Need help with 2018 Edge Sport Rims

Bxp

Question guys/gals, I recently scraped all 4  of my 21 inch wheels on my 2018 Edge Sport  (combination of bad driving, chicago construction, potholes, curbs that come outta nowhere, tight drive through lanes ?).   It has less than 10,000 miles and I have a long way to go with this suv.      Anywhoo,  two are pretty bad,  two are very minor (about an inch that is slightly scraped).     I have a couple of options and seeking your advice.    I recently ordered one refurb wheel from somewhere (they only had one in stock at the time),  but returning it due to bad quality (bad paint, little bubbles in paint).

Option 1.  Replace  just the two that are worst scraped.   Refurb of same wheel are about 400 each.  

Option 2.  Replace all 4  wheels.  (I would prefer to downgrade to 19s or 20s that have more sidewall).    

Option 3.   Repair the two that are worst damaged,   however I'm having a hard time finding a reputable wheel repair place in Chicago.    If you know of one from experience,  please provide a name.

Please be respectful in your responses.    I am already kicking myself in the .. .on the damage so you can probably save comments on bad driving.   ?    One more question,  should refurb wheels look like new or are they always a little off in quality (especially appearance) ?

Edited by Bxp

If I had the option, I'd personally go with option 2. Replace all 4 with 20" wheels. Though, if you still decide to keep the 21s, consider using tires that have a rim protector lip. They would stick out a but to take curb hits before the rims and help reduce damage to wheels. My current tires have them (Vredestein Ultrac Vorti) and they work great. They don't eliminate damage, but do reduce them significantly, especially lighter curb scrapes.

• Like 1

No need to berate yourself, we've all been here at some time in our lives. Some more than others. Some braver than others to admit it. I speak from experience.  My 21" wheels are less than pristine and that's putting it mildly. 

There has to be a debate out there somewhere on nets about the worst cities to drive in. I live in Philly and I'm sure our roads are just as bad if not worst.  I've been out there a few times. I remember that friends and relatives would say that Chicago has two seasons: Construction and Winter. Both will take there toll on wheels and tires.

Omar made two excellent suggestions you can go down to 20".  20" wheels are cheaper, and open up a plethora of tire choices. 20" wheels are lighter and ultimately much more comfortable to ride on.   Or you can find tires that offer some rim protection.  I can't speak to which tires offer them.  If you come across some please share with the group. 

But if you prefer the look of the 21" They are very unique and look very good. Hey I don't blame ya. I like the look myself.  

if you do decided to stay with the 21" you can get a 45 series tire which will give you a taller sidewall. If you do decide to go with a 45 series tire it will increase unsprung wheel weight. I don't know if the small increase will have an adverse effect of handling. 

My google-fu revealed a shop in Highland park that will repair and refinish your wheels.  They have great reviews on yelp and google. At the very minimum I would take a drive out and see what they're working with. 

When in doubt google will sort you out.  HTH Good Luck. 

Wheel-Tech Reviews    Wheel -Tech 

Edited by onyxbfly
  • Like 1

Thank you Omar302 and Onyxbfly !!.     I'll get an estimate from Wheel-Tech  and go from there.    If I end up keeping the wheels,  I'll waiting for the tires to wear out before getting new  45 series tires.    Thank you both again !!!    I might be back for suggestions on which 20 inch wheels look best if  I go that route.   

Edited by Bxp
  • Like 1

I replaced one of the rims on our 2016 Edge Sport by ordering a rim, via eBay, from Detroit Wheel and Tire.  It arrived and did not match my rims, color wise, at all.   I was able to get ahold of someone at Detroit W&T who told me that all they sell for my car are take-offs, and the color is different from year to year.  Might not be totally true, but he sent me another rim that matched perfectly.  I think it was $350 shipped, they covered the shipping for the return and replacement.  Local shop mounted and balanced, swapped the TPMS sensor.

I have not tried to have my curbed OEM rim refurbed here locally yet.  I did buy winter tires, 19” OEM tires, rims and TPMS.  Since running them, no curbing - just good driving by my wife.

Disclaimer - I am selling a set of wheels listed in the classifieds.

Doug

Edited by bud_d

7 hours ago, bud_d said:

I replaced one of the rims on our 2016 Edge Sport by ordering a rim, via eBay, from Detroit Wheel and Tire.  It arrived and did not match my rims, color wise, at all.   I was able to get ahold of someone at Detroit W&T who told me that all they sell for my car are take-offs, and the color is different from year to year.  Might not be totally true, but he sent me another rim that matched perfectly.  I think it was $350 shipped, they covered the shipping for the return and replacement.  Local shop mounted and balanced, swapped the TPMS sensor.

I have not tried to have my curbed OEM rim refurbed here locally yet.  I did buy winter tires, 19” OEM tires, rims and TPMS.  Since running them, no curbing - just good driving by my wife.

Disclaimer - I am selling a set of wheels listed in the classifieds.

Doug

There may be some truth to what the guy at Detroit W/T told you.  My wheels are night and day different than the wheels on my brothers 2015.  If I remember correctly the dealer told me that there was a shortage of materials used to produce the wheels. I thought he might have been joking, but we walked around his lot we must have seen 3 or 4 different shades.  My brothers wheels look more like charcoal.  Mine are more of silver tint to them.  His matches the magnetic grey trim that is in the front grill and mine does not. 

Your wheels are in very good condition. GLWS!

The 18 inch tires (Cooper Zeon RS3-A) on my Mustang have a good half inch of rubber wheel protection built into the tire. It would be very hard to curb the wheel. I've noticed the SUV size tires have no wheel protection built in the tire. Even our new Michelin tires (20 inch) have 'zero' wheel protection. I wonder why?

Yeah, the "protection" on the 21inch Pirellis on Edge Sport is a joke.  My rims always get scraped first before the tire at the slightest touch.   I've damaged mine from super narrow bank/food/coffee drive thru lanes.   I try to avoid using them but have to when its negative temps outside.    I like it when the wheels sit a little more inside the tire.    

Edited by Bxp

6 hours ago, Bxp said:

Yeah, the "protection" on the 21inch Pirellis on Edge Sport is a joke.  My rims always get scraped first before the tire at the slightest touch.   I've damaged mine from super narrow bank/food/coffee drive thru lanes.   I try to avoid using them but have to when its negative temps outside.    I like it when the wheels sit a little more inside the tire.    

I let my lady deal with the drive through debacles.  Vehicles get bigger/ wider and the drive through remains the same. Its always a stretch/ reach for me with drive thrus.  i'm always apprehensive about rubbing or scraping something.  The only drive through that I prefer to go through is the pharmacy. Because the drive thru negates having to wait to pick up meds. 

6 hours ago, David Young said:

The 18 inch tires (Cooper Zeon RS3-A) on my Mustang have a good half inch of rubber wheel protection built into the tire. It would be very hard to curb the wheel. I've noticed the SUV size tires have no wheel protection built in the tire. Even our new Michelin tires (20 inch) have 'zero' wheel protection. I wonder why?

I haven't seen any all season tires with wheel protection. The only tires I have come across with wheel protection are sport/ summer tires.

Alright..   well.. time has come.   I am ready to buy 4 x 20 inch wheels (and tires).  I looked on Discount tire and Tirerack, but most of the brands both of these shops sell have bad reviews online (except BBS, but BBS are expensive).  TSW is the only one that has decent reviews.     If I wanted to buy NEW - GENUINE (  NOT REFURB )  FORD OEM WHEELS,   where should i go?     There are a couple of Ford Explorer wheels that I like (I think they are 20 inchx8.5 wheels and should fit).

Explorer wheels are 5x114.3. Your wheels are 5x108.  You should be looking at Land rover/ Range Rover / Volvo/ Jaguar and a few others that escape me at the moment. (Depends on the model and year. Carefully do your research.)  

If you decide to go with a different manufacturer you can change the center cap.

Edited by onyxbfly

Personally I do not care for the OEM edge 20" sport wheels. I do like the ST 20" wheels. Unfortunately I have yet to see any available for sale. I'd check the usual suspects facebook market place/ eBay/ craigslist.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/wto/d/monee-ford-edge-sport-rims-20-lincoln/6958344287.html

If you prefer new wheels then you can point your browser in this direction 

https://www.detroitwheelandtire.com/searchanise/result?q=ford+edge+&page=3&rb_categories=2018%7CSPORT

Edited by onyxbfly

Here's the answer to all of your 20" wheel issues, these wheels, tires (All-Season Performance) & TPMS sensors were all new and only have 500 Hwy miles!

Make me an offer I can't refuse so I can use my garage again before winter gets here...lol...:ohsnap::ford:

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 1

Since you're OK with going down to 19" wheels, the current generations of cars below use the same bolt pattern:

- Fusion (Sport, Titanium, Platinum)

- Focus RS (2 styles) (many owners sell brand new take-off sets as they get aftermarket wheels at a reasonable price)

- Escape

- - 19" snowflake rims didn't clear my Fusion Sport's front brakes, not sure how different your front calipers are but I'd bet this set won't fit yours as well

- - 19" black Appaearnce Package rims fit on my Fusion Sport fine, you should be OK with these

- Lincoln MKC, MKX, has both 19" and 20"

- Lincoln MKZ

- Lincoln Continental

• Like 1