2016 Edge Sport Battery Dead - put in new - strange side effects

Our 4 year old 2016 Ford Edge Sport's OEM battery died.  Dead.  It read 8.2 volts.  Bought a new battery, installed it.  (Total battery dead time car had was ~30 hours I would say.)  Everything seemed fine.  Clicks and such from under the hood when I connected the leads, lights came on, etc.  Started right up.  But, the Climate Control was not working correctly.  Outside temperature reading on dash was 84 degrees.  Setting for temperature on the system was "HI".  I turned it down to 70 degrees F, and the air was diverted to the floor output and the air temp coming out was warm/hot.  Only way to get cooling was to engage "Max A/C" and the output diverted to the dash and cold air was plentiful.  So I know the A/C compressor is working.

I brought the climate controls up on the touch screen, and various combinations there produced the same result.  I plan on checking it today after work after the car set all night (with a good battery).  Maybe there is a sensor in the dash that needs to re-calibrate, or be powered on for a while.

I searched the net, found this video that indicates codes needs to be reset, including the Battery Monitoring System (BMS).  My Innova OBD code reader is not up to the task.

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi3iFtmp3H0>

Anyone know how to reset the BMS without visiting the dealer?  Might have to go to the dealer anyway if the Climate Control issue does not get resolved.

Thanks - Doug

To reset the battery management system for the new battery, either a dealer can do it (or anyone with Ford's IDS) or using ForScan. It's a free application on the PC that needs a compatible adapter. Not sure if your adapter works with it or not. Check ForScan.org 

Regarding the outside temp display and the odd operation of the HVAC, try to disconnect the battery for a few minutes. Sometimes electronics need resetting to work correctly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the response.  I am happy to report that the after sitting overnight, the Climate Control works great now.  No resetting occurred, just the passage of time.

I will check ForScan.org for information - I appreciate that.  It might be that the battery management system on our car does not get reset.   In another ~4 years I will get a quote from a Ford dealer to install a battery and get it reset then.

Doug

• Like 2

22 hours ago, omar302 said:

To reset the battery management system for the new battery, either a dealer can do it (or anyone with Ford's IDS) or using ForScan. It's a free application on the PC that needs a compatible adapter. Not sure if your adapter works with it or not. Check ForScan.org 

Regarding the outside temp display and the odd operation of the HVAC, try to disconnect the battery for a few minutes. Sometimes electronics need resetting to work correctly.

Not trying to hijack the topic, but since you suggested using FORScan, I have a few questions. You mention that it is free, I assume you are referring to FORScan for Windows.  Looks like the version that is free is a beta version. Are the licenses that they sell  for  their current production version?   Do you or should anyone have concern about using a beta version?  Does the beta version do everything and possibly more than the licensed version?

Thanks

2 hours ago, BillE said:

Not trying to hijack the topic, but since you suggested using FORScan, I have a few questions. You mention that it is free, I assume you are referring to FORScan for Windows.  Looks like the version that is free is a beta version. Are the licenses that they sell  for  their current production version?   Do you or should anyone have concern about using a beta version?  Does the beta version do everything and possibly more than the licensed version?

Thanks

ForScan is currently only a Beta. You can get a 2 months license for free. Renewable for the time being. The license would enable a few more functions, namely changing As Built Data for Ford/Lincoln vehicles. There is no issues with the beta version as long as you be careful of what your doing and always backup.

If you are interested in more info, you should go through there website & forums. Also this post on the Fusion forums has good info:

http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=4573

• Like 1

bud-d- Timely post for me and my 2016 Ti. I wanted to pro-actively change my battery, but was going to try a different approach. I was going to hook my battery tender Jr. on the battery leads before I disconnect the battery for the change over. I was going to make sure they connection was well insulated to avoid shorts and then slip in the new battery and re-establish the leads. I wondered if this could also be accomplished with the use of a cigarette adapter into the 12 volt receptacle in the vehicle. I thought I read in a previous post here or elsewhere that those receptacles go dormant after only a few minutes, so if true I am not that fast and don't want to risk it. Anyone know if the 12 volt receptacles do indeed go dead / inoperative after a short period of time?  

12 minutes ago, Chipster said:

bud-d- Timely post for me and my 2016 Ti. I wanted to pro-actively change my battery, but was going to try a different approach. I was going to hook my battery tender Jr. on the battery leads before I disconnect the battery for the change over. I was going to make sure they connection was well insulated to avoid shorts and then slip in the new battery and re-establish the leads. I wondered if this could also be accomplished with the use of a cigarette adapter into the 12 volt receptacle in the vehicle. I thought I read in a previous post here or elsewhere that those receptacles go dormant after only a few minutes, so if true I am not that fast and don't want to risk it. Anyone know if the 12 volt receptacles do indeed go dead / inoperative after a short period of time?  

Battery tenders only supply output when connected to the battery. You need a true DC source for what you want to do. A booster pack and an obd2 adapter work nicely.

Booster Power Pack

Memory Saver OBD2 connector

34 minutes ago, handfiler said:

Battery tenders only supply output when connected to the battery. You need a true DC source for what you want to do. A booster pack and an obd2 adapter work nicely.

Booster Power Pack

Memory Saver OBD2 connector

I've used this approach on my S2000 Honda and it worked fine. No loss of voltage to the radio security system and you don't want that, believe me. 

11 minutes ago, akirby said:

I just changed the battery on our 2016 MKX (4.5 years - a record for us!).  I didn’t do anything and everything works as before.  Did not have to do anything.  The battery was out for over 1 hour.

That's good to know AK, what did you replace it with? (Brand & Group no.) It hear that two different sizes will fit. Looks like the longer battery might be more of a PIA.

16 minutes ago, akirby said:

I just changed the battery on our 2016 MKX (4.5 years - a record for us!).  I didn’t do anything and everything works as before.  Did not have to do anything.  The battery was out for over 1 hour.

I think it's hit and miss whether or not you lose the memory settings. Keeping the cables apart during the process definitely helps. Using a memory saver ensures you wont have any issues.

Edited by handfiler

There is nothing on the manual regarding special procedures for removing the battery. Simply disconnect & remove. Reverse to install. If installing a new battery, reset the BMS. Nothing else.

I heard of some other makes that require a special procedure when replacing the battery due to electronics, but not on the Edge. Also, the radio presets and memory seat positions are not lost in the Edge. At lease for me they aren't.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, akirby said:

The difference is that our battery was dead, and still in the Edge for at least a day.  I put the battery on a 1.5 amp battery tender, and that did not help at all.  The tender did not indicate the battery was bad, just half way discharged.

We did not loose radio presets, memory seat settings, etc.  Just the Climate Control was messed up, but as I said above, it worked fine the next day.

Thanks - Doug

5 hours ago, omar302 said:

There is nothing on the manual regarding special procedures for removing the battery. Simply disconnect & remove. Reverse to install. If installing a new battery, reset the BMS. Nothing else...

Ahhh, but the reset of the BMS  is the rub, at least for me. I don't have the means to do that. AK you indicate that you did nothing beyond the battery change. Did you reset the control module on your vehicle?

1 hour ago, Chipster said:

Ahhh, but the reset of the BMS  is the rub, at least for me. I don't have the means to do that. AK you indicate that you did nothing beyond the battery change. Did you reset the control module on your vehicle?

Yes. I did. I used ForScan to do it.

• Like 1