MOON ROOF CONTROL LIGHTING

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did mine tonight. I ran a wire down the A pillar to the mirror fuse. I didn't want to mess with pulling down the headliner or releasing that wiring harness from it. I did use the ground screw "provided" right above the switch. I was getting tired of opening the roof when trying to close the shades :wacko: :wacko:

Hello everybody,

Ā 

I remember reading a post about the BAMR control panel having built-in lighting, but on the ford edge, they are strangly not hooked up, The lincoln version is.

Ā 

Can you let a fellow '08 AWD Limited owner know if its worthwhile wiring them up and how to do it?

Its easy to get distracted looking for the right buttons at night.

Ā 

Other then that, love my car, and getting 22 MPG combined (5500 miles on it).

Ā 

Thanks Much, great forum !

Ā 

Sanche

Yes they can light up and it does make a difference. I ran one wire to ground and the other down to the connector below the steering column to the violet/grey wire, others have gone to headlight switch. I have two pigtails with the correct connectors for the BAMR switch that I could send you if you want them.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I had seen this sooner. I could have saved everyone a lot of trouble.

Ā 

There's a solid blue wire in the harness that runs up the driver-side A-pillar. That's the Accessory Delay feed, and it also powers the lighting for the power window and lock controls, so it's the most logical (and easiest) wire to tap into. It's also 100% consistent with Ford's factory wiring.

Ā 

I started my own Edge forum and put up a complete thread on how to change this. I've also changed all of the LEDs in my Edge's interior, cluster, and exterior keypad. The only thing left for me to change is the shift bezel lighting.

Ā 

myedgeclusterafter.jpg

Ā 

myedgecluster2.jpg

Ā 

Anyway, here's the thread for the Vista Roof switch, and I still have five pairs of extra pins remaining:

Ā 

http://www.edge-central.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19

Ā 

I'll add threads for the rest of the LED swaps, including the factory nav unit, on my Edge site. The cluster was the most complicated, and it involved three new circuit boards.

Edited by jpark

Ā 

nice write up & cluster.... but it seems like we all ended up in the same spot in the end. the only real 'trouble' was determining which pins operated the LEDs. once that was figured out, wiring was just a matter of choice as there are about 3-4 ways to do it. in the end, I think mine is easiest as the only wires to run are right there at the unit self contained, not all the way across the headliner and down a pillar and such...

Again, I wish I had read this sooner, since I have all of Ford's wiring diagrams from 2004 right up to the Flex, and I could have saved you from having to test wiring.

Ā 

The wire you tapped into on your mirror was only for the 2007 models, and it's actually a blue with orange stripe wire, which goes to Pin 1 of the mirror connector (C911). That wire is powered by fuse F31, and it's +12V only in the start or run positions.

Ā 

That wire will work fine to light the LEDs in the Vista Roof connector.

Ā 

And I'm not sure why the grounds for the LEDs and controls inside the Vista Roof switch are separated, but they are. That's why Pin 1 can be tied directly to the other ground (Pin 14, in the opposite corner, also a black wire) on the same connector. Pin 2 is the +12V end. Pins 1 and 2 can't be swapped, since LEDs are polarity-sensitive.

Ā 

I wanted my Vista Roof switch LEDs to light at the same time as the power window and lock switches, which are lighted by the Accessory Delay feed, so that's why I ran the extra wire alongside the headliner harness to the A-pillar.

Ā 

I wouldn't have needed to do that on a 2008 or 2009 model. Ford changed that interior mirror connector on 2008 models by replacing that blue with orange stripe wire with the same blue wire that I tied into, but it now runs over to the mirror as well. Now that mirror circuit is tied to the the Accessory Delay feed, and not a Start/Run feed. If you have a 2008 or 2009 Edge/MKX with an auto-dimming mirror, it will continue to auto-dim as long as the Accessory Delay feed is still on.

Ā 

SO, if you try this mod on a 2008 or 2009 Edge, you can still use that blue wire on Pin 1 of the interior mirror connector, but it will continue to light the LEDs as long as the Accessory Delay circuit runs, and they'll behave just like the power window and lock switches.

The wire you tapped into on your mirror was only for the 2007 models,

Ā 

well, mine is a 2008.. so not sure what you mean "only for the 2007"

Ā 

and it's actually a blue with orange stripe wire

Ā 

hmm.. looked like blue wire w/red striped, not orange to me

Ā 

I wouldn't have needed to do that on a 2008 or 2009 model. Ford changed that interior mirror connector on 2008 models by replacing that blue with orange stripe wire with the same blue wire that I tied into, but it now runs over to the mirror as well. Now that mirror circuit is tied to the the Accessory Delay feed, and not a Start/Run feed. If you have a 2008 or 2009 Edge/MKX with an auto-dimming mirror, it will continue to auto-dim as long as the Accessory Delay feed is still on.

Ā 

SO, if you try this mod on a 2008 or 2009 Edge, you can still use that blue wire on Pin 1 of the interior mirror connector, but it will continue to light the LEDs as long as the Accessory Delay circuit runs, and they'll behave just like the power window and lock switches.

Ā 

on a 2008 - which is what I have - tying into that blue wire w/red striped (or blue with orange stripe as you say) gets you power to the LEDs all the time no matter day/night

Ford has been known to change things mid-year. Ford's wiring diagrams for 2008 models show a blue wire on Pin 1 of the auto-dimming mirror, and it's the Accessory Delay feed. The wiring diagrams for 2007 models show a blue with orange stripe wire on Pin 1. My guess is that you have a very early-production 2008.

Ā 

Do your Vista Roof switch LEDs shut off when you shut off the engine? If so, it has the harness from a 2007 model. The 2008 harness would keep the LEDs on with the audio system and the power window and lock switches.

Edited by jpark

Ford has been known to change things mid-year. Ford's wiring diagrams for 2008 models show a blue wire on Pin 1 of the auto-dimming mirror, and it's the Accessory Delay feed. The wiring diagrams for 2007 models show a blue with orange stripe wire on Pin 1. My guess is that you have a very early-production 2008.

Ā 

yes I do.. Feb 2008 actually. direct from factory to me :)

Ā 

Do your Vista Roof switch LEDs shut off when you shut off the engine? If so, it has the harness from a 2007 model. The 2008 harness would keep the LEDs on with the audio system and the power window and lock switches.

Ā 

having tied into the blue wire w/red stripe (or orange as you claim), they of course shut off when the car is off - I would never have tied into that wire otherwise. but when the car has key in the ignition and turned, they are always on night or day. that is, they do not come on when the lights come on as they would for those that have, for example, tapped into the wires at the light switch.

Ā 

2007 harness... interesting

• 3 months later...

Ā 

There's a solid blue wire in the harness that runs up the driver-side A-pillar. That's the Accessory Delay feed, and it also powers the lighting for the power window and lock controls, so it's the most logical (and easiest) wire to tap into. It's also 100% consistent with Ford's factory wiring.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

http://www.edge-central.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19

Ā 

Now that everyone seems to have a solution, let me muddy the waters with more information. I originally posted this to jpark at his web site shown above http://www.edge-central.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19. He has since replied to me there. Click on his link & :read: his reply.

Ā 

Iā€™ve got an ā€™07 & Iā€™ve :read: Uā€™r modification several times but I keep getting put off by headliner business. :yup: So I poked around & discovered that if U use any moon roof wire for power U get dimly lit LEDs. Not quite satisfactory. Then I got to thinking about Fordā€™s ā€œbattery saverā€ feature that turns off interior lights after 10 minutes if U leave door ajar. This works for interior lights Uā€™ve turned on manually but forgot to turn off. Soā€¦...I poked around some more & found that yellow w/green stripe wire to front interior/map lights is controlled by "battery saver." So Iā€™m suggesting for ā€˜07 owners that using this as power source will be an easier alternative to headliner remove/replace. LEDs will remain on for 10 min. after U leave car, but they're lit for hours when U take a long trip. Having these buttons lit at night is the way it should be from factory. However, now moon roof opens about 16" to "comfort position" rather than 6". I haven't used roof in a while so I'm not positive this is result of my tinkering. I'm guessing that things are just a little out of sync after 10000 miles. Sounds like it might be a warranty issue.

Edited by dadrett

• 5 months later...
nice write up & cluster.... but it seems like we all ended up in the same spot in the end. the only real 'trouble' was determining which pins operated the LEDs. once that was figured out, wiring was just a matter of choice as there are about 3-4 ways to do it. in the end, I think mine is easiest as the only wires to run are right there at the unit self contained, not all the way across the headliner and down a pillar and such...

Ā 

anyone know if this is doable on a 2010 edge? It looks like my moonroof controls are slightly different looking than the ones lex posted.... I have only 2 buttons instead of 4...

• 1 year later...

I finally got to this after thinking about it for a couple of months. I ordered the plug to get the clips. I grounded at the bolt above the BAMR switch. Taking the sun visor down was easy and made hiding the wire very easy. Pull out the side panel beside the light switch. That makes pushing out the light switch very easy. I then connected to the violet/purple wire. Hiding the wire down the side is very easy. If you have an Edge with BAMR and the lights are not working this is very easy.

I finally got to this after thinking about it for a couple of months. I ordered the plug to get the clips. I grounded at the bolt above the BAMR switch. Taking the sun visor down was easy and made hiding the wire very easy. Pull out the side panel beside the light switch. That makes pushing out the light switch very easy. I then connected to the violet/purple wire. Hiding the wire down the side is very easy. If you have an Edge with BAMR and the lights are not working this is very easy.

Gentlemen, great work and your efforts are appreciated. I must admit to being very surprised/disappointed with Ford for not lighting these up. My 2009 F-150 moon roof buttons were lit - seems Ford is all over the place with various features on their models.

Ā 

I have an '11 Limited and was wondering if anyone has checked into the wiring for this model? I did check out this thread, but still am not clear as to how to wire the 11 model? I'd also like to tap into a ground/power that is off/on with the key for my radar detector - anyone with a limited do this yet?

Ā 

thx!!!

Ā 

LOL, I knew you were referring to the Vista roof - but hadn't seen the BAMR reference before...so I Googled it...Big Ass Moon Roof.... :doh:

Edited by HotLap

• 11 months later...

Need to get this thread active again, cause I need help....

Ā 

I did the wiring and mine still doesn't light up on my 2008 Unlimited....

Ā 

I ran the power from pos #2 on the connector down the headliner and spliced it into the Purple with gray stripe wire... I then ran a wire from the #1 position to the black ground wire on the other connector at the mirror and spliced it into that..... Did I do something wrong? I used the wires I bought from the guy on here that have the factory Ford connectors and the spliced them in to the power wire using those blue connectors that you put both wires in and compress that metal tab that makes a bridge to both wires, forget what they are called......

Ā 

Please help, this is driving me crazy!

• 2 years later...