is this TSB a software update? Or is it more like a remedy that only fixes vehicles with issues?  

PS - I am very excited to get behind the wheel!

It's a software update and I would absolutely ask that it be done prior to delivery.  They can't do it until the vehicle is sold.  Just say that you noticed some poor shifting on the test drive - that should be all they need to do it.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

It's a software update and I would absolutely ask that it be done prior to delivery.  They can't do it until the vehicle is sold.  Just say that you noticed some poor shifting on the test drive - that should be all they need to do it.

I'm picking up a new ST on tomorrow, and they said I should wait to see if there are symptoms.

I bought another Edge ST two months ago, but it was totalled in an accident. I didn't notice any flares, but then again, I only had it for two months.

1 hour ago, BlueSteel said:

I'm picking up a new ST on tomorrow, and they said I should wait to see if there are symptoms.

I bought another Edge ST two months ago, but it was totalled in an accident. I didn't notice any flares, but then again, I only had it for two months.

Well they do need to have symptoms to get Ford to pay for the update.