Poor trans shifting theory investigation

Fingernip

Poor Trans shifting theory  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Octane used

• 87 Octane (Regular)
    • 88-90 Octane (Mid grade)
    • 91-94 Octane (High test)

It might be something to do with the learning- ours never shifted harshly from P to D until recently.  It was fine for at least a few weeks after they did the TSB flash update, and it's slowly has been happening more and more often.  I wonder if the guy who wrote the adaptive learning portion of the code just FUBARed it completely.    

I have Forscan as well- I'll try to reset ours and see if it improves.  I don't think it does anything too odd otherwise while driving, but we did get some odd shifts when we first bought it, which is why we had them do the TSB flash update on it a month or so back.  

Edit:  I don't think you can turn off the adaptive learning without a custom PCM calibration.  Might just be one of those thing you get to do every few weeks unit Ford gets their shit together.    I gotta think after 3 or 4 years of producing tens of thousands of these things- they will probably, maybe, finally get the programming right. Then again, they are still recalling 6 year old F150s for trans reprogramming, and have had multiple updates due to the initial reprogramming not doing what it should have. 

WTF Ford?  You putting the new guy in charge of programming your automatic transmissions?

Edited by IWRBB

Another update: it's been roughly three months since clearing the adaptive cache, and the tranny shifts perfectly. Problem is definitely gone. No software update required. No parts were broken. My Edge is working as expected. Very happy this was a simple fix. Hope others can try this.

Edited by Kubicide

On 8/30/2019 at 10:36 PM, Kubicide said:

Another update: it's been roughly three months since clearing the adaptive cache, and the tranny shifts perfectly. Problem is definitely gone. No software update required. No parts were broken. My Edge is working as expected. Very happy this was a simple fix. Hope others can try this.

I cleared it on ours- no more issues shifting from Park to drive so far.  It's been at least a week.  Wife said she'd tell me if it did it again and no reports as of yet.  

On 8/30/2019 at 9:36 PM, Kubicide said:

Can you describe the procedure for clearing the cache?

19 hours ago, Kubicide said:

If you look back one page you'll see the instructions. It involves using Forescan.

9 hours ago, IWRBB said:

You need Forscan and a OBD II adapter.  I bought this one. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F0GVBWY/

Forscan is free to download.  

Thanks guys, I didn't page down far enough.  I have the program/adapter so I'll give it a try tonight.

5 hours ago, IWRBB said:

Wife said it's done the slam into drive from park shift twice again in the last couple days.

If this is what you are trying to fix stop wasting your time. There is currently a note from ford on oasis that it's a known issue, most of us suffer from it, and they are working on a fix. The last flash was only to fix shifting while driving not going from park to reverse or drive, etc.

July 22, 2019 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: SSM 48095

NHTSA ID Number: 10163590

Manufacturer Communication Number: SSM 48095

Summary

Some 2019 Edge/Nautilus vehicles equipped with an 8F57 transmission may exhibit harsh engagements when shifting from PARK to REVERSE, PARK to DRIVE and or REVERSE to DRIVE. These harsh engagements may result in an engagement clunk from the driveline. Do not attempt any repairs at this time. Engineering is investigating, monitor OASIS for updates.

Request Research (Services fees apply)

6 hours ago, aphxtwinin said:

So this is somewhat off-topic but I figured you all would be the best to ask. I'm looking into getting into an ST in the next week or so. I've been reading about these transmission issues and I'm wondering if I should reconsider going with an ST? Do any of you regret your purchase? 

Mine has almost 10,000 miles on it now and shifts fine for the most part.  It is an automatic trans so it has its moments, like when cold or not downshifting when I think it should have.  I get a harsh engagement once in a while but it is nothing horrible and they are working on a fix.  Other than that I really have no issues that are big enough to make me regret my purchase.  It is a new transmission and you can test those all you want but they are never perfect out the door and a lot of annoyances or issues do not crop up until thousands of people, with different driving styles, start to use them.  But no I have no regrets other than I should have waited until the actual end of my last least instead of ending it early to get it, I would have paid less, LOL!!!!

4 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

Mine has almost 10,000 miles on it now and shifts fine for the most part.  It is an automatic trans so it has its moments, like when cold or not downshifting when I think it should have.  I get a harsh engagement once in a while but it is nothing horrible and they are working on a fix.  Other than that I really have no issues that are big enough to make me regret my purchase.  It is a new transmission and you can test those all you want but they are never perfect out the door and a lot of annoyances or issues do not crop up until thousands of people, with different driving styles, start to use them.  But no I have no regrets other than I should have waited until the actual end of my last least instead of ending it early to get it, I would have paid less, LOL!!!!

thanks for the reply, its good to see that they're actively working on it. I'm coming from a 2016 Sport that got rear ended a week after I bought out the lease so here I am again! There are a couple of STs locally that have good incentives but have been on the dealerships lot for a bit so I'm gonna see if a test drive reveals anything. 

On 9/14/2019 at 12:35 PM, aphxtwinin said:

thanks for the reply, its good to see that they're actively working on it. I'm coming from a 2016 Sport that got rear ended a week after I bought out the lease so here I am again! There are a couple of STs locally that have good incentives but have been on the dealerships lot for a bit so I'm gonna see if a test drive reveals anything. 

Well they don't apply the TSB until it is sold so that will not be on there.  Also these take 1000 miles to properly get full boost so try not and be disappointed if the boost does not hit and hold 17psi, it will after 1000 miles or so get on it. 

On 9/14/2019 at 12:26 AM, aphxtwinin said:

So this is somewhat off-topic but I figured you all would be the best to ask. I'm looking into getting into an ST in the next week or so. I've been reading about these transmission issues and I'm wondering if I should reconsider going with an ST? Do any of you regret your purchase? 

I notice this clunk issue occasionally,  it's not  a deal-breaker in my opinion.

Some things to note about the ST (I have a 2019 ST)--note that I'm very happy with my ST and don't regret it and could go on an on about the "pros", but the below are the "cons" I've found so far:

1. The transmission in general is a bit lazy, even in Sport mode.  Not a deal-breaker either, but worth noting that I rarely use the paddle-shifters because using them is like calling a cat to come to you.  It'll sit there and come over when it feels like it.

2. The seats are really snug.  I'm not a big guy and still I feel like I have to shimmy into the bolstered sides.  Maybe if I was driving F1 I'd want that extra tightness but I'm not going to see the Gs that would force me sideways more than a seatbelt alone would hold.

3. Styling-wise, all good but not a fan of the exhaust tips.  I'm looking into trying to get the Titanium tips with the matching rear moulding.  Not sure if  there's a direct fit there but to me it would be worth a few hundred to fix that styling miscue.

4.  I have not yet been able to get Android Auto to work.  I updated Sync to the latest version, which claims it has Waze, etc. but none of that is available, whether I connect via USB or Bluetooth.  I can make calls and do all that stuff, but no Nav possible (I  got the sync without nav because why pay for nav when I can use my phones nav via Android  auto).

Other  than that, it is everything I wanted it to be!

--Jim

• Like 1

Is there any place on Ford's website to check to see when they have the trans update or better yet a link to send complaints to ford about these type of issues,  I realize allot of these issues will be fixed in 2023 but until than they need to do something.  I guess there to proud to call LMS or the like to ask them what they have done to make things better with the tune LOL

5 hours ago, Jombi said:

4.  I have not yet been able to get Android Auto to work.  I updated Sync to the latest version, which claims it has Waze, etc. but none of that is available, whether I connect via USB or Bluetooth.  I can make calls and do all that stuff, but no Nav possible (I  got the sync without nav because why pay for nav when I can use my phones nav via Android  auto).

Other  than that, it is everything I wanted it to be!

--Jim

Try a different cable. It could be it's not passing data. If you have both apps installed on the phone and the appropriate settings toggled, Android Auto should fire right up. You do need the phone connected via a data cable. The one that comes with the phone should work though.

• Like 1