Sync 3.0 Very Sluggish and Nav Freezes

2016 Edge SEL. I'm on Sync 3.0, build 19205. I didn't do the 19205 update myself, it must have been over the air.

The whole Sync system is very sluggish, it can take 10-15 seconds after pushing an on screen choice before it responds. This is all through the Sync system: audio, nav, everything. It was never like this before.

The NAV screen freezes often, then takes off with a jolt and catches up. Sometimes, the map goes blank, then reappears. This makes it useless for navigation function.

If I do a reset, how far back will it take me? Or any other suggestions.

Thanks.

12 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

You are not on the latest version of Sync3.  3.3 is the latest official revision.  You can get 3.4 also, but so far, at your own risk.

SYNC3 version 3.0 is the latest there is for a 16.  Version 3.2 and above is only for 19 Edge and up.  Ford will never officially release 3.2 or above for any 16-18 Edge.

For the OP, if you have an extended warranty take it in and get it checked.  They likely will replace the APIM.  If you don't have a warranty you are probably going to have to get the APIM replaced on your own.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the dealer ordered the APIM, he concurred with jmr061's diagnosis. I've got the car back, awaiting the part.

Getting there wasn't so easy. I brought the car in Tuesday morning, as the appointment called for. They didn't look at the car until today, Friday. I've never experienced that before. They claimed they were incredibly backed up, and had no loaner cars available.

I'm not looking forward to when I bring the car back for the installation, to have to go through this again.

16 hours ago, normkol said:

Well, the dealer ordered the APIM, he concurred with jmr061's diagnosis. I've got the car back, awaiting the part.

Getting there wasn't so easy. I brought the car in Tuesday morning, as the appointment called for. They didn't look at the car until today, Friday. I've never experienced that before. They claimed they were incredibly backed up, and had no loaner cars available.

I'm not looking forward to when I bring the car back for the installation, to have to go through this again.

Glad they are working on fixing it but wow, thats some bad customer service, Tuesday appt, keeping it till Friday to finally look at it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here it is two weeks later and still no APIM. The dealer claims Ford does not release these that quickly and it could take a while longer, no exact guess.

Has anyone gotten a new APIM from a dealer? If so, how long did it take to get it?

This whole mess is getting ridiculous. It's almost a month since I first called for an appointment.

It's a good thing I have Android Auto, as I have had to use Waze a couple of times during this. Interestingly, that works fine. I guess the APIM doesn't control the Android Auto apps.

There may be some truth to it or not.  Considering how many 2020 vehicles that are in production that use the SYNC3 APIM, The APIM may have not been routed from production to parts/ repair etc.    If you really want to see if there is a shortage. Surf the web and call random part suppliers and see if you can source one on your own. It would have to be a legit, authorized part. If you can buy it, the dealership will install it. The dealership will reimburse you.  Ford will reimburse the dealership. 

• 4 weeks later...

Latest update...

It's now 6 weeks since the part was ordered, still not in. The service advisor, who is not responsive at all (I always have to call him, he has never called me back), is saying he doesn't think the APIM will be covered under the Premium Care extended warranty.

I looked at the list of covered components and it shows both navigation and Sync to be covered. He also doesn't know why the part is taking so long to come in.

This is going to be fun.

CARR142, how long did it take to get the APIM each time you had it replaced?

Btw, bummer that you have had to do it twice. I see in the latest Consumer Reports reliability ratings the Edge gets a poor rating for in-car electronics. It's too bad, since the Sync system is great when it is working.

Well, hopefully this saga has come to a happy ending.

I got called on Tuesday that the apim was in, scheduled installation for today, Thursday.

I waited for it, it seemed much more organized and relaxed at the service department than when I had been there in January. Two hours and it was done.

As a bonus, the new apim came with the updated navigation, so I didn't have to pay for that. Just the $50 deductible of my Premiere plan.

I just realized, the maps are 1 17, not the latest 1 18. I didn't even know 1 17 existed. It's still a big step up from the 1 14 the car came with.

Edited by normkol

• 1 year later...

A replacement APIM will fix the problem, but if your car is out of warranty that's an expensive solution.

In my case, updating Sync 3 to the latest map data solved the problem (note: updating the OS to the latest version doesn't replace the map data).

I noticed that sync worked fine while Android Auto was running. And since Android Auto disables the Sync navigation I guessed that the problem is due to corrupted map data.

It was a $100 gamble that buying the latest map data would fix it, but it paid off. The system works perfectly now. Ford probably doesn't want to admit that this is the problem because they don't want to give the map data away for free, and don't want to admit that it's prone to corruption.

Of course, there could be other reasons why Sync misbehaves. Before wasting $100 on the maps, make sure that Sync is responsive while running CarPlay or Android Auto. That should confirm that it's the maps.