Rear Differential Replacement

JoeKWV

Anybody have any experience with a rear differential replacement?  I have a 2013 with about 100k on it and dealer says rear diff is bad. It has a growl like a wheel bearing coming from rear of vehicle.  Dealer wants around $2k to for parts and install.  I was thinking of buying parts, roughly $900 and installing myself.  It doesn't look that difficult but I have heard that the computer may need reprogrammed once the new diff is installed?  I know this is the Edge forum but mine has been a total disappointment.  2 major drivetrain failures (PTU and rear differential) within 100k miles......this will be my first and last Ford vehicle.

Edited by JoeKWV
Spelling mistakes

it is strange to require a new RDU (Rear Differential Unit) at 100K. Maybe your Edge went in deep water.

I cannot comment on the labor required for changing the RDU, but the programming part is simply a code that needs to be entered into the PCM. The code would be on a sticker on the Active Torque Coupling (that is attached to the RDU). This can be done with ForScan, might need to email the developers to add it for your year if it is not their by default.

• Like 1

new RDUs are expensive, compared to the PTU.  The PTU is a simple gearbox, the RDU is like a mini transmission in that it has lubricated clutches and the ability to vary power to the wheels on demand. 

for a long time now, we have been trumpeting the need for regular fluid changes on these units, tho Ford only gives such guidance for police vehicles and vehicles in hot climates.  basically every 2/30K or less for the PTU, every 4/60K or less for the RDU.

shouldn't swear off Ford just for this.  it is a well known problem, but can be easily managed.  if you are thinking of doing the work yourself, you surely have the capability to refresh these fluids!

Reply to Omar302, the Edge has never been in deep water, we bought it new.

And for the other comment, personal experience if dropping 2 major power train components in 100k is definitely enough for me to swear off Ford.  I buy vehicles and maintain them properly with the intent of them lasting more than 100k.  99.9% of the miles on the Edge are interstate miles, which makes it even more frustrating.  But back to my original question, does anyone know if computer needs reflashed after replacing RDU?

4 hours ago, JoeKWV said:

Reply to Omar302, the Edge has never been in deep water, we bought it new.

And for the other comment, personal experience if dropping 2 major power train components in 100k is definitely enough for me to swear off Ford.  I buy vehicles and maintain them properly with the intent of them lasting more than 100k.  99.9% of the miles on the Edge are interstate miles, which makes it even more frustrating.  But back to my original question, does anyone know if computer needs reflashed after replacing RDU?

I did not defend Ford, just stated an observation due to how rare members departed failed RDUs on this Forum or several other Ford forums with similar powertrain designs (2011-2019 Explorer, Fusion, Flex, Taurus). Regarding the programming, see my post above, 2nd paragraph. In other words, yes, it needs programming as not entering this code might cause damage. The code needs to be entered in the PCM so it matched correctly due to manufacturing tolerances.

Edited by omar302

• 1 year later...

I read in these forums that somebody was asking about changing his Ford Fusion 2.0 ecoboost Awd rear differential. Some guy called Omar stated that if you change your RDU you need to reprogram it through Forscan?? Does anyone has an idea how it's done? It seems unreal to me but I am sure if it's done someone has an idea how.. 

Screenshot_20220322_181545_com.android.chrome.jpg

On 1/27/2021 at 10:44 PM, JoeKWV said:

Anybody have any experience with a rear differential replacement?  I have a 2013 with about 100k on it and dealer says rear diff is bad. It has a growl like a wheel bearing coming from rear of vehicle.  Dealer wants around $2k to for parts and install.  I was thinking of buying parts, roughly $900 and installing myself.  It doesn't look that difficult but I have heard that the computer may need reprogrammed once the new diff is installed?  I know this is the Edge forum but mine has been a total disappointment.  2 major drivetrain failures (PTU and rear differential) within 100k miles......this will be my first and last Ford vehicle.

Did you manage to program the PCM so your ford knows there is a new differantial? If so can you tell me how? 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

From the 2013 Edge Workshop Manual...

AWD Bar Code Identification

The AWD system on this vehicle is equipped with a bar coded ATC solenoid to reduce the tolerance of electrical current to torque delivered to the ATC solenoid. The active torque control coupling solenoid bar code can be found etched on the active torque control coupling solenoid wire harness connector protruding from the top of the rear drive axle. The PCM uses this bar code information to match the clutch characteristics of the active torque control coupling solenoid with the desired output torque. If the bar code information does not match the PCM information, driveline damage or driveability concerns can occur. Therefore, if the rear drive axle needs to be replaced, the PCM will need to be configured with the ATC solenoid bar code information. Carry out the AWD Drive Cycle.

imagen2.dll?id=N0145997&w=580&t=JPG

Item   Description  
1 ATC solenoid bar code

AWD Drive Cycle

Carry out the AWD drive cycle after downloading the ATC solenoid bar code information to the PCM.

NOTE: Always drive the vehicle in a safe manner according to driving conditions and obey all traffic laws.

1. Carry out 3 accelerations from 0-48 km/h (0-30 mph) in a straight line.
    • Perform this procedure at low, medium and full accelerator pedal position.
    • Verify that there is no perceived front wheel slip.
  1. On dry pavement, drive the vehicle at 8 km/h (5 mph) in a fully locked turn.
    • Verify that there is no driveline binding.

And...

Automatic Torque Coupling (ATC) Configuration

NOTE: This procedure only applies to vehicles built after 7/30/2012.

1. NOTICE: If the ATC bar code information is not correct, RDU damage or driveability concerns can occur.

Using the scan tool, under the toolbox icon select Powertrain then select ATC Barcode Entry. Follow the instructions displayed on the scan tool.
  1. For an aluminum cover Rear Differential Unit (RDU), enter the 4-digit numeric bar code found on the label located on the side of the RDU. The scan tool verifies the digits entered are valid and displays a message if the information is not valid.
imagen2.dll?id=N0160463&w=580&t=JPG
  1. For a steel cover RDU, enter the 4-digit numeric bar code found on the label located on the harness tag. The scan tool verifies the digits entered are valid and displays a message if the information is not valid.
imagen2.dll?id=N0138356&w=250&t=JPG
  1. Carry out the AWD drive cycle.

Good luck!
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Some useful info here but I'm guessing no one ever figured out how to enter the new axle code into the computer with FORScan?  I am replacing this with a new one (that's on back order thru Ford) it's a easy job just concerned about the reprogramming part, if anyone has found any steps to do it through Forscan, please help.  My 2016 Ford Edge also needs a new diff at 101,000miles, no it did not EVER go thru deep water and I change the oil in it every 30,000 miles.

• 1 year later...