Xtra

V3 Edge ST & Sport 2.7EB Air Box

I could not wait to finish there was an hour or so of light left so I went for it .. As you can see in the photo i finished at dusk 06/22/21. 

Both molds are now complete and ready to make some parts.   !!:happyfeet: 

1171815266_V3molds062221JPGcopy.thumb.jpg.218204ffbe3839d40011d8a425a8d160.jpg

It took a lot of work, research and learning about vacuum forming tools to get to this point of the project, and it feels good to see those 2 molds sitting there...Next is to test the parts they make, hope the molds don't need refining, and if everything checks out, move into the next phase of the project. 

:ford:

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

Recently retired after 40 years in manufacturing engineering. Did some pressure die cast and injection mold design work over the years, hence my keen interest in this thread. 👍

• Like 3

3 hours ago, handfiler said:

Recently retired after 40 years in manufacturing engineering. Did some pressure die cast and injection mold design work over the years, hence my keen interest in this thread. 👍

That's fantastic, I wish I had access to technology like you work with, I am just winging it, and learning as I go. .  die casting or injection molding of these things I am making would take them to the next level.  I can dream.  

To be honest, I worry if the molds I made will work.  Did I drill enough vacuum holes?  Did I place them correctly?   Will the part release?  Are the draft angles correct?  Will the parts even fit?  

The only way to know is to go for it.   We will find out in the next couple weeks.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Xtra said:

To be honest, I worry if the molds I made will work.  Did I drill enough vacuum holes?  Did I place them correctly?   Will the part release?  Are the draft angles correct?  Will the parts even fit?  

The only way to know is to go for it.   We will find out in the next couple weeks.

Yeah, go for it! I remember doing some vacuum moulding when I was at school in the 70s. It worked quite well if I remember rightly but can't remember at all what we did to make it happen!

• Like 1

Finally found the screws for the latch that work at a reasonable price. . First I looked at Shoulder bolts, but the cost was prohibitive at $7 to $15 each. I did not want to use machine screws and have a threaded axle. What I found was Blind Post Screws. Though they cost more than plain machine screws at $1.50 each, they are still affordable and offer a smooth axel for the latch. They are perfect, exactly what was needed. 

The diameter  of the blind post screw is spot on and the latch moves freely without slop. It makes a perfect axel. 

IMG_7644.JPG

The length is also spot on and could not be better, as the threads come even with the outside edge. 

IMG_7643.JPG

The length provides a smooth axel for the latch with no gaps. 

IMG_7642.JPG

There is a bit of right to left room for the latch to move, I could remove the slack, but this allows for variances in the hand made process. . I did this intentionally. 

IMG_7648.JPG

The finished latch ready to install on the adaptor.

I will probably make these myself as this part is not that visible, they are easy to make, and it will help control cost. .  

The low profile screw heads give a slick finish, and thread lock will keep them together. 

IMG_7649.JPG

Now that this latch is complete there are three other types of latches that need to be made and sorted out before the adaptor design is done. Each side of the adaptor will have a different type of latch to hold everything together. This latch holds the top half of the V3 to the adaptor.. One down three to go. 

:ford:

Edited by Xtra