Car won't accelerate when pressing the gas

I have a 2007 Ford Edge AWD SEL 3.5 L with 180,000 miles

Last time I drove it, multiple times the rpm surged 1000 over, stayed there for a few seconds, then dropped down to normal. While this surge was happening, no acceleration was attained by pressing the gas pedal.

By the time I got to work, the car barely moved when giving it gas. This happened all of a sudden, no previous symptoms such as grinding or slipping gears.

It can easily shift into any gear with no clunking sounds, but doesn't move, just feels like its in neutral. There is a strange hollow sound when giving it gas but no other notable sounds or movement. When giving it gas, the rpm stays high for a few seconds after releasing the pedal, then drops down to the normal idle rpm.

I've replaced a few parts over the last year:

-Spark plugs and coils

-PCV valve

-TSS and OSS sensors + fresh ATF (the old ATF was clean though) -- When I took it apart, the screens appeared clean in the case

-MAF sensor

-Throttle position sensor

I can only guess what is wrong with it as there are no codes or check engine light.

I did have the MAF sensor uplugged for a month or so, and to explain why, this is my previous post (different problem, never quite solved it and it could be related somehow). It has been plugged in recently though.

https://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/28502-vibratingshuddering-while-accelerating-around-a-corner-at-lower-speeds-oddly-remedied-by-unplugging-the-maf-sensor/

Any insight or even wild guesses are greatly appreciated.

Update:

Now the car runs for only a few seconds before dying. I was going to check the ATF level, so shifted between all the gears while parked with the car running. Well after shifting to low gear and then back up to park (slowly between gears), the car just died. Now it starts fine, runs for a few seconds, then dies. No codes still.

On 7/30/2020 at 3:55 PM, Perblue said:

If someone revs it, it you are able to, do you feel much increased exhaust out the tail pipe? Could be a cat or cats are plugged up.

I tested it out and the exhaust seems normal, no smoke or weird odors and a healthy wind. Though I did get a P0420 code months ago, cleared it and it never came back. Could be the cat is getting old

check the cats when fully warmed up, to see if they are glowing hot.  or bang on them gently with a rubber mallet.  these are the two typical methods of direct diagnosis of a bad cat (or two in this case).

when did this issue arise?  can you provide a timeline of the issue in relation to the parts replacement?

unplugging the maf sensor is not a problem, as the pcm will relearn as you drive once the sensor is plugged back in.

with all the parts you have replaced, and the trans fluid being clean, you should be looking at live data with an OBD adapter and Forscan Lite or similar app.  For example, does the car stay in gear while accelerating or does it go to neutral, in which case engine revs would rise but there would be no acceleration.  check the range sensor.  there is a TSB that shows you how, pretty straightforward if you have already done a tss/oss job. 

another possibility is the problem lies in the SBA or VB.  you can check the SBA electrically, but the VB is all mechanical.

did you use motorcraft sensors and are you sure the wires did not get pinched?  i think the logical step would be to re-examine the work, and take a closer look at the VB/SBA.  of these two, the SBA is much more likely, but the VB has occasionally had issues with a stuck piston.

sure brakes are not dragging?  many times if the caliper slide pins are not serviced, they lead to all kinds of problems.

On 7/30/2020 at 1:46 PM, oldtownroller said:

Now it starts fine, runs for a few seconds, then dies. No codes still.

8 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

sure brakes are not dragging?  many times if the caliper slide pins are not serviced, they lead to all kinds of problems.

Considering the above i'm betting not brakes.

• 2 months later...

Camshaft Positioning Sensor. I'll bet my last dollar on it. I had a Nissan Altima once upon a time. When any electrical component started to go or was changed with a non OEM part (specifically sensors), this would throw the entire car out of whack. 

The cam shaft sensors specifically, were among the worst to diagnose. I went about 10 months at one point where to the car would go into a fail safe mode, throwing no codes but traction control and wouldnt move. There was no take off to it at all. 

Lesson Learned for me; don't cheap out on electrical components. 

woops, my apologies for opening an old post.

@oldtownroller I had 2 mechanic shops diagnose my tranny in my car as the same. I knew it wasn't right. It would run beautifully sometimes and other times would go into the fail safe mode 3 seconds out of the driveway. Regardless, hopefully you moved on to nicer and better things :)

Cheers

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

My 07AWD Edge just let me down on the freeway I'm going 75ish and all at once you can't give it gas, no check engine light came , it didn't die, the rpms all stayed the same,just couldn't give it gas , shut it off a second it would start back but it would take longer than normal, took forever to get home, what's up now???

15 hours ago, DebraChambliss-Gilbert said:

My 07AWD Edge just let me down on the freeway I'm going 75ish and all at once you can't give it gas, no check engine light came , it didn't die, the rpms all stayed the same,just couldn't give it gas , shut it off a second it would start back but it would take longer than normal, took forever to get home, what's up now???

Get the stored error codes read and go from there.

1 hour ago, DebraChambliss-Gilbert said:

The check engine light doesn't come on, it will shift into drive just fine but no acceleration, just like the pedal is not attached.

There could be stored error codes, but you'll only know that if you check.

Does it respond to the throttle when in park or neutral?