Battery Issues

Dead battery!! I have a feeling I'm singing an old tune based on all the comments that I'm finding on these forums. Ford has got some serious issues with their batteries dying on people for no reason. I've had to have my battery jumped probably 13 times in the last 6 months. absolutely ridiculous. and you only get the runaround from the dealership. And I've had it! Yes The battery has been checked over and over. No one can find anything wrong. Another issue that keeps coming up is the door sensor. Although the door is shut,  the Sensor says it isn't. And even when the 'Door Open' warning is off and you think all is well...your battery dies just the same! Over and over again. Everything is unplugged, no warning lights on, I go out to start my car yesterday and BAM! Battery DEAD. Call roadside they come out and charge the battery, I let it run for over a half hour, shut it off. Wake up this morning, go out to start the car...you got it BATTERY DEAD!!!  

On 12/23/2019 at 11:16 AM, Krieger285 said:

Dead battery!! I have a feeling I'm singing an old tune based on all the comments that I'm finding on these forums. Ford has got some serious issues with their batteries dying on people for no reason. I've had to have my battery jumped probably 13 times in the last 6 months. absolutely ridiculous. and you only get the runaround from the dealership. And I've had it! Yes The battery has been checked over and over. No one can find anything wrong. Another issue that keeps coming up is the door sensor. Although the door is shut,  the Sensor says it isn't. And even when the 'Door Open' warning is off and you think all is well...your battery dies just the same! Over and over again. Everything is unplugged, no warning lights on, I go out to start my car yesterday and BAM! Battery DEAD. Call roadside they come out and charge the battery, I let it run for over a half hour, shut it off. Wake up this morning, go out to start the car...you got it BATTERY DEAD!!!  

What Model / Year is yours?

I have two Fords in our home, a 2017 and a 2015 and both have their original batteries with no sign of a problem.

I frequent this forum and the S550 Mustang forum and have not read what you say you are finding regarding the premature failure of the batteries - please post a link to such threads on here and elsewhere.

Kreiger,

You need to do two things.

1. Do a parasitic battery drain test.  You'll find numerous videos on YouTube along with online tutorials and the only tool you need is a multimeter.  Here's a link to one test method:  https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/car-batterydrain

That's pretty much the only way you'll be able to figure out exactly what's pulling the life out of your battery.  If you don't have a multimeter, get one.  They're not expensive, in fact Harbor Freight literally gives them away.

2. Get yourself a modern emergency jump start battery.  They're inexpensive and can be stored in the glove box or with the spare tire (depending how often you need it).  Here's an example: https://amzn.to/2ZoYUSY

That's the one I have and, while it hasn't been needed for my Edge (yet) it 'has' started numerous other vehicles without a hiccup.   No more calling for roadside service and no dealing with big cumbersome jumper cables that require another car. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeVic said:

My 2004 Crown Vic's batteries would last almost 6 years. 

In 2004 the job of a battery was to start the car and provide a steady voltage to run lighting and a radio. 
In today's cars it's constantly supplying power to 'always on' modules waiting for signals from a remote to start or unlock doors, monitor wifi for system updates, open/close the hatch and probably a lot more.  There's so much drain that the Edge will actually put itself to sleep after several days of non operation just to preserve power for a future start.  When that happens you get a message on your screen telling you hibernation mode (or shipping mode) is in effect.  Even then something's on and waiting for a door unlock signal.

It's not an easy life being an automotive battery these days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/24/2019 at 6:34 PM, Krieger285 said:

The battery IS new. Even new car owners are having the exact same issue. 

I would also like to see a link to this.  

As a owner if a 2019 Edge SEL, which we purchased in May of 2019, haven't had any problems with the battery as of yet.   I do however put the battery on a smart battery changer once a month.  Did that with our last car and almost got nine years out of the battery.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

I would also like to see a link to this.  

As a owner if a 2019 Edge SEL, which we purchased in May of 2019, haven't had any problems with the battery as of yet.   I do however put the battery on a smart battery changer once a month.  Did that with our last car and almost got nine years out of the battery.  

There have been numerous issues with in batteries new vehicles for the last decade.  Most don’t last more than 3-4 years.  Climate makes a difference and putting it on the charger should help a lot.  

There have been a few edge specific issues that drain the battery prematurely including a bad park shift sensor.

• Like 2

• 1004ron changed the title to Battery Issues