Sitting in Idle and stalls out and oil pressure light comes on

Cwebb227

Sorry if there isn't to much detail on this post just trying to look for some  insight on an issue that I  had happen tonight:

I was sitting in a drive though to get food this evening and had just ordered my food and was waiting to head to the pick up window ( adding this for an estimated time frame for mindset) While sitting there with my foot on the break the car stalls out and turns off and the oil pressure low message shows up on my dash, and the car  would not turn back on at all.  I was  able to get it shifted into neutral and push it off to the side.  Oil levels were good and had it changed estimated 4ish months ago with full synthetic.  this has happened onw other time about a month ago.  The only way we got it to restart was to add a little bit more oil into it and it started and ran just fine. ( YES I KONW, YOU ARE NEVER TO OVER FILL)

The car acts totally fine no jerking or anything before it stalls it literally just turns off and doesn't restart.  I will be more then happy to answer any other questions that you may have regarding this issue, jsut wanted to reach out here before taking it to a dealer or what not.

I just bought the vehicle back in Dec, the previous owner took amazing care of it and did all the maintenance  when it was due and, I haven't really had any issues with it since buying it.  

The oil level has no impact on starting the engine, so the fact that it started after adding oil is coincidental. 

Best take it to a place like Autozone and have them read the stored error codes and post them here.

The oil light coming on when the engine stalls is to be expected as the oil pumps stops when the engine stops, so not a pointer to why it stalled.

• Like 2

What year? Mileage?  If maintenance done at Ford specified intervals, well ... :)

2 times it has stalled.  adding oil resolved both times?

I would check for codes, not all codes show up as a check engine light.  Normally I would point to throttle body, as that is a common reason for stalling, but really it could be anything.  Throttle body codes are erased upon successful restart, so it would behoove you to get a cheap OBD adapter + Forscan Lite software to read codes before attempting a restart.

given the MY and the symptom, there is a high probability the throttle body is at fault, assuming oil level/filter/weight are all good.  cheap to toss one in there.

idle control functions are integrated into the drive by wire electronic throttle body.

could also need a good cleaning of the MAF sensor (near airbox) and throttle body.  if the sensor has lost low range sensitivity, it will influence the idle, but I think the PCM would raise rpms to compensate, or maybe not.  the maf sensor is RAREly at fault tho.  clean it with MAF Sensor Cleaner or Electronics cleaner.  CRC brand s what i use.

Sadly,  your car would run without any oil for a while. Low oil level has nothing to do with it.  By the time you get to add oil to it whatever electronic module is bad has had time to cool down and will let you start the car.  It seems that you are saying this only happens when you are idling for a long time.  This would cause heat buildup in the engine compartment.   Does your engine run rough before stalling or does it just turn off?   Do your cooling fans work?  

• Like 2

• 3 years later...