2015 Edge Sport 2.7 Ecoboost - Code P1450 - Purge valve

druegeme

Hi!

Glad to be here. Purchased a used 2015 Edge Sport with 29k miles two weeks ago from dealer.

Love the car. The 2.7 twin turbo is awesome.

Check Engine light came on. Went to Oreilly autoparts they connected a code scanner and it showed P1450 twice.

Also I got a 'burping' sound from rear once, it was weird. The check engine light turned off afterwards but came on again.

I am no dummy so I do understand that there is something going on vacuum wise in the tank or evap system.

My question: should I just change the purge valve or is there perhaps more to it?

I found that the purge valve for the 3.7 is not the old 20-bucks part but it is a whole assembly for 80 dollars.

Any advice?

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 9/19/2018 at 10:16 PM, druegeme said:

Hi!

Glad to be here. Purchased a used 2015 Edge Sport with 29k miles two weeks ago from dealer.

Love the car. The 2.7 twin turbo is awesome.

Check Engine light came on. Went to Oreilly autoparts they connected a code scanner and it showed P1450 twice.

Also I got a 'burping' sound from rear once, it was weird. The check engine light turned off afterwards but came on again.

I am no dummy so I do understand that there is something going on vacuum wise in the tank or evap system.

My question: should I just change the purge valve or is there perhaps more to it?

I found that the purge valve for the 3.7 is not the old 20-bucks part but it is a whole assembly for 80 dollars.

Any advice?

Just had this same code on my 2015 Mustang EB, and it turned out to be the evap purge valve. After swapping it and clearing the code, all has been well for about 500 miles now. From my research, this is a common problem on Ford vehicles, and more so on EB power plants.

Edited by Rob0381
  • Like 2

I had a similar set of faults on my Fusion when I still had it. Evap Purge Valve assembly is a usual culprit. Took me about an hour to change due to tight clearances around the disconnect areas, but after changing it, the light turned off. No need to clear the codes.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Same issue with my wife's Edge Sport. Having very hard time finding part online. I had a Bosch in the car, but would like the Ford part number as well. Found one replacement on Auto Zone, but when got to cart, said not available. Thanks!

IMG_5147.jpg

IMG_5148.PNG

Edited by gvplun01
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, BWBESport said:

Ok, so I finally found one in stock at Rock Auto. And it’s was cheaper than anywhere else.  

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2015,edge,2.7l+v6+turbocharged,3310415

I had this same issue on my fusion when I had it. The self sealing fuel door was sounding like it was farting or vibrating because of the bad valve. Glad to know it's a similar issue here. 

On 10/28/2019 at 7:48 PM, Pmeek said:

Please excuse my ignorance. Do I need the fuel vapor separator valve solenoid Or purge valve or are they the same part? Do I need the entire tube assembly? Thank you in advance 

The one for my fusion came with the tubes attached. 
This was the part I replaced on my fusion

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2013,fusion,2.0l+l4+turbocharged,2002842,exhaust+&+emission,vapor+canister+purge+valve+/+solenoid,4936

looks like they have a different listing for the different engine types of the 2015 Edge. Not sure why but the 2.7L looks most similar to what i had to replace on my 2013 Fusion 2.0. 
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2015,edge,2.7l+v6+turbocharged,3310415,exhaust+&+emission,vapor+canister+purge+valve+/+solenoid,4936

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BWBESport said:

I installed it this afternoon, less than a 10 min job. I hope my video helps. 

Great video.

Something I've changed when removing and replacing the engine cover, ....... I leave the oil filler cap in place, because the rubber grommet clears it easily and there's less risk of dust dropping into the engine.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mvan231 said:

I had this same issue on my fusion when I had it. The self sealing fuel door was sounding like it was farting or vibrating because of the bad valve. Glad to know it's a similar issue here. 

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2013,fusion,2.0l+l4+turbocharged,2002842,exhaust+&+emission,vapor+canister+purge+valve+/+solenoid,4936

looks like they have a different listing for the different engine types of the 2015 Edge. Not sure why but the 2.7L looks most similar to what i had to replace on my 2013 Fusion 2.0. 
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2015,edge,2.7l+v6+turbocharged,3310415,exhaust+&+emission,vapor+canister+purge+valve+/+solenoid,4936

Thats exactly what it was doing after every fill up. I get about a mile from the gas station and the fuel door would make the same sound. Sometimes it would even stall. I haven’t driven it anywhere yet sense the install yesterday. But the check engine light went out while I let it run in the driveway. 

I made the video because I couldn’t find one for my specific engine application. Other engines and years seem to have different parts and locations.  This seems to be a very common problem and the parts are out of stock often. Wasn’t sure if this was the best place to post the video to help others with the same problem. 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 6:49 AM, mvan231 said:

turned out to be the solenoid part that looks like an octopus. So far, haven’t had any issues since it was replaced. 

• Like 1

After I replaced the bad one last weekend I came across a thread about cleaning and lubing the old part. Basically the valve gets stuck in one position. Which cases the excessive vacuum. So supposedly you can just spray a bunch of WD40 down the hoses into the valve and just let it soak. I did exactly that and I put the old part in the box and into the cabinet. Might need it down the road. ??‍♂️

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2019 at 7:18 PM, BWBESport said:

After I replaced the bad one last weekend I came across a thread about cleaning and lubing the old part. Basically the valve gets stuck in one position. Which cases the excessive vacuum. So supposedly you can just spray a bunch of WD40 down the hoses into the valve and just let it soak. I did exactly that and I put the old part in the box and into the cabinet. Might need it down the road. ??‍♂️

Nice! Good idea! I'll keep this in mind when mine inevitably goes bad too

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

Check engine light with code P144a. purge valve. CNA bumper to bumper warranty does NOT cover. Parts department gives me a assembly including the purge valve. Going to install myself. Assembly lines are not even close to fitting. Part numbers are identical on new and old valve. Back to dealer, part is nonreturnable.  Speaking with parts, there appears to be 2 purge valves on the vehicle!  One on engine and one on gas tank.  The part I was sold, I believe was for the gas tank.  All youtube videos address engine valve only.  Has anyone replaced purge valve on gas tank of a 2015 Ford Edge Sport, 2.7L turbo?  Thank you.

• 1004ron changed the title to 2015 Edge Sport 2.7 Ecoboost - Code P1450 - Purge valve
  • 4 months later...

Hey guys. I have code P1450 from the PCM on my 2015. “Failure to bleed up fuel tank vacuum”. And very hard to start after filling up with fuel. 
I used forscan to check that the purge valve on top of the engine is operating, and also the tank vent solenoid in the evap canister. The solenoid is opening and closing. The purge valve, I removed and with no power I cannot blow through it. With 12v applied I can blow through. But, the other piece attached to the purge valve, with that attached I can only blow a very small amount through before the flapper inside shuts.

Is there a common fix here? Or something I can check before taking to dealer?

Edited by tmarsh
  • Like 1

• 1004ron changed the title to 2015 Edge Sport 2.7 Ecoboost - Code P1450 - Purge valve