Ford Edge 2nd Front Upper Strut Tower Bar Brace

HockeyShot39

29 minutes ago, Gadgetjq said:

It might help boost interest if you mention the brand, maybe offer a link to product information and ratings etc.  I'd be interested in seeing your review after the 50 mile test drive.

I have the same strut tower bar. It is manufactured by Carfield Enterprise and can be purchased from eBay.  I have a about 4-5K on my bar. It tightens up the front end.  It greatly reduces the flex in turns.  There is a night and day difference in handling.  @Xtra @Special_K @snmjim Have the same bar. Maybe they will chime in. 

IMG_20191203_132957.jpg

IMG_20191203_133001.jpg

IMG_20191203_133007.jpg

IMG_20191203_132953.jpg

Edited by onyxbfly
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, onyxbfly said:

I have the same strut tower bar. It is manufactured by Carfield Enterprise and can be purchased from eBay.  I have a about 4-5K on my bar. It tightens up the front end.  It greatly reduces the flex in turns.  There is a night and day difference in handling.  @Xtra @Special_K @snmjim Have the same bar. Maybe they will chime in. 

Xtra is best suited to chime in here considering he roads races his Edge through the CA canyons.

We have nothing to contribute Tech & Spec wise since we have yet to find an auto-cross track that will allow an SUV.

I guess they're reluctant because they're probably scared that we'll shame them...lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

When the Mulholland Snake was open I would go there a lot . By a lot I am talking 3 sets of tires in 24,000 miles!! It is a 2 mile hill climb and it is where I test the car because I know it so well. Most of the variables are out of the equation and the difference in time is mostly due to the parts change.  By adding this Strut Tower Brace, I was 4 seconds quicker to the the top than with just H&R springs. Faster times can be made by straightening out the road but I always stay in my lane and never cross the line. 4 seconds is a lot I have been trying to better my best time and finding just one more second has been allusive.

There is less effort when turning at speed and better control overall. Before the brace the front end would wonder about some under load in the corner as the front end flexed. I would have to make small steering adjustments constantly. The brace gives me more confidence and a more precision line around corners. The car sets now and holds the line making it easier to drive. Easier to drive in the twists and when on the highway when traveling at 60.70,80 MPH sudden lane changes ( like to avoid something ) it provides a measure of safety and control.  It works hand in hand with the H&R springs and I would recommend a Strut Tower Brace to anyone looking for better cornering and control. If you already have the H&R springs then this is the way to go it is an easy install.  
** If you do not push the car it makes no difference at all and this is what I am thinking happened here with HockyShot39.   If you  ever do push it  you will be happy you added this performance part.
Edited by Xtra
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Xtra said:

When the Mulholland Snake was open I would go there a lot . By a lot I am talking 3 sets of tires in 24,000 miles!! It is a 2 mile hill climb and it is where I test the car because I know it so well. Most of the variables are out of the equation and the difference in time is mostly due to the parts change.  By adding this Strut Tower Brace, I was 4 seconds quicker to the the top than with just H&R springs. Faster times can be made by straightening out the road but I always stay in my lane and never cross the line. 4 seconds is a lot I have been trying to better my best time and finding just one more second has been allusive.

There is less effort when turning at speed and better control overall. Before the brace the front end would wonder about some under load in the corner as the front end flexed. I would have to make small steering adjustments constantly. The brace gives me more confidence and a more precision line around corners. The car sets now and holds the line making it easier to drive. Easier to drive in the twists and when on the highway when traveling at 60.70,80 MPH sudden lane changes ( like to avoid something ) it provides a measure of safety and control.  It works hand in hand with the H&R springs and I would recommend a Strut Tower Brace to anyone looking for better cornering and control. If you already have the H&R springs then this is the way to go it is an easy install.  
** If you do not push the car it makes no difference at all and this is what I am thinking happened here with HockyShot39.   If you  ever do push it  you will be happy you added this performance part.

That last part 4 fold, if you do not push the car you will not feel a difference, and pushing is not qualified as doing 5 over the posted recommended speed of an exit turn,  more around the range of 60~80mph.  The chassis really struggles to control the weight, this bar stiffens it up ever so much to make it more predictable and sure footed.

• Like 4

On 12/3/2019 at 1:18 PM, Gadgetjq said:

It might help boost interest if you mention the brand, maybe offer a link to product information and ratings etc.  I'd be interested in seeing your review after the 50 mile test drive.

I am unsure of the brand, I bought it from a small auto shop in NY while on a family reunion trip, I honestly never asked about the brand. 

it added more stiffness, but I’m getting out of my edge due to 3 oil pan leaks, and will not be going back to ford so I won’t  need it 

I haven’t found this online anywhere, so if anyone has info to add, that would be great 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, HockeyShot39 said:

It added more stiffness, but I’m getting out of my edge due to 3 oil pan leaks, and will not be going back to ford so I won’t  need it 

The oil pan on the 2.7EB has been a problem with several of us . This topic has been covered in detail here and Fords instructions on the fix need to be followed to the letter. The problem is how well the dealership follows Fords instructions. It is a easy job, it just cannot be rushed and done in a day. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HockeyShot39 said:

I’m getting out of my edge due to 3 oil pan leaks, and will not be going back to ford so I won’t  need it.

The easiest way to voice your displeasure with a company is to vote with your wallet and not patronize them. We both know in the grand scheme of things Ford doesn't care if you or me or everyone on this forum were to get out of their edges due to whatever problem they may have.   After all its the number one selling CUV in the country.  Regardless if one buys it new, or they buy it used.

But the key point is that they will not get any more of your money.

I salute you. 

May your next vehicle provide you the comfort, safety, and reliability that you expected, and many of us receive from our edges.

Edited by onyxbfly
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Xtra said:

The oil pan on the 2.7EB has been a problem with several of us . This topic has been covered in detail here and Fords instructions on the fix need to be followed to the letter. The problem is how well the dealership follows Fords instructions. It is a easy job, it just cannot be rushed and done in a day. 

Leaked one week after I bought it - turns out it had two leaks with the previous owner and a short block replacement. One dealership had it 3 weeks, leaked 2 weeks later, another dealership had it 2.5 weeks, now when I have the heat on it smells like burning oil half the time, and I get an oil leak every now and then, in addition when I shift from P to R or D I can hear the gear shifting kinda loudly 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 6 months later...
On 12/4/2019 at 3:21 PM, Xtra said:

It took a ford tech two tries to get it right for my car so yeah it has to be done right! 

• Like 1