oil change - fully synthetic or blend?

Matthew123

have 19 edge sel 15,000 been getting oil changes every 5000 miles first time used synthetic at 10,000 they put in semi blend but from now on want to put in full synthetic whats the difference in using full synthetic then semi blend if im still changing oil every 5,000 miles? i was told only to use full synthetic whats wrong with the semi blend ? 

• 1004ron changed the title to oil change - fully synthetic or blend?

I cannot answer your direct question, but. I have a 2019 edge ST, my owners manual states to use blend. I know a lot of people use full synthetic, and not that Ford engineers know everything but they spent a lot of money on what works best, so that’s what I use in mine. Just my opinion

Full synthetic is superior to a blend, and most Ford dealerships will have the option of full synthetic at an additional cost.

Check your owners manual and you'll see that Ford Engineers also recommend full synthetic.

Bear in mind, all manufacturers advertise the annual maintenance figures, .......any guess how they arrive at the lowest figure?

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 5.07.51 PM.jpg

• Like 1

The Owner's Manual states semi-synthetic OR full synthetic.  There is never any reason choose semi-synthetic over full synthetic.  However, the Motorcraft (ConocoPhillips) semi-synthetic is a good oil that will provide satisfactory service.

Always so much teeth gnashing over oil.

2 hours ago, todd92 said:

The Owner's Manual states semi-synthetic OR full synthetic.  There is never any reason choose semi-synthetic over full synthetic.  However, the Motorcraft (ConocoPhillips) semi-synthetic is a good oil that will provide satisfactory service.

Always so much teeth gnashing over oil.

i just am on side of caution turbos run hotter therefore i think full syn is better for them imo

On 11/13/2020 at 4:52 PM, Sage said:

I cannot answer your direct question, but. I have a 2019 edge ST, my owners manual states to use blend. I know a lot of people use full synthetic, and not that Ford engineers know everything but they spent a lot of money on what works best, so that’s what I use in mine. Just my opinion

Ford does things that are the best overall decision, not necessarily the best possible decision. By that, I mean when they assemble engines and recommend owners use synthetic-blend oils, it's because that provides satisfactory lubrication but also keep the cost of maintenance low. As several others have said above me, usually full-synthetic is a better choice.

----

Full-synthetic oils usually are better in the "extremes", such as a lot of cold starts, extra heat due to turbocharging, or what qualifies as "harsh" conditions. What matters the absolute most is that you change the oil regularly, and use a good quality oil - Motorcraft branded oils are great quality, and be sure to stay away from the cheap stuff.

My buddy has an 08 Focus with 205,000 miles that's had regular 5,000mile oil changes with Motorcraft synth-blend, and the oil analysis recently came back with very good results.

• Like 2