How do you like your Edge? Potential buyer here with questions.

I'm about to trade my POS Dodge Nitro in on a used 2007 Edge AWD SEL + with only 3,500 miles on it. This thing is loaded and is the exact color that I want (Blazing Copper).

How do you folks like the performance, reliability and handling so far? Don't even get me started on the Nitro. I don't want to make the same mistake twice. I've always been a Ford man and I don't know why I strayed when I bought the Nitro but I plan on going back to Ford with the Edge.

I'm located in Maryland and I just retired from the Navy after 20 years and the Edge is in PA so my wife and I will have drive almost three hours tomorrow to get to the dealership that has it so I only want to have to make the trip once. Is there anything that I should pay particular attention to when I check this thing over? I'm very particular when it comes to my vehicles so I plan on going over this thing with a fine-tooth comb.

I'll have check in hand and my goal is to not leave the dealership until I get a deal I'm satisfied with. With any luck I'll be the proud owner of a used (new to me) Ford Edge tomorrow. With only 3,500 miles on it, it's practically new.

First, I own an '07 SEL+ AWD in Blazing Copper; it now has 17000 miles on it.

I LOVE mine. I'm an incorrigible tweak and have lowered it with an H&R spring kit, had the front and rear facia painted, and replaced the wheels and tires, the exhaust system--it was WAY too quiet!--the stereo's door speakers and added dash-top tweeters, It gets 18+ MPG life-to-date and has plenty of power when I want to go fast or faster.

It has recently developed its first problem--the stereo intermitently doesn't work correctly, so I'll be getting that fixed.

Sidesquare_700w.jpg

I love mine.. but check the paint real well as the paint job is my biggest complaint as it is a bit on the low quality side (pits, debris, thin paint, primer with no paint, etc). Check the chrome wheels, assuming you are getting the chrome clads, and make sure they are in good shape and not peeling as others have noted. these are just 2 things I can think of you read about. also, might best read some of the threads about the "issues people have had" and take note and check those as well just to be safe.

there are a low of great things about the Edge and I love mine, and a lot of cool things you can add/do to it you will see here, but in looking at buying, I think you have to seek out those negatives and see if they are acceptable and cool with you IF you find them on this used car.

Other than the usual good inspection, I would need to ask why a 1 y/o car with 3500 miles on it is on the dealers lot. It could be someone who fell on hard times, or it could be a buy-back.

Ask if it is a "Program Car" of any sort.

Make sure you get a transfer of the factory warranty.

-Larry

I'm about to trade my POS Dodge Nitro in on a used 2007 Edge AWD SEL + with only 3,500 miles on it. This thing is loaded and is the exact color that I want (Blazing Copper).

How do you folks like the performance, reliability and handling so far? Don't even get me started on the Nitro. I don't want to make the same mistake twice. I've always been a Ford man and I don't know why I strayed when I bought the Nitro but I plan on going back to Ford with the Edge.

I'm located in Maryland and I just retired from the Navy after 20 years and the Edge is in PA so my wife and I will have drive almost three hours tomorrow to get to the dealership that has it so I only want to have to make the trip once. Is there anything that I should pay particular attention to when I check this thing over? I'm very particular when it comes to my vehicles so I plan on going over this thing with a fine-tooth comb.

I'll have check in hand and my goal is to not leave the dealership until I get a deal I'm satisfied with. With any luck I'll be the proud owner of a used (new to me) Ford Edge tomorrow. With only 3,500 miles on it, it's practically new.

I'd buy one based on my experience year to date (Nov/2007 company lease)

Other than the inspection suggestions and the question of the low mileage (my bet, its the dealer demo or daily driver for the owner) I would ask some hard questions about the AWD and the transfer case. Do a site search to get the various opinions but it looks to me that some of the AWD models had specific problems with long back orders on the PTC.

I have a FWD and love it. If you live in snow country snow tires are a must so factor that in.

we love our 07 SEL AWD, had it 5 months bought new. get AVG mpg mid/19's mixed driving. only complaint i've seen is it feels a little top heavy (coming from an 02 tahoe 4x4) it could use a little more get-up-and-go in the lower rpm range (but that's probably because i don't floor it)

If this thing would avg 25 mpg, we would have a His and Hers Edge. but for now it's pretty much Hers :( (but i've got the sportbike so it's fair) I was looking at the Acura TL's before this and decided i liked the looks of the Edge better, and the fact i'd rather have it to tow my bike/mower with.

Hope you enjoy yours "when" you get it.

Edited by bulldog

• 4 weeks later...

Hello. We've only had the new '08 Edge Limited AWD for a week and we are very happy with its vapor silver metallic color and 20-inch wheels. We have never owned a car with a navigation system and we like that as well. We had the optional headrest dual DVD system installed as well for the grandkids. The modern design appeals to us, and together with the dark leather interior, the car has a serious stance. It handles very well and the sport suspension does not punish. One minor issue was a malfunctioning wireless headphone and that will be taken care of next week. I think you will enjoy your Edge as well. Regards.

• 4 months later...

Have a 2008 LTD AWD with 11,000 km on it. Drove out to Alberta and back for Christmas, 7,000 km. Encountered some "interesting weather". Very pleased with it. Some problems - heater core and ford remote start. Both covered under warranty but did lose the vehicle for a week. Ford dealer very good. As I see it the only competition is the Buick Enclave and it is a lot more money for the same packages plus around here GM dealers are still playing the smoke and mirrors games. Ford dealer gave me best price out the door right off the bat with none of the "offer is only good for the next 29 minutes crap. Would but another one especially if I can afford the Lincoln version.

I also Have a 2008 LTD AWD with 11,000 km on it.

Before I bought it I also test drove a Honda CRV and a Yoyota Rav with a v6.

The Honda could not tow my boat. The back seat area was smaller and more uncomfortable, rather cheap looking as well.

The Toyota was not as comfortable and roomy. The V6 had plenty of power but the vehicle handling was very harsh if you stepped on it.

I would rather spend an extra $20 a week in gas and be comfortable with the options that I need.

I am still holding out hope for the mileage to increase.

My previous vehicle was a 2003 Explorer Sporttrac and the mileage had a notable increase of 50 - 75 extra kms per tank after it got up to about 25,000 kms. I later added a drop in K&N air filter and the mileage went up again. When I first got it I was getting 475 to 515 kms per tank. After the increase after engine break-in and the addition of the K&N filter I could consistantly get 600 to 625 kms under similar driving conditions (This however was not durring the time of heavy snow falls and driving in 4WD).

I also feel better knowing that in a small way I helped out my friends neighbours and reltives that work at the Ford Oakville plant.

Edited by 08LTDEDGE

Since the original post was dated July 25th of last year, and the OP never logged in again, I'm guessing that he didn't buy the Edge. :beatdeadhorse:

The last thing we need here is another MPG thread, but don't take CliffsEdge's ranting as typical. I have to log every mile and every gallon in my company 2008 FWD Edge. With just over 20,000 miles, I'm averaging 20.5 MPG. About 70% of those miles are in the city.

I think it's safe to say that the mileage is subject to how you drive and where you drive, and if you tickle the injector pump with your toes and sit in stop-n-go SoCal traffic, it'll be worse than average. Maybe my mileage is better than average. YMMV.

And, I don't appreciate being called a full blown liar.

Edited by KCFlyer

I'm averaging 18.5 now with 8K miles and 70% city driving.

I can drive the same exact route to work in the same weather, same vehicle, etc. with no traffic and hitting all the lights green and manage 24 mpg in my V6 Fusion. If I hit lots of traffic and lots of red lights it can be as low as 18 mpg. There is no such thing as "typical" city mileage - there are WAY too many variables including the one sitting in the driver's seat.

• 2 months later...