picked up my new 2020 ST this afternoon

ben senise

2020 ST in Ford Performance Blue, 401A, 21" black wheels, cargo accessory package.

traded in my 2016 Edge Ti with cold weather package (heated steering wheel.)

i posted some questions in the ST sub-forum last week and got some useful help.

some impressions after a very small amount of driving time. i drove home from the dealer and now i just drove at night to check out the lighting. some preliminary thoughts:

- the headlights! wow, what a difference. incredible the low-beams are better on this car than the high-beams on the old one. the adaptive feature is subtle but it does work and increases visibility.

- the stereo is a vast improvement. much more crisp than the old one.

- the cooled seats started to freeze my gonads off in a matter of minutes. i'm thinking it might be nice in the summer although it never really gets that hot here.

- i really like the black headliner.

- the lane centering doesn't work that well on a curvy, hilly highway but i didn't expect it to.

- the adaptive cruise works well even on a curvy, hilly highway.

- of course i'm still in the break-in period so i don't stomp on the go-pedal but man, the torque is fantastic. 380 lb-ft vs 250 in the old edge. 50% more. wow.

- the bolsters the seat bottoms are much more pronounced. at first it felt strange but i already stopped noticing them after 15 minutes.

- the engine auto-start/stop is not as bad as i expected it to be. i didn't really even notice it after the first couple of times. i was thinking that i would buy that defeat gizmo but now i'm not so sure. let's see how it goes after a month or two.

- the steering feels somewhat heavier and the suspension tauter. feels nice.

i am happy so far.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

?.

Have you noticed anything that you had in the 2016 that's not present in the 2021?

yes! rattles and creaks!!! ?

another thing is the small drawer above the left knee but i took car of that.

the mirrors on the 2020 don't have small convex wide-angle mirrors in the corners.

other than that, nothing that i can think of.

Day 2 impressions: the built in navigation is horrible. difficult to use. doesn't have nearly the number of businesses that google maps does. and what on earth is with the incessant nagging about following traffic laws and being safe, etc., every time i start a route?!?!? My mother doesn't nag me that badly! and i can't find a setting to tell the nav to STFU except if there's a traffic alert like there is on google maps. and i'm doing 90 kph and the voice tells me to exit in 150m!!! sometimes it tells me to exit after i've already passed it. and it's a brand new car and the maps are outdated already. this nav sucks. android auto is infinitely better.

i de-badged the rear, and programmed the garage door opener. now i want to put the dash-cam in and my phone holder. bummer that android auto is not wireless so that i could just drop my phone onto the wireless charging pad. that would be sweet.

Edited by ben senise
grammar correction
  • Like 1

something else i noticed the other day that i don't see mentioned in the owner's manual; the heated seat and steering wheel settings stay on when you leave the car. i haven't noticed how long they stayed on since i noticed it after stopping at the hardware store and being inside for 10-15 minutes. i don't know how long it will keep the settings though.

this is one of those little things that is a nice improvement. it's not a huge deal but when you go out to run a few errands, stop to put gas in the car, etc., it's tedious to have to turn those things back on every time.

i'm wondering how far back this feature goes. it wasn't like that on my '16 Ti.

it's also kind of nice that the car automatically shifts into P when you turn off the engine.

and one more thing that is great is that you can get out of the manual selection mode in S without having to go from S to D and back again. Just hold the "+" paddle for a couple of seconds and you're back in automatic and still in S mode. i posted a question about that in this forum a while back to see if i could do that in the '16. 

Edited by ben senise
emphasized "settings" for clarity
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2021 at 6:50 PM, ben senise said:

something else i noticed the other day that i don't see mentioned in the owner's manual; the heated seat and steering wheel settings stay on when you leave the car. i haven't noticed how long they stayed on since i noticed it after stopping at the hardware store and being inside for 10-15 minutes. i don't know how long it will keep the settings though.

this is one of those little things that is a nice improvement. it's not a huge deal but when you go out to run a few errands, stop to put gas in the car, etc., it's tedious to have to turn those things back on every time.

i'm wondering how far back this feature goes. it wasn't like that on my '16 Ti.

it's also kind of nice that the car automatically shifts into P when you turn off the engine.

and one more thing that is great is that you can get out of the manual selection mode in S without having to go from S to D and back again. Just hold the "+" paddle for a couple of seconds and you're back in automatic and still in S mode. i posted a question about that in this forum a while back to see if i could do that in the '16. 

I need to monitor the heated seats in my 2020 ST. I do not have the heated steering wheel, so it will be interesting if the seats stay on for 'a while' after I get out of the car.

Also, did you happen to post images of your car? I remember you saying you 'debadge it'. I'd like to see that. 

56 minutes ago, circatee said:

I need to monitor the heated seats in my 2020 ST. I do not have the heated steering wheel, so it will be interesting if the seats stay on for 'a while' after I get out of the car.

Also, did you happen to post images of your car? I remember you saying you 'debadge it'. I'd like to see that. 

the seat heating doesn't stay on. the setting stays set to on so that when i get back to the car after stopping somewhere like a gas station the setting is on when i restart the car. 

not only did i de-badge the rear, i took off the front "ST" but i didn't like how that spot on the grill looked without the badge so i painted the badge gloss black and stuck it back on with 3M trim tape. i like it. it's very discreet.

edge1small.jpg

edge2small.jpg

edge3small.jpg

Edited by ben senise
reduced size of pics to be able to upload more
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, circatee said:

Ah, thanks. That car looks very nice. Mine is below. My Missus also blacked out the Ford emblem on the front, back and steering wheel...

what did you use to black out the ford emblem? i was thinking about doing that as well. do you have pics with a straight-on view? would be nice to see.

did you do anything to the ST on the steering wheel?

i'm not crazy about having tags all around a car. i don't need to tell everyone what car or engine i have. the red ST is a bit loud for my taste. i would prefer if i could remove all of them including the seat stitching.

i was torn between the performance blue and black but my last two edges were black so i decided on a change but i do like the black and yours looks great.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ben senise said:

what did you use to black out the ford emblem? i was thinking about doing that as well. do you have pics with a straight-on view? would be nice to see.

i'm not crazy about having tags all around a car. i don't need to tell everyone what car or engine i have. the red ST is a bit loud for my taste. i would prefer if i could remove all of them including the seat stitching.

i was torn between the performance blue and black but my last two edges were black so i decided on a change but i do like the black and yours looks great.

There is a photo here: 

And another here: 

Might have to zoom in for a better look. My Missus purchased the decal from someone on Etsy. She installed them, too, using her hair dryer - LOL!

I do not recall her doing anything to the steering wheel, just a little heat... 

30 minutes ago, circatee said:

There is a photo here: 

And another here: 

Might have to zoom in for a better look. My Missus purchased the decal from someone on Etsy. She installed them, too, using her hair dryer - LOL!

I do not recall her doing anything to the steering wheel, just a little heat... 

that's not bad. i thought it would be totally blank but i like this since it's just more discreet. i'll have to check this out. thanks

13 minutes ago, ben senise said:

that's not bad. i thought it would be totally blank but i like this since it's just more discreet. i'll have to check this out. thanks

This is the company on Etsy...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/772377701/ford-explorer-2020-2021-emblem-overlay?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=ford+emblem+decal&ref=sr_gallery-1-36&organic_search_click=1&bes=1 

3 hours ago, ben senise said:

For what is worth when I went to the ST school they gave us new black ST emblems.

18 minutes ago, niceonept said:

Cool. Where in East London?

But Arsenal....I would have thought it was Orient or West Ham?

I lived south of the river for most of the time I lived in London in Greenwich, and then in North London, Finchley.

Now down on the south coast.

Hackney, about 10 minutes walk from Mare Street. 

Spent the vast part of my time in North London, then worked there, too. Arsenal till I die :) (even though we suffered a brutal loss to Liverpool today). 

11 hours ago, circatee said:

Hackney, about 10 minutes walk from Mare Street. 

Spent the vast part of my time in North London, then worked there, too. Arsenal till I die :) (even though we suffered a brutal loss to Liverpool today). 

Must be quite different in out there in Georgia?

It's one state in the South I've not been to yet. Been to Virginia, Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas. Now need to do some of the Southern states to the east . Hopefully one day, when all the lockdown ends!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...