Cold Air Intake Edge ST & Sport 2.7EB

Xtra

On 7/11/2021 at 5:15 PM, Xtra said:

Good question, I don’t know if you have to have a tune with the V2&3 both installed.  The V2 runs fine with a stock tune & no one has a V3 yet.  I do know that a custom tune would extract the most from them.  Hope this helps answer your question. 

When do you think you'll start making these for sale??

3 hours ago, CM '17 Edge Sport said:

When do you think you'll start making these for sale??

Prototype parts are being molded this week, and testing will begin soon after. I know that the testing will take a few weeks.  I can't say exactly when the V3 will be available,  if you follow this thread you will be one of the first to know when the V3 air box and filter will become available. I regularly post updates on progress, and I am committed to getting the V3 into production ASAP.  Thanks for your interest. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Xtra said:

Prototype parts are being molded this week, and testing will begin soon after. I know that the testing will take a few weeks.  I can't say exactly when the V3 will be available,  if you follow this thread you will be one of the first to know when the V3 air box and filter will become available. I regularly post updates on progress, and I am committed to getting the V3 into production ASAP.  Thanks for your interest. 

No thank you for doing this! This is awesome stuff you're working on.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Today I picked up the test parts from the plastic shop and there were some problems with what I call the patch mold. It is much taller than the adaptor mold and I need to make the wood box larger so that there is more plastic to pull  around the taller part. The adaptor mold worked fine as is. I will make the patch mold box the same size as the adaptor mold box,  that will save on set up fees as only one set up will be necessary for both . 

One of the tests was a complete fail and blew out the ABS completely . Out of 4 attempts only one was good enough to test. 

IMG_7817.JPG

This was the best of 4. 

IMG_7818.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I was able to cut out a test part from this mess. 

IMG_7826.JPG

Here is the part that is used . 

IMG_7829.JPG

This is the test fit of the part on the V3 bottom half and it fits just fine. I just need to tweek the wood box part of the mold, then it will be ready for testing again. 

IMG_7834.jpg

This is the complete V3 air box assembled, looking at the side with the patch. Of course I will clean up the cuts and make then straight, but this is just quick test fit. This will never be seen as it is on the bottom side of the air box. I am liking this method over the adaptor. 

IMG_7835.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

Here is the adaptor, the mold worked as designed and made a good part. No mods are needed, and it is ready to go. 

IMG_7827.JPG

Here is the adaptor rough cut, ready for testing. 

IMG_7843.JPG

The three parts from L to R:   1. The V3 top half .    2.  Top of the stock air box bottom half .  3. The adaptor 

IMG_7839.JPG

The assembled V3  air box top half,  the adaptor, and the stock air box. It fits and works, but needs clamps ,and latches, and gates ,and and and .... This is why I like the patch method better.  

IMG_7851.JPG

This method may fit on cars that the custom V3 air box bottom half won't fit into. This method uses the OEM bottom half of the air box and the V3 filter top half.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned form a little vacation to get out of the heat for awhile. Today I was able to see if the latches and the gate I made wold work with the adaptor. I have not given the gate it's final shape yet, but it looks like all I will have to do is pop-rivet it in place once it is trimmed . The latches also appear to fit and work fine and are ready to be riveted to the adaptor plate.

In this photo you can see the top half of the V3 and how the aluminum latches will work. The round pipe sticking out of the top half is the sensor port. 

V3-A  LATCHES TEST.JPG

This is what I call the gate, for lack of a better word. It is located opposite of the aluminum latches and  completes the mounts for the top half to the adaptor

V3-A  GATE TEST.JPG

Above on the bottom left,  you can see the OEM latches that will hold the adaptor to the bottom half of the OEM air box. I have to make some parts for bottom half next..   

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Bought a new 12 inch compound miter saw at Harbor Freight today and tested it out by cutting some latches. I was able to cut out 8 of them quicker than I made the first one by hand. It cuts clean with a special blade made for cutting nonferrous metal. This tool is going to save a lot of time.

IMG_8134.JPG

IMG_8137.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 6

I have good news and bad . The good news first ... The Adaptor design works and fits. . The bad news is a problem with the ABS. Let me try to explain. The ABS I am using is .125 thick ( 1/8) when it is heated and pulled over the mold it stretches and gets thinner. At the top of the mold the ABS is .1 inch (1/10)  and that is acceptable. The problem is on the sides it thins out to .050 and that is too thin IMO. It would work for racing when you don't care about it lasting more than the race,, I am afraid that it will crack and it feels cheep and flimsy. I am going to see if we can use a thicker material that would work. If not then the part would need to be injected molded or pressure molded and not Vacuum formed. And I cannot afford to have molds like that made. So to sum it up ....the Adaptor is on hold for now and may be discontinued, :shrug: 

Last is there is good news,  the custom modified air box with the patch is still viable and in the works. All its needs is for the wood box part of the mold to be updated and a jig for cutting out the snorkel inlet. I also have to figure out how much it costs to make. Getting close, but still a lot to do. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

I think everyone that has been following this thread knows how hard I have worked to complete this project. :detective: :reading:

Today I  attempted to purchase 10 top half and 10 filters to get set for production,  a sizable investment of around $1, 500.  

They would not sell me the parts I need !!!!  :swear: 

They said it is not their business model to do that.!!!  :rant2: 

Makes me sick all that work, and blocked by big business. :hammer_self: 

Not sure what to do next.  :shrug:

Edited by Xtra
  • Sad 4

Thinking about it, I can still get the filters, and I have the elbow reducers sorted out. I would have to make an entirely new Air Box and not use any over the shelf parts except for the filter. This is a huge setback. Almost back to square one.  Ironic,  if this project does continue it would be the third version that would make it into production,  hence ... V3.  Man,  this took the wind out of my sails. So close, yet so far. I have invested  in development costs and countless hours of work. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Xtra said:

Thinking about it, I can still get the filters, and I have the elbow reducers sorted out. I would have to make an entirely new Air Box and not use any over the shelf parts except for the filter. This is a huge setback. Almost back to square one.  Ironic,  if this project does continue it would be the third version that would make it into production,  hence ... V3.  Man,  this took the wind out of my sails. So close, yet so far. I have invested several thousand so far in development costs and countless hours of work.  The V3 was going to cost somewhere around $550 to $600 bucks  ( Just a guess at this point )  and at that price I would have to sell a hundred just to make my money back. 

Do you have venmo so we can support you during this? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I was thinking that because the Vendor would not sell me in bulk the parts needed, perhaps if you could source the parts I could complete the intake for you with a kit or something ????

The thing about the kit is, you don't have to order it until you have procured the top half. They will sell the filter to anyone, but to get the lid ( Top Half) & gasket you have to call and ask someone !!  Tell them your lid was scratched or cracked or crushed in the garage by accident and you need a replacement.. lol  Once you have the lid & gasket you can order the filter online, then contact me for a kit. . 

I know this kit will fit 2015 to 2018 Edge Sport . It might even fit the ST , but at this time I cannot guarantee this. If anyone with an ST wants to try, I will gave a full refund for the kit if it does not fit, once the parts are returned. 

The parts kit would look something like this and include:

1. The complete modded bottom half with heat shield, ready to go . 

2. Temp sensor mount that you would have to attach to the top half. This is done with a small drill hole saw and two small mounting holes. Then pop rivets or machine screws with nylox nuts to hold it, seal with RTV .

3. Two mandrel bent 6061 aluminum Elbow reducers. These connect the filter to the car. 

4. Instructions.

5. Anything else needs to complete the install that I forgot on this list. 

If you like the kit idea let me know . If you have an idea on how to keep the V3 alive please speak up.  l am open to suggestion. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 4

I just finished putting a finish coat on the new wood base for the Patch mold just in case the kit idea takes off . I need to make a good patch part for mine anyway, even if the kit idea flops. 

I added 3/4 inch plywood all around to increase the base size. That way there is more plastic available to cover the mold. If it is not enough I will have to rebuild the wood base from scratch .

IMG_8152.JPG

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Xtra said:

I just finished putting a finish coat on the new wood base for the Patch mold just in case the kit idea takes off . I need to make a good patch part for mine anyway, even if the kit idea flops. 

I added 3/4 inch plywood all around to increase the base size. That way there is more plastic available to cover the mold. If it is not enough I will have to rebuild the wood base from scratch .

IMG_8152.JPG

So I have to find the top half of the airbox from ford to use with the kit?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Xtra said:

I was thinking that because the Vendor would not sell me in bulk the parts needed, perhaps if you could source the parts I could complete the intake for you with a kit or something ????

The thing about the kit is, you don't have to order it until you have procured the top half. They will sell the filter to anyone, but to get the lid ( Top Half) & gasket you have to call and ask someone !!  Tell them your lid was scratched or cracked or crushed in the garage by accident and you need a replacement.. lol  Once you have the lid & gasket you can order the filter online, then contact me for a kit. . 

I know this kit will fit 2015 to 2018 Edge Sport . It might even fit the ST , but at this time I cannot guarantee this. If anyone with an ST wants to try, I will gave a full refund for the kit if it does not fit, once the parts are returned. 

The parts kit would look something like this and include:

1. The complete modded bottom half with heat shield, ready to go . 

2. Temp sensor mount that you would have to attach to the top half. This is done with a small drill hole saw and two small mounting holes. Then pop rivets or machine screws with nylox nuts to hold it, seal with RTV .

3. Two mandrel bent 6061 aluminum Elbow reducers. These connect the filter to the car. 

4. Instructions.

5. Anything else needs to complete the install that I forgot on this list. 

If you like the kit idea let me know . If you have an idea on how to keep the V3 alive please speak up.  l am open to suggestion. 

Why can't we use the original airbox lid?

• Like 1

I have decided to go ahead and give the vendor and parts numbers for the lid and filter. I am concerned that if the vendor knows that you are not replacing a damaged lid then they won’t sell you one. They were adamant that they don’t support the Edge. I told them I had their kit on my F150 and I needed a replacement lid . The  lid is part of a kit for the F150 Raptor with 3.5L EB  and F150 with 2.7 or 3-5 EcoBoost . So you own a F150 with their intake installed between the years 2018. and 2020 and you need to get a replacement lid and gasket. Have a reason why if they ask ( scratch , broke, stuffed... )  If you say it is for an Edge I don’t think they will sell you one.  The lid and gasket costs around $55 to $60 as I remember. A great price.

The filter can be ordered on line and it comes in wet or dry from the same vendor it costs around $65 + tax. 

Dry air filter, disposable will not contaminate sensors  :

https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/air-induction/ford-air-filter-dry-media-f-150-ecoboost-raptor-limited-3-5l-2-7l

Oiled Air filter washable Better air flow than the dry filter,

https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/air-induction/ford-intake-replacement-filter-f-150-ecoboost-raptor-limited-3-5l-2-7l

Air filter sock fits both dry and wet filter

https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/air-induction/ford-intake-air-filter-sock-f-150-ecoboost-raptor-limited-3-5l-2-7l

The lid is from one of any of these kits, pick one that fits "your truck".  Remember you have this kit installed and need a replacement lid and gasket. 

A.  https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/air-induction/ford-intake-system-f-150-ecoboost-raptor-limited-3-5l      ... Raptor with 3.5L EB

B,  https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/air-induction/ford-intake-system-f-150-2-7l-ecoboost-2018-2020           ... F150 with 2.7L EB

** The two parts ( lid and Filter) will cost around $130 the kit price has not been set yet I am guessing that it will be between $350 and $420 I will try to get a hard number in the next few days. 

****** Don't even ask for the Redline Carbon Fiber lid. That is only sold as part of a a complete kit> guess if you wanted the CF bad enough you could get the complete kit and only use the lid. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CM '17 Edge Sport said:

So I have to find the top half of the airbox from ford to use with the kit?

The top half is not made by Ford. I will give the information on where to get the lid and filter here on this thread. But yes,  you will have to get the top half and the filter on your own and I will supply the rest. I am a bit concerned that the vendor may catch on if all of a sudden 20 people call and order a lid in one week. It is better to have the lid in hand before getting a kit. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

I took the rebuilt Patch mold to the plastic shop today . If it works they will make 5 patches to get started. They are also going to try to use a thicker material on the Adaptor. They think that 3/16 might do the job, but are not sure how well it will  conform to the mold. Although this has been a set back, it is not the end of the V3. At the start of this thread I said that all would be posted the wins and the losses.  It is all part of the journey. I just wish that I could find the Elbows at a better price, those elbows are the most expensive part of the kit. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Xtra said:

If you have an idea on how to keep the V3 alive please speak up.  l am open to suggestion. 

Sorry to hear the bad news. I think we as a collective is almost as disappointed as you are. 

Here are a couple of suggestions that may prove fruitful.

Can you use a different top? I know it makes it ultimately easier since thats what you based your design concept on. But maybe there is something else available that would work.

Have you considered 3D printing? Since you already have the top, perhaps someone could render/ model it and print it?  There's a guy here that recently printed a part and he says he does custom work.  Reach out to @clegg78 one never knows what y'all could come up with?

Have you considered having it done on a CNC machine. I know the start up programming can be costly but the choice of materials are almost endless and once you have the file you can take it almost anywhere they work with CNC and cut them for you.

Is there any kind of stamp or identification on the top half of the COBB part? I ask because I doubt COBB makes them and if they don't make them then they have to be made some where.

Have you tried reaching out to all of various social media platforms? FB, IG?  There maybe someone who knows someone etc

They say it can get worse before it gets better. Hopefully this is the worst of it and things will get better once you sort out the top. Don't despair, nor give up! Where their is a will, there is a way! You got this! We appreciate you!

HTH

Edited by onyxbfly
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

well, it is understandable why cobb is doing what they are doing, not being a large operation like Ford.  onyx makes some great suggestions, hopefully we can figure a way out.  but i am thinking we will have to make this part on our own for the community. @macbwt can certainly help if you need CNC machining contacts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1