Couple FMIC questions before I pull the trigger.

MrBelugaBiscuit

I have searched all the threads and have a few questions left. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I have yet to see any definitive results from a FMIC install, I have seen many people promise to post either Dyno/dragy/slips, but never seem to. Let's say I'm running E30 in my Edge Sport, full weight 401A/Pano/stock 21" rims on unleashed tune. I currently run 13.4 - 13.5 what would a typical improvement be?

Also, as far as I have researched nobody but Ultimate Performance makes a FMIC for the Edge Sport. I have seen a few of these with horrifying welds and cracking issues. Have they resolved those issues? And what is the warranty on the FMIC?

I don't think that anyone has subjectively measured just the FMIC, because most people usually do other mods in addition to the FMIC.  We have the same package/ options. I don't run E30.  I can't speak to what a typical improvement in regards to running E30. 

But I can say that without a doubt that your temps will come down and you will not suffer from heat soak unless under the most severe cases.  Which translates into more runs at the track for you without having to wait for her to cool down! 

Currently Ultimate Performance is the sole provider of the FMIC. I received one that looked like a bakers apprentice made it! Called UP and Matt the owner gave me 2 choices. Refund or replacement. He said they have a new welder and asked if I could give him some time to get new cores and give them another chance.  Due to life simply getting in the way, combined with Covid I damn near forgot about it. 

Dropped Matt a line and he stated the same. Refund or replacement. Nothing to talk about. Didn't give me a hard time or anything.  I'm glad that I waited. I unboxed my FMIC and was greeted with a work of art. 

If you decide to go forward I hope your experience is the same if not better!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, onyxbfly said:

I don't think that anyone has subjectively measured just the FMIC, because most people usually do other mods in addition to the FMIC.  We have the same package/ options. I don't run E30.  I can't speak to what a typical improvement in regards to running E30. 

But I can say that without a doubt that your temps will come down and you will not suffer from heat soak unless under the most severe cases.  Which translates into more runs at the track for you without having to wait for her to cool down!

I could be wrong, but I believe the idea behind the FMIC isn't to add power, but to prevent the loss of power, which I believe you were alluding to.

This helps keep the intake air cooler, and in turn allows the engine to run more advanced timing than if you keep the stock intercooler and allow IAT's to go up when pushing hard or sitting still.

• Like 2

I appreciate the replies. Power isn't what I was expecting. I apologize if it came off that way. I was just wanting to know an average reduction in 1/4 times due to the power not being dialed back from heat soak. Also one last question, does the front grill by the FMIC need opened up? I came across conflicting information.

58 minutes ago, dolsen said:

I could be wrong, but I believe the idea behind the FMIC isn't to add power, but to prevent the loss of power, which I believe you were alluding to.

This helps keep the intake air cooler, and in turn allows the engine to run more advanced timing than if you keep the stock intercooler and allow IAT's to go up when pushing hard or sitting still.

You got it! I figured since he's running a E30 tune, he's aware of the science behind it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MrBelugaBiscuit said:

I appreciate the replies. Power isn't what I was expecting. I apologize if it came off that way. I was just wanting to know an average reduction in 1/4 times due to the power not being dialed back from heat soak. Also one last question, does the front grill by the FMIC need opened up? I came across conflicting information.

No worries, you're fine.  My front grill is not open and I feel and appreciate the benefits.  If the opportunity presented itself to get a modded grill, I would get one. From what I understand the airflow is increased by opening it up.   @snmjim or @Special_K are in a unique position to answer any and all of your questions regarding speed.  They helped develop the FMIC and CNC grill. If I'm not mistaken they installed the first one produced for a member here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrBelugaBiscuit said:

I have searched all the threads and have a few questions left. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I have yet to see any definitive results from a FMIC install, I have seen many people promise to post either Dyno/dragy/slips, but never seem to. Let's say I'm running E30 in my Edge Sport, full weight 401A/Pano/stock 21" rims on unleashed tune. I currently run 13.4 - 13.5 what would a typical improvement be?

Also, as far as I have researched nobody but Ultimate Performance makes a FMIC for the Edge Sport. I have seen a few of these with horrifying welds and cracking issues. Have they resolved those issues? And what is the warranty on the FMIC?

Hey OP!  SO short answer..... an aftermarket fmic will help primarily with charge temps and will help with keeping lower charge temps and thus more timing maintaining power and lowering quarter mile times (unknown amount).

But stock FMIC temps on a 0-130 MPH pull would start at 75F and end at a steamy 218F with 6 degrees of timing pull.  Ambient was 69F (ha).

Same day installed an ultimate performance intercooler did a 0-130 pull.  Started at 81F ending at 147F,  And 0 timing pull.  Ambient was 78F.

So yes it helps

Long answer:

To keep production costs down, oftentimes the OEM intercooler is fairly small. It will typically get the job done, but as soon as you start increasing boost pressure or adding bolt-on modifications, the OEM intercooler can hold you back.

Adding a larger intercooler without any tuning will not really add any power. The charge air temperature will be lower resulting in denser air, but the larger intercooler can add a slight amount of drag which can somewhat negate any power gains.

The real magic of installing an aftermarket turbo intercooler is the ability to run a more aggressive tune without running into detonation. A larger intercooler is also less susceptible to heat soaking, which means you can stay out on the drag strip or race track longer without losing power.

Do Intercoolers Add Horsepower?

To put it simply: no, a turbo intercooler will not really add any horsepower to your car. It does, however, give you much more wiggle room for a more aggressive tune without the risk of harming your engine.

It should be noted, however, that too large of an intercooler can actually do more harm than good. If you have an extremely massive intercooler, you will cause more turbocharger lag and more drag inside the whole system.

FAQs:

Will a Bigger Intercooler Increase Power? – Without proper tuning, an intercooler by itself won’t increase power by any substantial amount, because your OEM ECU tune may not increase boost or ignite timing when it sees safer charge air temperatures.

What Does an Intercooler Do? – The job of your intercooler is simple – cool the hot compressed air coming from your turbocharger before it enters your engine.

Will it Decrease Boost Pressure? – Depending on your application, the size of the turbocharger, and the size of the intercooler, it’s possible to see decreased boost pressure after installing an aftermarket intercooler.

Do I Need a Tune? – Technically, no you don’t need an aftermarket tune with an aftermarket intercooler for the majority of applications, however, we highly recommend installing an ECU tune or piggyback system to capitalize on your lower charge air temperatures.

Luckily you will almost never run into this problem as spatial constraints will force you to run an intercooler that typically isn’t too much larger than the factory unit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Special_K said:

Hey OP!  SO short answer..... an aftermarket fmic will help primarily with charge temps and will help with keeping lower charge temps and thus more timing maintaining power and lowering quarter mile times (unknown amount).

But stock FMIC temps on a 0-130 MPH pull would start at 75F and end at a steamy 218F with 6 degrees of timing pull.  Ambient was 69F (ha).

Same day installed an ultimate performance intercooler did a 0-130 pull.  Started at 81F ending at 147F,  And 0 timing pull.  Ambient was 78F.

So yes it helps

Long answer:

To keep production costs down, oftentimes the OEM intercooler is fairly small. It will typically get the job done, but as soon as you start increasing boost pressure or adding bolt-on modifications, the OEM intercooler can hold you back.

Adding a larger intercooler without any tuning will not really add any power. The charge air temperature will be lower resulting in denser air, but the larger intercooler can add a slight amount of drag which can somewhat negate any power gains.

The real magic of installing an aftermarket turbo intercooler is the ability to run a more aggressive tune without running into detonation. A larger intercooler is also less susceptible to heat soaking, which means you can stay out on the drag strip or race track longer without losing power.

Do Intercoolers Add Horsepower?

To put it simply: no, a turbo intercooler will not really add any horsepower to your car. It does, however, give you much more wiggle room for a more aggressive tune without the risk of harming your engine.

It should be noted, however, that too large of an intercooler can actually do more harm than good. If you have an extremely massive intercooler, you will cause more turbocharger lag and more drag inside the whole system.

FAQs:

Will a Bigger Intercooler Increase Power? – Without proper tuning, an intercooler by itself won’t increase power by any substantial amount, because your OEM ECU tune may not increase boost or ignite timing when it sees safer charge air temperatures.

What Does an Intercooler Do? – The job of your intercooler is simple – cool the hot compressed air coming from your turbocharger before it enters your engine.

Will it Decrease Boost Pressure? – Depending on your application, the size of the turbocharger, and the size of the intercooler, it’s possible to see decreased boost pressure after installing an aftermarket intercooler.

Do I Need a Tune? – Technically, no you don’t need an aftermarket tune with an aftermarket intercooler for the majority of applications, however, we highly recommend installing an ECU tune or piggyback system to capitalize on your lower charge air temperatures.

Luckily you will almost never run into this problem as spatial constraints will force you to run an intercooler that typically isn’t too much larger than the factory unit.

This! This is the gold that people join forums for. This is an excellent reply.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, TT Steve said:

These guys are in my backyard. Going to visit them in person and get some info on the intercooler and anything else for the Edge ST. 

Steve

Please share your findings.

We'd specifically like to know if the FMIC for the 2015-2018 is the same for all ST years?

https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/oem-parts/ford-inter-cooler-f2gz6k775a

sadly seems to be the same one as on the 2.0!

Make Body & Trim Engine & Transmission
2020 Ford Edge SE, SEL, ST, ST-Line, Titanium 2.0L L4 - Gas, 2.7L V6 - Gas
2020 Lincoln Nautilus Base, Black Label, Reserve, Select 2.0L L4 - Gas, 2.7L V6 - Gas
2019 Ford Edge SE, SEL, ST, Titanium 2.0L L4 - Gas, 2.7L V6 - Gas
2019 Lincoln Nautilus Base, Black Label, Reserve, Select 2.0L L4 - Gas, 2.7L V6 - Gas
2018 Ford Edge SE, SEL, Sport, Titanium 2.0L L4 - Gas, 2.7L V6 - Gas
2018 Lincoln MKX Black Label, Premiere, Reserve, Select 2.7L V6 - Gas
2017 Ford Edge SE, SEL, Sport, Titanium 2.0L L4 - Gas, 2.7L V6 - Gas
2017 Lincoln MKX Black Label, Premiere, Reserve, Select 2.7L V6 - Gas
2016 Ford Edge SE, SEL, Sport, Titanium 2.0L L4 - Gas, 2.7L V6 - Gas
2016 Lincoln MKX Black Label, Premiere, Reserve, Select 2.7L V6 - Gas
2015 Ford Edge SE, SEL, Sport, Titanium 2.0L L4 - Gas, 2.7L V6 - Gas
  • Like 2

On 7/20/2021 at 11:44 PM, TT Steve said:

These guys are in my backyard. Going to visit them in person and get some info on the intercooler and anything else for the Edge ST. 

Steve

I believe that @Perblue has the UP FMIC on his ST. Maybe he can tell you if there is any fitment concerns on installing it on a ST.

I did have some. The intercooler sits about an inch lower than the lower rad support. To fix this I had to remove one bolt on each of the hot and cold side pipe that keeps them attacked to the rad, cut off the bolt tabs that stick out the front of the lower rad support(has to be done no matter what), dremeled out the mounting holes in the mounting tabs on the intercooler to make an upside-down U shape(would help if they lowered the tab or a larger one with 2 holes), had a friend help push it up and bolt it in with washers on the bolts. By doing this it will sit a little higher than the bottom of the lower rad support, less likely to bottom it out, and only about a quarter inch below the condenser, allowing you to keep the ags if you choose, lines the intercooler up better with the opening in the bumper and only need to trim a couple indents out the lower splash guard. Leaving it how it comes makes the fitment of the lower splash guard look bad and doesn't line up nice with the bumper opening. Doing what I've listed makes it look almost stock and even with keeping the ags it dropped my charge temps by 70-80 F, basically from about 220 down to about 150 on the day i tested it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, got the FMIC installed today. I decided to take out the entire AGS system. I now realized I made a mistake. My hood latch warning light is staying on and preventing me from using remote start. Also ambient air sensor is popping up too. Is there a way to bypass this or turn off with forscan?

On a positive note the temps have dropped to about 20° above ambient on a 0-100 pull.

Edited by MrBelugaBiscuit

• 4 weeks later...

I just picked up mine from UP but did purchase through Torrie at Unleashed. I talked to Matt about the install and he really only mention cutting a lip on the lower radiator support but didn't mention much about anything else except the plastic that goes under it after install. Tight fit but will go back on with effort. That is all I know, 

I can't do any installs yet as I had to go to the ER for my back and sciatica. After a MRI, I found I have 2 herniated disks bulging against my sciatic nerve. No wonder the pain got so bad after a few months. Because how bad it looked, referred to a neuro surgeon. My primary doctor agreed. Ugh!

• Sad 2