Dealer PTU response.. never changed fluid?

SevenBizzos

Been on awhile, and posting first time. 

2018 Sport

I called my local dealer to have the PTU fluid changed.  The service manager said they've never changed fluid in a PTU.  That it can not be done.  I mentioned to him that most everyone I've heard from recommends this at 20k-30k.  He said the only work he's ever seen on a PTU is a seal replacement and total replacement. 

This is a pretty big dealership and has been in business a long time 

What gives here?

3 hours ago, SevenBizzos said:

Been on awhile, and posting first time. 

2018 Sport

I called my local dealer to have the PTU fluid changed.  The service manager said they've never changed fluid in a PTU.  That it can not be done.  I mentioned to him that most everyone I've heard from recommends this at 20k-30k.  He said the only work he's ever seen on a PTU is a seal replacement and total replacement. 

This is a pretty big dealership and has been in business a long time 

What gives here?

Welcome.

Not all dealerships are smart, and they probably don't know that the later models PTU's have a drain plug, and its not in the standard maintenance schedule.

There's many reports on the forum confirming that dealerships have done the PTU oil changes.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1004ron changed the title to Dealer PTU response.. never changed fluid?

Ford claims the PTU contains a lifetime lubricant but then (2015 and later) adds a drain so.....
Curiously, some dealers are fine with changing the lube (for a fee) while others balk so either find one that'll do the work, locate a decent transmission shop or do it yourself. It's not rocket science.  I think you'll find a recommendation for the proper lubricant in your owner's manual.

• Like 1

I did mine a couple days ago.  I have a 2018 Titanium and it DID have a drain plug.  It was a bit of a pain to get to so make sure the exhaust isn't hot as you will be working around it.  It takes a 3/8 ratchet wrench to get the fill plug out and you can only do barely 1/8th turns so it takes a while to get until it will spin freely by hand.  The drain plug was a 1/4" allen key (I used an allen wrench.)   

Some advise.   Wrap the exhaust pipe area where the fluid will drain down with aluminum foil before you pull the plugs.  Cover a large enough area that will keep the oil draining out from getting onto the pipes and flanges.  This first time I just drained it down onto the pipes and even after extensive cleaning with brake cleaner it still took two days of commuting before the nasty smell of burning gear oil dissipated.  

All in all... was a pretty simple job with the right tools and a $8 pump from the local auto parts store.   I used mobil-1 full synthetic 75w140 and today my Amsoil Severe Gear 75w140 showed up.  Next oil change I will swap out the mobile 1 because it should only take about 15 minutes to service the PTU since I understand how to do it now.

There's a very good video on the PTU fluid change requirement from a ford tech on youtube.  He explains why NOT to listen to the dealers recommendation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS9JPaf1MDg

Edited by Sledwrecker
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 6 months later...

I’ve been to 2 Ford dealers.  The one I bought the Edge from happily changed the fluid along with a trans flush.  Then I moved and the 2nd one had no clue about the PTU changes and said it was uneccesary cause it’s lifetime...  so I went to Firestone ($100) and although they had never done one, they listened to my explanation from the forum and they did it.  I’m going back now 30K later for another change this month.

You’d think a service advisor would read some Ford vehicle forums just to keep up on what owners were finding. Their service centers try to upsell everything under the sun as it is anyway...

All I can say is to try an independent shop if your dealer refuses like my local one did.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...