PTU Fluid Change

shumax

I had the PTU fluid changed on my 2016 Sport, with 28,000 miles.  Firestone charged me $90, including the fluid.  I sent it out to Blackstone to have it looked over.  The tech told me there was some sludge on the drain plug, but no shavings.  Said it ran fluid, but was thick.  Said changing it was the right move.  Replaced with the OEM fluid.  Interested to see what Blackstone has to say about it's condition...

Shumax

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

interesting observation; i did my oil, ATF and PTU fluids about a month ago at ~45k miles.

I fully expected the PTU fluid to be black and sludgy like it was on my 2011 Fusion Sport AWD at 59,000, but it came out Very Clean.

unbelievably so. 

My guess is that the clutching system in the RDU that engages the power transfer to the rear diff on demand only, also significantly reduces the load on the PTU (and thus the fluid) except when said clutch is engaged.

This is encouraging since they got a very bad rep in my book by calling the PTU on my 2011 Fusion Sport AWD a "lifetime fill" yet the fluid that came out when i did mine (around 65k) was more sludge than fluid..

That and the internal water pump that required dropping the drivetrain out to replace.. but that's another story for another time

anyway, thought this might be interesting to others, it was to me

Edited by Cerberus
Clarity

I am curious!   I had the dealership replace all drivetrain fluids at 36000 miles when I had it in for warranty work.  Now I'm almost at 76000 and going to change them at my buddys shop myself...except the trans fluid I will let him do that since I have no clue how to operate that machine.   This time I'm planning on running redline oils in the PTU & RDU.  The trans will stay motocraft.  You have me curious about how my oil analysis will turn out.  

• 1 month later...

Although things may have changed with Gen 2.5 / the 2019 MY, there are no clutches in the PTU.  There ARE clutches in the RDU, but it is a sealed system, and separate from the gears, which is where we add RDU fluid.  So, for all practical purposes, for 2007-2018, the PTU/RDU have no clutches to maintenance.

30K for the PTU, 60K for the RDU (or every other PTU fluid change) - assuming normal driving conditions, or let's say 2 yrs/4 yrs, assuming the average miles/year people drive nowadays.

https://www.bts.gov/statistical-products/surveys/national-household-travel-survey-daily-travel-quick-facts

38 minutes ago, t0lkman said:

Thanks for the replies! Obviously, I wouldn't be able to change the PTU fluids myself. Do you think I can stop by the local Ford dealership and ask to perform the PTU fluids change? How much this procedure might cost?

Not so obvious, ......many here change the PTU fluid themselves.

Depends on Year/Model.

Please consider adding  Location and  Year/Model to your profile signature - https://www.fordedgeforum.com/settings/signature/

Edited by 1004ron

6 hours ago, t0lkman said:

@omar so why in the US there is no recommendation for PTU lube?

PS.

2016 MY is gen2 or gen3?

You need to ask Ford that question. My guess is because of the much warmer weather here and that folks here assume crossovers are SUVs so they would still take them on sand dunes.

Gen1:    2007-2010

Gen1.5: 2011-2014

Gen2:    2015-2018

Gen2.5: 2019-2021

1.5 & 2.5 are referred to as 0.5 updates because they are refreshed models with the same chassis & many shared components.

• Like 1