Apple Car Play

16 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

Sync 3 dual USB port - this is needed because it has Apple CarPlay authentication chips. 

HC3Z-19A387-B for the Ford version (blue lighting around USB ports)

GJ7Z-19A387-B for the Lincoln version (white lighting around USB ports)

How can i tell what part number I have, my usb now have a blue light 

27 minutes ago, HockeyShot39 said:

How can i tell what part number I have, my usb now have a blue light 

You updated to SYNC3. All you need is the updated usb hub.  If you want to check your part number you would have to pull the usb hub.  Even though this is for a F-150 it applies to the edge as well. 

Scroll down to the apple car play section. It states that you need to upgrade the USB hub.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2017/05/19/ford-sync-3-software-update-apple-android-2016-vehicles.html  

Edited by onyxbfly

22 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

You updated to SYNC3. All you need is the updated usb hub.  If you want to check your part number you would have to pull the usb hub.  Even though this is for a F-150 it applies to the edge as well. 

Scroll down to the apple car play section. It states that you need to upgrade the USB hub.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2017/05/19/ford-sync-3-software-update-apple-android-2016-vehicles.html  

They said I need a media hub which is $400 

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, HockeyShot39 said:

They said I need a media hub which is $400 

Effin ridiculous! Order the USB hub and install it yourself. If you do not feel comfortable doing it, try a car stereo shop.  I cant see a car stereo shop charging more than $50 for the installation and thats asking a lot!

1 hour ago, HockeyShot39 said:

Just picked the car up form ford and he said it’s more than the USB - he said it’s a whole computer? 

FF365BDD-3331-4E41-B96C-94185162FDB1.jpeg

Most probably got that answer back cause the search/inquiry in the oasis system is based on the Car VIN and as built info, which would have indicated Sync 3 not being installed on the vehicle.

Since you've done the upgrade yourself, you just need to get the USB HUB and do the swap

attached is the repair shop manual for the media hub

Media Hub.pdf

Edited by ONEDGE16
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, jmr061 said:

OP said he has a 16 Edge Sport...those all came with SYNC3 from the factory.  The software just needs to be at 2.0 or higher and the hub installed.  $479....wtf are they smoking.

Third post in this thread he mentioned, unless he meant Sync 3 V2.0 upgraded to Sync3 V3.0

On 8/19/2019 at 8:53 PM, HockeyShot39 said:

No I just bought the car. It was in sync 2.0 and I upgraded it, but has no apple car play 

In any case, the SSM quoted by the tech says that V 2.0 is required for it and  not V3.0 - but it does mention an update to APIM could be needed.

Sync 3 V 2.0 was release July 2016 and was the first version of Sync 3 to support Apple Carplay and Android Auto

SSM 46561 - May 3 2017 4769 - 2016 Ford And Lincoln MKX - SYNC 3 And Navigation - Apple CarPlay And/Or Android Auto - Customer Pay Upgrade Available

Some customers with 2016 Ford/Lincoln vehicles with SYNC 3 and Navigation may request an upgrade for Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. In General settings and about check if v2.0 is present. If V2.0 is present no software update is needed. Apple CarPlay requires a new Media/USB hub to be installed. Refer to GSB for Apple CarPlay Android Auto upgrade. Follow WSM, Section 415-00 to update APIM if needed. After Installation Complete pop-up, follow PTS instructions and perform a complete ignition cycle by turning the key off for 5 minutes which is critical for a successful installation. The software and hardware upgrade is customer paid as it is not a warrantable repair per the Warranty And Policy Manual, Section 3, Warranty Coverages – SYNC.

G0000135.pdf

Edited by ONEDGE16
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ONEDGE16 said:

Most probably got that answer back cause the search/inquiry in the oasis system is based on the Car VIN and as built info, which would have indicated Sync 3 not being installed on the vehicle.

Since you've done the upgrade yourself, you just need to get the USB HUB and do the swap

attached is the repair shop manual for the media hub

Media Hub.pdf

so I just need a tool to pry that off and then disconnect wires and reconnect? Also what tool should i use? Thanks! I assume the video that wasn’t posted earlier is good?

Edited by HockeyShot39

2 hours ago, HockeyShot39 said:

so I just need a tool to pry that off and then disconnect wires and reconnect? Also what tool should i use? Thanks! I assume the video that wasn’t posted earlier is good?

The guy in this video did not use any pry tools. The media hub swap would have been easier if he used them. But as you can see they are not mandatory.  Even though he has SYNC3 like you do, he mentions updating the firmware.   @jmr061 and @ONEDGE16 mentioned upgrading the firmware.  I would double check to see if you have the most recent firmware available. If not upgrade it to SYNC3 V2.0 at a minimum. 

Edited by onyxbfly

10 minutes ago, onyxbfly said:

The guy in this video did not use any pry tools. The media hub swap would have been easier if he used them. But as you can see they are not mandatory.  Even though he like you have SYNC3 he mentions updating the firmware. I would double check to see if you have the most recent firmware available. 

so I can't just pry off the USB? I have to remove all that other stuff 

Just now, HockeyShot39 said:

so I can't just pry off the USB? I have to remove all that other stuff 

The instructions that @ONEDGE16 provided are correct. Unfortunately some users needed to remove the trim to get to the hub. There is a user here that said he simply popped it out. (unfortunately I can't place his name at the moment)  

I would try popping it out. if it works you're good to go. If not try plan B!

here's another youtube video that shows the simple procedure:

as for tools, you can use a screw driver as shown in the video, or get a trim removal kit:

https://www.amazon.com/Tresalto-Auto-Trim-Removal-Tool/dp/B01L8GHB7O

https://www.amazon.com/Removal-Pliers-Fastener-Remover-Storage/dp/B07HRNKY8P/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_263_img_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=R9242NHKR4VJ7JRFJ31W

Edited by ONEDGE16
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...