Octane Additives

Xtra

I have used VP,  Torco and  Race Gas products. The only one I have not tried is the Race Gas Ultra. Where I live 91 is the best you can get. Sometimes I like to run the 93 tune but to do that I have to buy 100 octane Race fuel at $9.40 per gal and blend it with 91, or use one of these additives. I decided to try all three bad to back with a tank of gas to compare.  First up was the VP Madditive I rate it last place as my motor ran rough and did not make good power. I was concerned that it did not rase the octane enough to run the 93 tune although I did and there was no damage. I will not buy it again. Next place goes to Torco Accellrator this product  worked well with the 93 tune providing smooth acceleration and noticeable power gains I would use it again if Race Gas was unavailable.  In first place and making me a believer is Race Gas. I mixed one can to a tank of 91 and what a difference it made with the 93 tune. The car came alive and was making tons of power. The engine also sounded quieter and smoother than with Torco. I am going to try the Race Gas ultra next. It might be overkill as the normal Race Gas worked so well . I should have used my Dragy to have numbers to back up my butt dyno. Oh well next time. 

419qdSibWQL._AC_.jpg.2cbd56813102c7fe71d08183846d3447.jpgaccelerator_540x.thumb.png.b2f81dca3ba66fa2e14175f266040c4f.png61FFCz82oLL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.4fe4fb418fb2a7c832ca1aad126bcda5.jpg

61fzwVZmf6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Xtra said:

I have used VP,  Torco and  Race Gas products. The only one I have not tried is the Race Gas Ultra. Where I live 91 is the best you can get. Sometimes I like to run the 93 tune but to do that I have to buy 100 octane Race fuel at $9.40 per gal and blend it with 91, or use one of these additives. I decided to try all three bad to back with a tank of gas to compare.  First up was the VP Madditive I rate it last place as my motor ran rough and did not make good power. I was concerned that it did not rase the octane enough to run the 93 tune although I did and there was no damage. I will not buy it again. Next place goes to Torco Accellrator this product  worked well with the 93 tune providing smooth acceleration and noticeable power gains I would use it again if Race Gas was unavailable.  In first place and making me a believer is Race Gas. I mixed one can to a tank of 91 and what a difference it made with the 93 tune. The car came alive and was making tons of power. The engine also sounded quieter and smoother than with Torco. I am going to try the Race Gas ultra next. It might be overkill as the normal Race Gas worked so well . I should have used my Dragy to have numbers to back up my butt dyno. Oh well next time. 

419qdSibWQL._AC_.jpg.2cbd56813102c7fe71d08183846d3447.jpgaccelerator_540x.thumb.png.b2f81dca3ba66fa2e14175f266040c4f.png61FFCz82oLL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.4fe4fb418fb2a7c832ca1aad126bcda5.jpg

61fzwVZmf6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

@037 i think uses Race gas ultra.....i think

• Like 1

Race gas has been the best reviewed of all these products, that I have seen.  If you want to get that 100+ octane kick, this is THE way to go.

If you want to simply buttress that 91 performance, you can also try BND Automotive's ACES IV formula for gasoline engines.  Brian has a wide variety of products for the engine and transmission, and they work well.  I was able to get 3+ degrees of timing on 87 in our 2010 F Sport.  You will notice the kick for sure.  http://bndautomotive.com/aces-formulas/aces-iv-gasoline-formula/

Call him, but be prepare to have your ear talked off ?

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, Bluestratos said:

I have read and observed that increasing octane does no good unless the vehicle is tuned for it.  Is this not true for the Edge, or are you referring to a modified vehicle? 

Generally speaking the ecoboost engines can take advantage of higher octane but the NA 3.5 cannot. Maybe some later 3.5s?

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2019 at 5:54 AM, Special_K said:

@037 i think uses Race gas ultra.....i think

Missed this...Ultra did nothing for the 2.7 or 3.0 as it was tuned for 100. 105...yea, that helped with timing. Livernois auto adjusts up but there is a limit. 93 tune works wonders on 100 octane just like 100 loves 105. 87 tune on 100 will just be same as 93 on 93.

• Thanks 1